Thesteelwarrior.org - looking for some veteran assistance

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Aneuren, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Aneuren Tempered Steel

Greetings all.

I am reposting here something that I posted on the phinigel.com/forums class discussion board. This is not really TLP related though. Since I am not sure how many of the old Warriors are now rolling as other classes, I am posting this here in the hopes that some of our older members might be able to point me in the right direction.

Original post here:

Closing thoughts:
    I don't know if anybody is still in contact with Raaj or Yoda. It would be amazing if either of them had backups of the old TSW website, because then maybe we could find a new place to host those forums. This has been something that has been on my mind for a while now but I never really got around to acting on it.

I'd love to speak with Yoda to see if he would be able to build in the damage bonus changes into his old spreadsheet, which would probably result in somewhat of a different spread for the threat value of certain weapons. And I'd love to speak with Raaj just to see how he is doing, plus I also think he is the best possible chance we have at recovering a backup of the forums.

I know this might seem a bit silly, but TSW was a huge part of Everquest for me. Those forums were great. I really loved the people there. And the amount of knowledge that filled those forums was really quite amazing.

At a suggestion from one of the phinigel.com members, I dug around in the internet archive wayback machine, and I was able to find a lot of the old information, but it would be so much easier if (magically) we could get a backup of the forums. The information is a bit difficult to sort through on that page. Moreover, the wayback machine doesn't seem to store the attachments - we had tons of tanking graphs, Yoda's spreadsheet, and other stuff that is just simply gone.

So, if any of you can point me in the right direction, or if Yoda or Raaj stumbles across this thread, please shoot me a PM or a reply here.

Thanks so much,

Aneuren.
    Your_Ad_Here likes this.
  2. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

I would be happy to host anything that can help. I can host a forum and/or data / spreadsheets, etc.
    Aneuren likes this.
  3. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Also worth mentioning, if cost is an issue, AWS (Amazon Web Services) now has a free tier of hosting, for sites that don't expect much traffic at all. That might be a good alternative for hosting.

Tat
  4. Aneuren Tempered Steel

Thanks to you both for the suggestions and offers. I've reached out to some of the older TSW memberrs as well but nobody has any contact information for either Yoda or Raaj. We have Raaj's email address at TSW (sigh lol).
  5. Wayylon Augur

These ancient tomes of knowledge must be recovered.
  6. Vanrau Augur

7. Sirene_Fippy Okayest Bard

The Wayback Machine doesn't crawl subforums and individual threads very frequently, there isn't a good method to find specific posts. You can list all snapshots from the forum, which gives 34,000 results and loads extremely slowly. A lot of those results are image files and missing links.

If anyone does know a good way to use the Wayback Machine for forums and such, I'd be interested in hearing about it.
  8. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

The only use I think the Wayback Machine is good for is if you know of specific posts that contain important information, you can try to find them.

Beyond that, you really need a backup or export of the forum, which you can then use to recreate the forum.

Anyone who has any kind of EQ website, if you have to shut it down one day the community would greatly appreciate if you would provide backups or exports that others can then host.

Rasper made his Repository available for Samanna to host when he shut it down, which is great for us.
    Aneuren and Egat like this.
  9. Battleaxe Augur

Not what OP is looking for, but this looks like TSW when max level was 65.
    http://thesteelwarrior.yuku.com/

which may be just a recovery from the wayback machine, but still
    http://thesteelwarrior.yuku.com/topic/522/Ubermob-tanking-summary-and-discussion#.VnOKIL89Yus
    "The damage a mob does on a standard hit is DB + x*DI, where DB stands for Damage Bonus, DI stands for Damage Interval, and x is an integer between 1 and 20 (inclusive)." is pure gold and a reminder of how elegant and sensible EQ was before it was made otherwise.
  10. Egat Should have stayed in Halas

I completely endorse what Fanra said! We've lost a ton of fascinating history and I worry what may happen to all the info on Allakazam.
  11. Aneuren Tempered Steel

I would like to add Brutul to the list of people that I'd love to get the contact info for.

Thanks for the interest all, even just keeping the post visible for a bit might be helpful.
  12. Crystilla Augur

This is only partially related to the topic, but I do have a collection of 'good' reference threads listed in THIS post.

If there are any that folks find from TSW or other locations they would want to have saved (the link to them I mean), please feel free to PM me and I'll add them.
    Fanra likes this.