Thoughts on Distillates and Potions (Return in LDoN?)

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by RandomStrategy, May 23, 2018.

1. RandomStrategy Augur

I know there is an entirely too long forum post about the distillate removal and such in another post, but my thoughts here are more specific to a statement by Ngreth that (possibly paraphrasing) "at best will return in DoN".

I, much like everyone else, was taken aback about the sudden removal of the recipes for distillates and after some time to settle on it, I understand. I don't necessarily support or not support this decision, but I realize that they're mainly just 'convenience' at minimum, and a bit OP with the celestial healing helping to trivialize some of the PoTime bosses (Bertoxx, I'm looking at you).

What I did realize since they were removed was that we didn't need the distillates to get through PoTime at all (it was easier than I thought it would be), as long as we did what the strats recommended.

When I think toward the future of Agnarr, while it still has a healthy population, as time goes on, we're going to inevitably have a fading of the population, probably pretty heavily after LDoN releases, or if a new (interesting, not a jab at Coirnav, I just didn't find it compelling enough for myself) TLP server releases, too. This may be a good point to reintroduce distillates.

I'm not necessarily asking for a dev response, but I hope that you all do read this and give it some consideration. That all said, I do hope to be able to make them in the future on Agnarr, cause I did find them really convenient to have.
    discordkitty likes this.
  2. HoodenShuklak Augur

Hard to argue against just toning them down.

Until agnarr hit 65 and these pots became clickable you literally never heard anyone talk about them. Does anyone even know how much the level 60 pot healed for? Certainly couldnt have kept that a secret seeing how long weve been 60 capped.

The dev team literally threw the baby out with the bathwater. Bring it back and clean it up.
  3. Kahna Augur

You couldn't make the heal pots until PoP came out. One of the store bought items was only available in PoK. Same with Clarity. The Spirituality pots were the only ones that could be made earlier than PoP.
  4. taliefer Augur

the level 65 HoT potion is severely out of whack compared to every other potion of every other type. the level 60 heal pot heals ~ 300 a tick whereas the 65 one heals for ~700 a tick. the level 70 one only jumps up to ~900
  5. Machentoo Augur

Let's not forget though, that the original healing potions from classic era were pretty overpowered too. 300 hp instant heal, chain clickable, no cooldown. Yeah, you had to farm a component to make it, but if you farmed enough, a level 52 monk could solo Nagafen. Can't really say that about the new potions with the current motm Nagafen!

Edit -- point being there has always been a way to deal with ae damage by clickable potion, it has just changed over time and ease of acquisition.
  6. snailish Augur

Depends how clickable power is viewed in the context of modern progression.

Devs may move all of it into OoW, SoD or who knows...
  7. Darchon_Xegony Augur

The components you refer to were ice giant toes. Of which there are 3 spawns in Everfrost, and about 10 in Permafrost. You'd frequently go full spawn cycles without a single toe.

Whereas people sold HoT potions for 10-20pp each because of how easy the components are to come by. Also these HoT potions at level 60, heal for 300/tick for 4 ticks. You'd need 4 Wort potions (ice giant toes) to accomplish the same thing in addition to the raw platinum cost of Balm Leaves which are around 60-80pp each. So to match one HoT potion which frequently get sold for 10-20pp, you would need to farm 4 Ice Giant toes and spend around 300pp.

While yes, Stinging Wort potions existed, they weren't a reliable thing to farm / count on for healing AEs or just general soloing. As you mentioned they were primarily for soloing Nagafen and winning duels.