Thinking about going live

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Kwestion, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Kwestion New Member

Hi all,
    I am not new to EQ in general. I played on the Prexus server in 2000 as well as AB in the mid 2000's and raided through PoP . Currently playing on P99. With P99 on its last expansion, I was thinking about coming back live. If I do this I will most likely subscribe.

That being said, my favorite class to play is that of the Enchanter. Briefly, I would like to know if this class has retained its classic traits. On p99 the Enc. is a predominant solo/farming class. Is charm-soloing still viable? Has much of this been obsoleted by the inclusion of mercs? Any info you can give about the current state of the class would be greatly appreciated.

Thank in advance!
  2. Graymane84 Journeyman

The game you are playing now and this one (especially on a Live server) are quite different. I would strongly suggest rolling a F2P character and getting your feet wet. If you roll a caster, F2P is very viable until around 60. If you like what you see, then you can pay for an account. What you will find is that very few classes are required and most can now solo (or molo as it is called when you use a merc). You get far more spells and much better gear.

Xegony has quite a few players on it and the guild I'm in, Lions of the Heart, is a casual, newbie and returning player friendly-guild that will help you with a lot of your questions.
  3. Leex Pewpewer

Enchanters are pretty amazing right now..They can DPS, Pull, CC, Tank ( yes, tank ). It's all about how you play your enchanter..Basically they've just enhanced them by 100x what you would be used to..

You can charm and solo all you want, grouping should be easier then most as Enchanters are a very wanted class in groups and or in guilds as well..

If you go into the class section of the forums you can kind of get an idea by looking at the Enchanter threads as to the more advanced mechanics.

Good luck!
  4. Kwestion New Member

Thanks guys. My main reason for wanting to subscribe right away was that I had planned playing on the Lockjaw server. However, I am just going to rollup a chanter and start playing to a point where I decide I like it, or decide I do not.. and then go from there.

I did look at the caster section of the forums. Sadly, it was hard for me to follow as some of the terminology, spells, etc. are totally foreign to me now. I suppose the best way to learn is to just jump in.

Thanks again!
  5. vaio007 Elder

I played in the same era as you. I came back but didn't like live.
    Paid for all access and have been loving Lockjaw.
  6. Graymane84 Journeyman

I would seriously suggest an F2P account to start with. Find out the class you want to play. I tried a bunch of classes I'd never played before and found some that I really like. Take about 2-3 weeks, then decide on which server is right for you and roll a character there. TLP, Live, or whatever works best for you. The important thing is to get playing again -)
    Borek-VS likes this.
  7. Kwestion New Member

Coming over from P99 I knew I wanted to play an enchanter, providing it retained it's class-defining attributes from Classic. So I started one on the Vox server. I quickly made it to level 6 before having to camp for the night. I suppose the good news is that if not for having to get up at 6am, I probably would have played until 6am. :) I am planning on taking this character to a level where I can do some charming. If that goes ok, and if the graphics/game play have grown on me, I will most likely start a Chanter on Lockjaw. Thanks everyone for your input.