Thinking of returning with questions.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by oldemangamer, Oct 15, 2018.

1. oldemangamer Augur

Hi there. I'm an old vet who played at original EQ launch and then came back for Fippy Darkpaw and played on that for several months.

I was thinking about coming back to play on a TLP.

I was leaning toward Coirnav.

1. Is it still active, can I get groups while leveling?
    2. I see xp is reduced but how slow is it, compared to P99 or something like that?
    3. How is the community? Mainly thinking about coming back to play a game with some nice people.
    4. Do you need to twink like on P99? Not saying you have to, but everyone else does so you kind of stick out if you don't.
    5. This is as important, more of a just curious thing in case I start playing. What classes are needed/ groups tend to be needing?

Thanks much for any replies and guidance. EQ remains my favorite game of all time, would like to give this a go.
  2. Risiko Augur

1. Is it still active, can I get groups while leveling?
    Yes. It is still an active server. Groups are fewer in the lower to mid levels, but you can still get them. It's not going to be instant groups all the time.

2. I see xp is reduced but how slow is it, compared to P99 or something like that?
    Experience is slow on Coirnav. It is not as slow as original EQ, and I believe it is faster than P99. There is a 99% chance that there will be bonus experience for the Thanksgiving holiday next month, so it's a good time to start a new character on the server.

3. How is the community? Mainly thinking about coming back to play a game with some nice people.
    Just like any server, there are good and bad people. Personally, I think there are more good than bad on Coirnav, but the forums here would have you believe otherwise. Just get in game, join a lot of pick up groups, and make friends with the people that you like.

4. Do you need to twink like on P99? Not saying you have to, but everyone else does so you kind of stick out if you don't.
    You do not "have to" twink. Some people feel it necessary to twink because that's their play style preference. You will spend enough time leveling up to get most of the gear you want/need, and when you get high enough to raid, you will fill in the slots with best in slot gear in no time. That being said, if you sell a krono, you can some decent items that will help you. I highly recommend getting a fungi tunic. It just helps so much in the low to mid level game.

5. This is as important, more of a just curious thing in case I start playing. What classes are needed/ groups tend to be needing?
    Enchanter, Shaman, Cleric, and all Tanks. DPS is always the most over represented on nearly all servers.
    • Enchanters are the most OP class in era right now.
    • Shamans are in high demand and seem to be in short supply for end game raiding guilds. Nobody ever says, "man we just have too many clerics".
    • There are very, very few Paladins on the server, but I would assume that is the case on every TLP server ;)
    • While you are leveling up, all tanks are in high demand. At the end game, there are a lot of tanks (except Paladins). That being said, good tanks are always welcome in end game raiding.
    • Rogue gear rots on raids all the time. There just aren't that many rogues it seems.
    • Monks are probably the most over represented on the server. They're everywhere, but that's probably because they are a very fun class to play.
  3. FIsh Lips Augur

They're out there, but it may be slow. Find a guild or friends immediately. Otherwise 6 box.

I would not touch the vicious corrupt cesspool that is P99, but xp is excrutiatingly slow. Unlike EQ of yore, some of the worst levels are actually 1-10. 55-60 are a nightmare. I mean you won't really want to get to level 60 and alts will make you contemplate suicide. Does that help?

They're out there. But don't look to any of the top guilds, they're mostly douchebags. But in that it's probably like every server ever.

If you are going to play a warrior and be in banded, nobody will want to group with you. Many will happily try to sell you stuff for krono, and not group with you if you don't open your wallet.

Clerics. If, like everyone else you don't want to play a useful class but just want to be fungible DPS, then there is only one choice: monk. I would avoid tank classes, they're very useful but guilds only need 5, and they probably have their 5. Shaman/enc is much the same, good classes but a guild only needs a couple, and at this stage they're boxed.

Your one other choice is bard. There are a lot of bards in the game, but they're flakey as hell and can't be convinced to show up to more than one raid a week. So if you can be more reliable, likely you will be successful there. Downside: mostly just afk play mana for the casters or haste for the monks. Don't get uppity.

