This is my yearly reminder that you can use P99 HD textures by skipping the launcher.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Pizzanomicon, May 20, 2022.

1. Pizzanomicon Augur

Not sure if you missed the part where it says.

"Plus, this puts us on a path to have more and higher resolution art in the game."

Like.... couldn't be more literal if they tried.

Also, not sure if you missed the part where they are hiring for their art department. Not saying it's related but you know.

https://www.everquest.com/news/darkpaw-games-is-hiring

" environment artist,"

" Yes we really need three."

Feel free to add more contrarian retorts and act like you're offended because someone helped you understand something. I'll wait.
  2. Timmyboi Dunning Kruger Award Winner

lol i cant believe you're still doing it okay dude :cool:
  3. Pizzanomicon Augur

I mean I can't believe your reading comprehension is this low but okay dude :cool:.
  4. Timmyboi Dunning Kruger Award Winner

It's just that you're a master of reinterpretation :)
    Pizzanomicon likes this.
  5. Pizzanomicon Augur

I'll just sit on my win here because it's not like you can articulate anything of substance.
  6. brickz Augur

Nowhere does it say they are considering remastering old textures, that was just your inference. My equally valid inference is that they would use higher res art in future expansions
  7. Pizzanomicon Augur

Could be either or both. Also, I never said explicitly " that they were remastering old textures( I mean it's already been done so it's inconsequential ) ," but it has been explicitly stated they are looking to increase the resolution of textures, which again could be either or both.

People have been asking for texture modernization since the EQ license was sold. It's something devs are aware of that is wanted. 1440p is the new 1080p. The reason this wasn't made a priority was explicitly because of the client being 32 bit and the UI needs a serious overhaul ( hence why it's on the timeline.)

Not sure if you are aware but easily acquirable AI learning programs can basically do the work quite fast with an environment artist doing minor touch ups here and there. This is pretty well known in the industry , so I don't see that it's really outrageous to think.

People get these wild ideas that improving past EQ textures is like some colossal undertaking, but it's really not.
  8. code-zero Augur

That's the goofiest looking DE female I've ever seen.
  9. brickz Augur

I don't think the 5 people working at darkpaw have the time to go through the entire game and fix the issues AI upscaling causes. Whoever rockstar farmed their remaster out to didn't

[IMG]
  10. Quillman New Member

dude, where's my car? :cool:
  11. Pizzanomicon Augur

Considering one person was already working on eq with pretty good success ( AI learning ) and says each zone doesn't take that much time, I'd beg to differ.

You have to remember EQ's assets aren't remotely as complex as this example.
  12. Zansobar Augur

That doesn't say they will increase textures. It just says it "puts them on a path to have more and higher resolution art" meaning it gives them the ability. They've had the ability to do a lot of things they refuse to do, so don't count on it ever happening.
  13. Zansobar Augur

It's almost a certainty that those hires have zero to do with updating the base classic game and more about adding graphics to upcoming expansions that I will never ever play.
  14. Zansobar Augur

This. DPG does very little to invest in the TLP community they are all about the Live game.
  15. Jumbur Improved Familiar

The only reason DBG has to NOT update textures, is to satisfy the die-hard nostalgia players who like the ancient look.

DBG has previously upgraded the graphics retroactively: Velious hd-armor for players, complete hi-res texture-pack for luclin and luclin models. Graphic overhaul of all classic zones, Plan to update player-models post TSS, and the only thing that stopped them last time, was that some players complained a lot.

If it wasn't for the players, the entire pre luclin-game wouldn't be in this ancient state by now. At least that is my impression.

I don't think DBG would have any problem modernizing the game, it is the players that are "holding them back".

I think the whole mass boxing-trend is a bit of hurdle for DBG though. It is probably quite tricky to modernize the client and make the game "look modern" while still keeping the system-requirements so low, that people can box entire groups on a single PC. Maybe true-box and and banning "automators" is their way to "condition" the players to adjust to future system requirements?
    Chikkin and Pizzanomicon like this.
  16. Pizzanomicon Augur

I mean the UI revamp is going to be huge I hope. I think it's the thing that bugs me overall the most because every year I have to make effort to work on custom UI stuff so I can enjoy the game because 1440p xD.

I feel like this game could eventually have the respect and consistent longevity that a game like Runescape does if it just had a consistent experience.
    Stymie, Chikkin and Jumbur like this.
  17. Massimo_Bertoxx Augur

I think we will see a lot more once the client gets updated. And, no, it has nothing to do with "nostalgia" as was suggested. Lol.
    Stymie and Pizzanomicon like this.
  18. Pizzanomicon Augur

Client has already been updated.
  19. Massimo_Bertoxx Augur

The 64 bit upgrade already happened?
    Pizzanomicon likes this.
  20. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Yep, its a 64bit game now, both server and client. You can see it in the task manager, it no longer says (32bit) after the application-name. It was a fairly smooth transition. :cool:

They have already started to increase other limitations of the game as well. Like the debuff limit, which was quite a bottleneck for dotters on live servers.
    Pizzanomicon likes this.