This should be the next TLP! Jenn Chan, I summon you! Must see the future of EQ.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by MMOer, Feb 15, 2024.

1. MMOer Augur

This is the right direction. Do it! Just dooooo it!
  2. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

As if getting seasick on some mounts wasn't bad enough.
    Shalom, code-zero and OldTimeEQ1 like this.
  3. Kahna Augur

I tried playing a VR game that had you walking instead of teleporting. I literally fell over while standing in my living room. I then wanted to puke. My brain just can't.
    Shalom and Rijacki like this.
  4. Arclyte Augur

Now drink a bunch of gator gulp ale with a VR headset and try to run through kelethin
    code-zero likes this.
  5. Dre. Altoholic

Modern lighting in old FP really pops.
  6. Vicus Augur

VR MMO's are going to be the future. If anyone has ever tried Zenith Online or OrbusVR, stepping into those worlds for the first time is the only time I've had the same feeling as I did stepping into Kelethin for the first time in 99. It is amazing. But people who don't know about VR and how to make it work smoothly think that you get sick all the time and it's unplayable.

New VR systems like the Quest 3 paired with a good computer for Steam VR will see things they never imagined.

The next game that will probably change the VR landscape for MMO's is going to be https://www.ascent-quest.com/

Think DDO meets EQ with some WoW skill tree's.
  7. Shalom Quillmane Bane

Unfortunately both VR and MMOs are basically dead. All the MMO's after EQ (besides WoW) are kickstarter scams that have barely lifted off the ground before being canceled.

VR is a fun novelty to show your grandma but after an hour of using the headset it becomes extremely fatiguing. The technology has been publicly available for over 10 years now and it hasn't taken off. It's extremely difficult to get funding for a new MMO. It will be impossible to get funding for an MMO for a technology that a small population has adopted.
    Rijacki likes this.
  8. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

To add to this... all the recent games touted as MMOs have been entirely tiny niche or aren't really MMOs but games where you can have multiplayers on your self-hosted or possibly game company hosted small "servers". BG3, as an example, allows a maximum of 4 players on a multiplayer "server" which is just and only an instance of the world unique to that group. The world isn't persistent. It only exists while those players are online in it. In that respect, it's exactly the same as Diablo II back in the 90s. The idea of a persistent world with hundreds of players online in that world that can interact with each other has sadly gone the way of the Dodo. It's far too expensive to develop and run and the profit potential is not enough to offset the costly risk of it being a failure (and a failure now could be something that was considered a profitable success in the past).
    Shalom likes this.
  9. Kahna Augur

Hmm some people's brains just can't handle the disconnect between the image the eyes are seeing and the feeling the inner ear is reporting about not moving. Some people are fine. About 20% of the population basically never gets motion sickness. 20% is hyper sensitive to disconnects between what they are seeing and what they are feeling. The rest of the world falls somewhere in the middle. I am one of the hypersensitive 20%. I just can't, I don't care how smooth it is, I don't care how cutting edge the technology is, if my eyes say we are moving and my inner ear says we aren't my brain jumps to "We've been poisoned! Purge, Purge, Purge" and I am puking. End of story.
    Rijacki and Shalom like this.
  10. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casualâ„¢

People already don't want to upgrade their potato for DX11, do you think they are going to update for VR?
    Rijacki likes this.
  11. Lineater Augur

This is the worst TLP idea of all time. Change my mind.