Keep in mind the prevailing attitude on Kronav: 1) Krono is king. 2) There will be a new TLP in 6 months, most people are thinking about their next life. If you're looking for a long term thing, think "1 year" and come back in March.
  4. Risiko Augur

There is a lot of disinformation in that ^^ reply. wow. Just ignore what he said.
    Barton likes this.
  5. FIsh Lips Augur

^^ just read all his other posts. I mean try to, it's natural to doze off after the first two of twenty million.
  6. oldemangamer Augur

Thank you Risiko for your thoughtful and thorough reply, that was just the information I was needing. Fish Lips, I hope you were exaggerating a bit, lol. If not, I will hopefully pick on these things fairly quickly and my foray into this tlp will short lived. Thanks for the replies, think I will risk a month of all access to find out. :)
    Risiko likes this.
  7. Bangers New Member

I joined this server at the very end of July and was lvl 60 on the day after Velious came out. No box. No krono spent. Never. I grouped. I got loot. I trade skilled. Mostly done in PuG's which were mainly put together by myself cos I play a class (caster DPS) that essentially no one values in a group and the fact I was wearing cloth in some slots till lvl 60 probably didn't help either. :eek:

The names are a lot cheesier on this server. Krono is king for many but not all people.
    Those dissing this server have been proven wrong. It reminds me of those people predicting cataclysmic events on a certain date. When the date passes uneventfully a new date appears.
    As already said the forums are not representative of TLP. At all.

There are multiple picks of popular xp zones going 24/7
    If you play an Enchanter you'll not go LFG for long. Tank classes and priests seem to do well too.
    Barton likes this.
  8. oldemangamer Augur

Thanks much Bangers. I'm thinking of maybe making a warrior, do you guys think I will be ok while leveling without being able to twink?

My original main was a cleric, so probably don't want to do that again, shaman could be interesting or possibly a paladin, although I have goofed around with a paladin a ton although I never got one to max level and always liked the class.
  9. Bramwell New Member

Any reason for the lack of paladins or is it just because when you min/max you aren't technically as good of a tank as a warrior so no one really wants them for raids? I played paladin back in the day as it allowed me to run solo slightly easier when I couldn't find a group and I was still able to do regular group content very well. With the stun spells I was able to hold aggro very well. I didn't really get into raiding for whatever reason. I loved the class but just curious if there is a specific reason for a lack of paladins or is it simply because groups/raids want a warrior if they can get one instead?

I was tempted to come back to a TLP server recently but I see the most current one started in March so I am sort of hesitant to start up a new character with no resources on a TLP server that's been around quite awhile now. Being a more casual player probably doesn't help either (wife, kids and work don't allow me to be a hard core raider right now)
  10. Machentoo Augur

In this current iteration of Everquest, DPS is king. And Paladins are the worst tank for DPS, outside of undead mobs.
    Barton likes this.
  11. Risiko Augur

It's just a personal preference thing. People just tend to play warrior and shadowknight over paladin. If you like playing a paladin, then there's no reason not to play one.
  12. a_librarian Augur

play a paladin and befriend some of the many LFG druids, and right away you have a tank/healer that can port and form up a group to xp in any zone you like
  13. a_librarian Augur

1) The server is still active, and the population peak seems to be evening hours US time. There's also a ton of people on around new expansions opening (next one for Coirnav is the Luclin expansion on Nov 21)

2) The xp feels slow for a modern MMO, this is especially true for the first 10 levels and then levels 50-60. The pace of leveling in between is not bad when you are grouped in a zone with lots of yellow and red con mobs to fight. I've never played P99 but believe the xp rate is much faster here

3) The community is alright, it's improved from where it was when the server first opened. There's a number of guilds recruiting low level players and the vast majority of the server just wants to enjoy their time in game and not screw over other people for kicks.

4) You don't need to twink, though there will be many people that are at this point. The supply of good items is way higher than P99 due to the instancing we have here.

5) Enchanters, shaman, clerics and bards have a pretty easy time finding groups and eventually raids (the exception here is Enchanters, raids don't need many and the server has a ton). Tanks are usually in demand, and can form up their own groups fairly easily.

To answer your question about playing a warrior first: it is the most gear dependent classes, in a role that's central to a group and will have a lot of attention on you as a result. It is doable, but it's going to be slow and rough every step of the way, and I'd only suggest you do it if your end goal is to tank big mobs on raids and you have lots of time to play and make friends. Paladin/SK are in a much better place starting with no gear since they have spells to hold aggro, and various utility to bring to a group. There's a good selection of paladin and SK weapons that are very cheap and will last you all the way to 60.

