Thinking about starting over on Agnarr - With playing a class as it's not supposed to be played

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Duckforceone, Sep 2, 2019.

1. code-zero Augur

Bard tank! Really though, if you get too out there not only will you not be able to solo because you'll not be soloing right but no one is going to want to group with you since even if you're passable at your odd playstyle you won't be doing it well
  2. Vumad Cape Wearer

I started EQ during PoP. I learned to charm just before OoW and was taught by my guild to mostly reverse charm because of the nerfs. Are the nerfs not in place or they are and it is just that early TLP are before the nerf (that is to say they nerf will happen when the TLP gets that far).

I wanted to try a different class on TLP / Agnarr but I might have to replay ENC if charming is like what I was told it was prior to the nerfs.
  3. Zanados Lorekeeper

I am very sad right now that Agnarr will never get GoD, as I was going to suggest a Defensive Berserker- a Berserker who can only use shields.

Honorable mention to the suggestion of a ranger who only uses throwing items- that is genius.
  4. code-zero Augur

You don't know that zerkers can't even equip in the secondary slot?
    Yinla likes this.
  5. Accipiter Old Timer

Honestly, I never really thought about why charming is so much easier now. Player power increases mean that the enchanter won't be immediately eaten by the angry, hasted, dual-wielding ex-pet. The other half of the equation is that charm seems to break much less frequently now.
  6. SunDrake Augur

I like this. Just build up gear and let your spells roll in as you add them to your rotation. Buffs, Regen, Haste, Slows, DoTs, a solid Offense / Defense. I like to get one of the 2H'ers that will proc in the 30s. Barbarian Spiritist Hammer if Barbarian, Blight, Hammer of Scourge if not.
  7. SunDrake Augur

Grab Fungi Tunic, add Staff if you've got a Krono to blow.
  8. TLP Addict Augur

Battle Shaman or Battle Cleric aren't really anything new.

Thought about suggesting melee Druid, ie just cast wolf form and melee everything like a Ranger, but that pretty much describes every Druid in Bloody Rapiers so once again not particularly original.
    Tymeless likes this.
  9. Oide New Member

Err i want to play a pally healer! surely this is possible?!?
    Duckforceone likes this.
  10. code-zero Augur

I knew a pally who pulled/healed/tanked while dragging around a healer merc that he never remembered to turn on
    Yinla and Duckforceone like this.
  11. modsiw Augur

Roll an Innoruuk DE Cleric. Get the clinging darkness neck clicky. Tell people you’re an SK. Pretend to be an SK.

I’m betting you could pull this off for a long time. If you have to heal yourself, blame it on a potion.
    Duckforceone and Accipiter like this.
  12. Funky Augur

play a necro that doesn't DoT
    Duckforceone and Vumad like this.
  13. Boze TLP complaint factory

On my Necro alt on Phinny I would main heal for groups in Infected Paw when it first came out. Heal, tap it back, super fun and worked weirdly well.
    Duckforceone likes this.
  14. code-zero Augur

seriously it's been fun but almost every suggestion is in fact in keeping with the intended skillset of the classes mentioned. Clerics have tanking tools and can DPS on undead pretty well if you're going with your initial desire

Who are you going to group with that will tolerate your Wizard Tank? No one will and the fact is that you aren't going to be able to solo doing silly stuff like that either.

It's been a week now, what are you going to do?
    Duckforceone likes this.
  15. Bewts Augur

Play a pet class and refuse to group with anyone who doesn’t love pets and cannot bring one along.
    Necro + Skeleton
    Mage + Elemental
    BL + Warder
    SK + Skeleton
    Enchanted + floating shield thingy / charm pet
    Shaman + Doggie
    Druid + BearBear

You could consider letting a cleric tag along, but constantly make fun of the inadequacy of their summomed swarm hammer pet.

No one can join until they can summon a pet however, so no clerics until 55 or whenever it is they get their swarm hammer pet. Same for druids and Shaman.
    Duckforceone likes this.
  16. Scornfire The Nimbus Prince

Necro tank is the way to go, it's fun, it's silly, it's viable
    Duckforceone likes this.
  17. Karthos Augur

I did a little of this with an early TLP. I was a solo cleric until level 40 or so until I got bored and moved on.

My suggestion is melee druid. They can wield some scimitars so they can at least look good while doing it.
    Duckforceone likes this.
  18. code-zero Augur

There you go, half-elf Druid with shield and scimitar. You can cast spells too and roleplay that they are your war chants
    Duckforceone likes this.
  19. Tymeless Augur

I did this back in kunark/velious era of live servers in groups often i remember doing this in high keep and a few other places. Oddly my necro's pet was the tank sometimes and I was the group healer at the same time was alot of fun. So my suggestion is play a necro as a tank and healer for groups. It can be done!
    Duckforceone likes this.
  20. northstar Augur

I want to try this however with a Wizard who does nukes ( When in trouble ), but mainly uses a dagger or 1hb Melee with his defense Capped. lots of death on my part from being squishy until there is a viable way for a heal proc or OP dagger or 1hb. Non the less interesting idea

Edit: ok I just found the most unconventional class to play and level on Agnarr. make either a Troll or Iksar SK, get a Fungus Tunic and a Zheart. the heart can only be placed in primary so you cannot melee what so ever. The only options are Shield bash and nuke. But combine with race regen/Zheart +5 and the Tunics regen +15. I think I might have to try this out. however I need to find a fungus tunic now LOL!! and all I have for plat atm is 2600pp UGH!!!
    Duckforceone likes this.