Threads of Potential vs Boon of the Seeress

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Maxxbuff1, Jan 22, 2018.

1. kizant Augur

Well Fury of the Gods doesn't actually work with Tome or Hedgewizards/Dragonmagic since they're not focusable.
  2. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I was running pyromancy at the time, and yeah manaburn was there too(not shown here though).
    Think S33k3r had a boxed chanter with him on the fight, could very well be that.

Think the group was wizard(me) druid(S33k3r)+his 2 boxes: enchanter and SK, might have been mercs too. I honestly can't remember. :confused:
  3. kizant Augur

I wouldn't worry about it too much. That really isn't an abnormal number of procs or anything. That is a where a good amount of our dps comes from.
  4. Jumbur Improved Familiar

well, at least we can confirm that the corruption belt is indeed powerful for a wizard. :)
    Looks like it won't get upgraded soon...
  5. Brohg Augur

peep timestamps, yo. that's all one spellcast
    fransisco and Jumbur like this.
  6. kizant Augur

It does look like you cast Braid with twincast and it proc'd an ethereal. So, 4 total big hits.

Oh and yeah in the beta forum discussions Ngreth basically said it's never getting upgraded and he wishes it never existed. I tried pushing for a larger increase to the threads belt and we got 3k instead of 1.5k. Of course, I wanted at least 4.5k... but oh well. I can sorta see why he might not want to upgrade it that high considering other casters get less out of the corruption proc. If you balance around the middle then 3k might almost make sense (not really). Sucks for us though.
    Jumbur likes this.
  7. Sindaiann Augur

Lol that's Ngreth response to almost anything

I hate it. Should of never existed. It was a chase item and I refuse to perpetuate this trend

Smh
    kizant likes this.
  8. Brohg Augur

I think it's understandable that to a producer, habitually turning 1 spell cast into 22 target+range+resist+damage+whatever_nonsense calculations is an undesirable direction for game development. The challenge we obviously wish he would embrace is how to move in a friendly fashion forward into a simultaneously friendlier direction for game management rather than just nerf / omit upgrades until players are annoyed into giving up powers.

Taking inspiration from the dot consolidation, the expected damage addition from level-appropriate proc effects could be rolled into the nukes themselves, then level cap the old augs to be unusable, so the same damage from less game engine busyness? I've no details to back that up, just a brainstorm. Certainly Jumbur would rather have landed that whole 4.3 million point bomb off his own spell than broken up into 22 bits. With the source and type reported in-line with the damage, plz. "Jumbur's Fiery Sock Spell Raaaar burns Cactiikii for 4287312 points of fire damage!"
    IblisTheMage and Jumbur like this.
  9. gnomeboss Augur

let's have a belt that plays a sound if you crit for over insert_a_large_number_here.

[IMG]
  10. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Agree, I would prefer simple game mechanics, where my potential damage-output is much easier to predict, based on spellcasts. Everquest is confusing jungle of game-mechanics right now. Having to parse a whole wall of text just to figure out what one spell-cast do, is not helping. :confused:

Having real-time-updated crit-damage-modifiers/base-damage-modifiers/crit-%-chance/proc-rate/etc. on my stat-pane(or a separate window in the corner) would help a little, but it won't change the fact that I still need to know 30+ different cross-class abilities to know what to expect when I cast a spell. :eek:
  11. IblisTheMage Augur

Is there a similar belt for group game?
  12. Sancus Augur

IblisTheMage likes this.
  13. Brohg Augur

if Ingenious Phlogiston Belt / Skywing Threaded Sash had a Threads II on it for 4500, then we'd have a conversation
  14. IblisTheMage Augur

15. Ibadan Kun'Tirel Augur

16. Ibadan Kun'Tirel Augur

A bit less damage, though
  17. Horyuken Augur

To clarify, if you cast a dot it will do a fraction of the 3000 each tick ? If the dot is 10 ticks it is 300 per tick and not 3000 per tick?
  18. Sancus Augur

It'll do 3000 / (Base_Duration + 1), where Base_Duration is measured in ticks. Because you have some amount of DoT extension, assuming your DoT lasts its full duration, you will gain more than 3000 total damage.

For example, if your DoT has a base duration of 5 ticks, each tick will receive 500 extra damage. But if that DoT lasts 9 ticks with extensions, you'll gain 4500 total damage.
  19. Ibudin Augur

So, is "threads" better for necro over the Belt of Boromas. ?
  20. menown Augur

It depends on the situation. The data below shows what each Necro DoT would receive from the Threads of Potential belt. Focuses includes 1-35% Det. duration (raid), 1-5% Det. duration potion, and the first 3 ranks of Lingering Death AA (3 extra ticks to all DoTs). Now, because all DoTs have random duration, because of the focus effects, I accounted for the lowest return and highest return based on shortest duration and longest duration that the DoT can last.

Duration ... Dmg/Ticks ... +dmg/tick
    1:36 ......... 3000/17 = ........ 176
    .................. 176*22 = ........ 3872 LOW
    .................. 176*26 = ........ 4576 HIGH
    1:24 ......... 3000/15 = ........ 200
    .................. 200*20 = ........ 4000 LOW
    .................. 200*23 = ........ 4600 HIGH
    1:00 ......... 3000/11 = ........ 272
    .................. 272*16 = ........ 4352 LOW
    .................. 272*18 = ........ 4896 HIGH
    0:54 ......... 3000/10 = ........ 300
    .................. 300*15 = ........ 4500 LOW
    .................. 300*16 = ........ 4800 HIGH
    0:42 .......... 3000/8 = ......... 375
    .................. 375*13 = ........ 4875 ALWAYS
    0:30 .......... 3000/6 = ......... 500
    .................. 500*11 = ........ 5500 ALWAYS

You will notice that the shorter duration DoTs receive a higher bonus than the longer duration DoTs. This is because of the Lingering Death AA line that adds 3 ticks to all DoTs, no matter what their duration is. You will also notice that Cytotoxic Wounds and all Doom DoTs do not receive double benefit from their second DoT. Threads of Potential requires a mana cost of (100) which the Doom effects do not have. Also, Swift DoTs do not receive any bonus damage from the Threads effect. They always do 3000 damage which is divided up by their base (2) + ghost tick (1). No extension focus or AA adds to them.

Now to the theory portion. You only gain the full damage of Threads listed above if the DoT lasts its full duration. This is never the case in groups. Even in raids you will lose some damage from when the boss dies and you still have DoTs that have not reached their full duration.

The other option is the Runed Belt of Boromas. With max AAs and no adps, the belt hits for 1232 dmg 42% of the time and crits for 6507 dmg 58% of the time. It can twincast and it scales with ADPS.

However, the Force of Corruption X proc is a DD and will break roots. If you truly want to min/max. I would use the Threads of Potential belt for root rotting, and the Force of Corruption X belt for pet tanking and grouping. The DPS gain at the raid level is negligible. Use either for raids. Necros get zero activateables for DDs and procs. Any bonus damage would come from outside sources of adps.
    Venau likes this.