Bottom line is unless you have a huge amount of time to play or plan to buy krono to twink a warrior, then you will probably have a better experience as a paladin. Paladins are awesome and get a great boost in power with the Luclin expansion.
  14. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

1. No, server is very empty outside of near level cap.
    2. It's slower per kill but player power is up much more on TLPs so you can level faster in most scenarios. Still if you're joining and don't know anyone it's gonna take 200 hours or so of play time to hit 60
    3. Bunch of boxers that will train you for 100plat or an XP spot so they can PL alts to sell on redguides
    4. Depends on class tanks, rogue yeah. Int/Wis casters nah.
    5. Enchanter or you will spend most your time LFG
  15. Xeris Augur

Paladins are great.
  16. Barton The Mischievous

Let's see
    1. Yes it is still active can look at the server status page and see which servers have the highest populations. Coirnav is one of them -caveat for now Groups maybe/depends However it should not be hard to get a ton of buffs if you want and get to where you can group joining a guild and making friends makes this tons easier.
    2. It is slow but with a ton of holidays coming up and DBG usually doing bonus xp during holidays it will help
    3. the Community is what it is some good some bad some downright ugly if you find a good guild avoiding the bad and the ugly for the most part gets easier
    4. Not really but if someone offers ya some stuff I would not turn it down lol
    5. Play what you like or it is not worth it imo. As always most people think the Trinity are needed Cleric Warrior Enchanter. On a personal note Shaman seem a bit scarce Paladins are scarce, Druids, Monks, Enchanters are everywhere Clerics and others seem about normal. -edit sorry ya rogues are scarce as well
  17. taliefer Augur

regarding paladins: id advise against it to a new or returning player, unless you just really, really like paladins in general.

your comparative dps is just really an issue. its bad. im playing one on coirnav as it was on my EQ bucket list, and im enjoying it for what it is. but i wont do it again. Paladins shine when "fit hits the shan" and you can start chucking out heals that are actually pretty decent, rooting mobs off, etc. but noone wants a tank that shines when stuff goes wrong, they dont wanna be in that situation to begin with.

if there was more undead content in these early expansions before paladins really hit their stride, it'd be different. but outside of lower guk during classic, its just pretty bad. Paladins (and rogues, but not as badly as paladins) could really use some "Early era EQ" tweaking, moreso than any other classes imo. there are good reasons they are generally the lowest played classes on new TLPs, by a fairly large margin.

other than that, Coirnav is a server. its nothing too special, but its not the cesspool that a contingent on the forums tries to make it out to be. its also consistently one of the most populated servers, but it is top heavy, like every server is after a couple months.
  18. a_librarian Augur

I think an easy boost would be to allow Cease and Desist from the start. Flash of Light as a key aggro spell is just bleh
  19. oldemangamer Augur

Wow thanks for all the helpful replies! :)
  20. TheTone Elder

I know everyone is going to give you the standard "play what you like...yada yada" response, but from what I've seen playing almost all of the TLPs, this is the best order I can think of:

Top Group Getters
    1. Cleric - quite underplayed, and quite helpful in early game with awesome heals and rez. I've never gone LFG for more than about 5 minutes as a cleric. It can be quite annoying, however, when you have to leave and replace yourself.
    2. SK - very versatile tank - can snare, hold aggro, and self heal to an extent. Also, very easy to replace yourself when you leave.

Second Tier
    3. Ench - Most OP class in group game but there are tons of enchanters out there. They stack in some groups, where there are ample mobs to charm, but not all.
    4. War / Pal - This might be controversial, but tanks are just generally much needed in group game. Paladins might actually be more desired in the group game than warriors, but not by much.
    5. Mage / Monk / Necro (w/ undead charm) - Excellent group DPS but there are lots and lots of mages and monks - so you might need to LFG for a bit. All three can tank pretty decently absent a regular tank.

Third Tier

6. Druid / Shaman - Buffs are pretty irrelevant in the lower level game so these classes tend to get overlooked. They typically snag a group if a healer is needed, but are way below clerics in that regard. Their DPS is decent, but with the glut of other better DPS classes all over the place, they're rarely picked up for that role.
    7. Ranger / Bard - Both classes are pretty useful in their own right, but most groups would rather have a real tank or real dps over a ranger and would rather have an enchanter over a bard. Again, they're both good and can easily serve as a decent replacement. The only problem is that the classes they would likely replace are stupidly common in the TLP era.
    8. Rogue - Good DPS, but they just bring nothing to the table other than DPS and they're generally not even as good at that as mages or monks. They're definitely better than wizards though.

Bottom of the Barrel
    9. Wizards - Only decent DPS in slower killing groups and really only with an enchanter's mind buffs. They might jump up to like #5 on the list right when they get conflag (because a 900-pt nuke is pretty ridiculous for lvl 44 or whatever) but then they slowly descend back down to here as they get higher. Once you get to Luclin though, Wizards are top dogs on raids.
    10 Necro (w/o undead charm) - They offer some decent DPS and some survivability to the group if played well, but almost any other class is better at any given role. They are nice to have around to Screaming Terror enchanter pets that go astray though.