This is my yearly reminder that you can use P99 HD textures by skipping the launcher.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Pizzanomicon, May 20, 2022.

1. Pizzanomicon Augur

If a patch happens, you will have to redo these steps ( except the last ) because you can't login with certain incorrect files.

Just look up EQ Classic HD , then look up Everquest 4xHD ( first result.) Download those both.
    Follow the instructions, just dragging and dropping.

Now google how to skip EQ launcher, follow those instructions.

Enjoy crispy pixels.

Not the highest quality screen but this is 1440p if anyone was wondering.

[IMG]
    Stymie, KimchiGoddess and Bobbybick like this.
  2. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casualâ„¢

To add, if you create a folder inside your EQ install directory, when you do have to patch, once that's done, you can copy and paste the HD files over to the main directory. Easy peasy.
    Pizzanomicon likes this.
  3. MMOer Augur

technically this violates the terms as you are modding the game files.

will they care? don't know.

The textures look good but I want to play classic not EQR
  4. Pizzanomicon Augur

This is absolutely not violating the TOS. The files that you are changing do not interact with the server whatsoever. It's not possible for it to impact anyone but your experience.

I literally post about this once a year just so people know about crispy pixels. If it were against the TOS, I'm sure someone would've said something lmao, not that it's going to stop anyone.
  5. MMOer Augur

Not trying to argue about it. I doubt they would care since its just res... but their care level is not my call.

7.1. While playing, streaming, or otherwise using the Daybreak Games, you agree not to:
    • Modify any part of any Daybreak Game(s), including, without limitation, any Daybreak Game client and/or server.
    Pretty sure ANY part would include textures and such and ANY game would include EQ.
  6. Stymie Pendragon

Thank you for the heads up! I truly don't know why someone feels the need to quote the rules for something that Daybreak should incorporate anyways. It looks a lot better than the default textures. Even the Luclin ones look as old, if not older, than their age at this point.
    Chikkin and Pizzanomicon like this.
  7. Timmyboi Dunning Kruger Award Winner

Subjective and arbitrary
  8. Stymie Pendragon

That is how opinions work, right?
    Pizzanomicon likes this.
  9. Pizzanomicon Augur

THE TEXTURE FILES ARE NOT PART OF THE CLIENT OR SERVER. The CLIENT is EQGAME.EXE.

What that means is, do not use software that calls hooks onto the EQGAME.EXE ( the client.)

There's a reason you can run most PC games online with texture mods because they are not connected to the main executable, client or otherwise. Textures are only there for your viewing pleasure, you can actually turn them completely off via the config and play EQ with stick figures !

Please learn about stuff before saying stuff lmao. There's no argument. I'm just trying to learn you some stuff. You're welcome. Learning new things everyday.
  10. Timmyboi Dunning Kruger Award Winner

It was an assertion
  11. Pizzanomicon Augur

Considering devs have more or less said they intend to update textures and the UI within the next year or two, I wouldn't " assert," that so confidently.

There was a reason for the update to a 64 bit client ;)
  12. Timmyboi Dunning Kruger Award Winner

yeah it was all for the textures lmao
  13. Zansobar Augur

I've never seen them say anything about updating textures, only a new UI engine.
  14. Arclyte Augur

How far into the games expansions are these textures? velious?
  15. Pizzanomicon Augur

Sadly Velious is where the buck stops. As far as I know there are no current projects that run past Velious.
  16. Stymie Pendragon

I'm not really in the mood to argue semantics, and I'm not sure what your intent is with these replies. I'm going to go with trolling for now, but feel free to pleasantly surprise me.
  17. Pizzanomicon Augur

I mean it's literally part of a laundry list of reasons, and yes those reasons include the above mentioned things.

Do you just enjoy being randomly contrarian and keeping your profile private so people can't see that you probably fancy yourself " a bit of a troll?" A very bad one at that.

Like, I can't tell if you're just incompetent or a troll, but I guess that's the magic of internet anonymity.
  18. Pizzanomicon Augur

19. Timmyboi Dunning Kruger Award Winner

20. Pizzanomicon Augur

I mean it's the producers words my dude. They stated literal reasons. It's not an opinion. Sure it's not in the official timeline for the next year, but that's because the UI revamp takes priority ( again their words not mine.)