THESE HOT ZONES.........

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Xerzist, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Riou EQResource

You can only hang in those zones for so long before you out level them, there is no point staying when you get nothing out of it. You would try 1 zone, maybe 2, and if they sucked, you give up and quit the game.

"Beginner" stuff shouldn't require 3rd party assistance to find or do. If the game can't explain it for you then the game fails. Hot Zones help point you where to go to level.

Hot Zone system is a pretty big part of helping new players, Hero's Journey was a nice add-on to this.

Changing it can be fine, but it should still match up with the Hero's Journey system in some way (whether that be something like zone wide Augs for level ranges or something), otherwise you have 2 systems that are similar, but they are going against each other instead of having a good synergy with each other.
    Rasputyn likes this.
  2. Sinestra Augur

^ This. EQ isn't intuitive for the most part. They have made it better over the years with changes like the new tutorial, but they haven't geared anything towards new players in a long time. It's just not new player friendly.
    Deveryn likes this.
  3. EverChanter Augur

Yes, TENS OF THOUSANDS. The ONE you're referring to has over 100,000 aa's and guess what, I bet he wouldn't have that many if he was playing an enchanter. You see plenty of Rangers, SKs, and Zerkers with 20k+ aa's and I've yet to meet one Enchanter that has 20k+ aa's, most of the playing chanters I know all have less then 15k aa's but feel free to blame other classes for it though.
  4. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

Actually, I know of none that have over 20k AAs. I imagine most rangers have in the neighborhood of 12-15k if they are active and glyph. A look through magelo by checking the total AA amounts shows from 112k ( Hiladdar) through 13k in the first 50. Not too good an indicator, but it all we have. It is probably suitable enough evidence to suggest you are engaging in a bit of hyperbole though.

By the way, who blaming other classes for anything beside you?

I wonder how long it would take to glyph to 20k AAs anyways. I imagine if I played 24 hours straight and popped a glyph every 10 minutes I could run through 144 AA or so a day. Of course sleep, work, and family might interfere a bit with that but who needs to interject such things as real life into the equation?
  5. Rasputyn Elder

Riou has nailed most of the important points. Making new Feerrott a hotzone was a poor design choice, but that doesn't make hotzones a bad program.
  6. Sinestra Augur

See what I mean?
  7. Sinestra Augur

That's honestly what makes you, in my eyes, so different from other devs on this game and others. You get frustrated, we can even see it sometimes, but you're honest and you tell it like it is even when we hate the answer. You don't shrink away from things we don't like and you don't stop talking to us just because we're a mean bunch of people sometimes. It's pretty great.
    Obiziana likes this.
  8. Ishtass Augur

Elidroth's posts don't get modded like mine do...
  9. RaceCondition Augur

10. RaceCondition Augur

Yeah, I had the same problem too. I only thought it was ironic since people are saying Elidroth can take the heat! And then a mod starts deleting stuff (I'm not complaining, I just thought it was funny).
  11. RaceCondition Augur

Aren't you being intentionally misleading, since he used the word 'script'? Oh com'on now, I'm sure code could make it so you can dynamically change the exp from a mob in a zone.

Edit: And no, I'm not supporting Cleaver's idea.
  12. Langya Augur

Getting rid of the hotzones completely would probably get rid of at least 10%-20% of the crysacking that goes on in game. Please, just get rid of them.
    Axxius and Tarvas like this.
  13. Falos Augur

Hot zones arent even that great.. oh wow a 20ish percent boost to exp over other zones of the same tier amazing! /yawn.

Hotzones are pretty much what lead to the stagnation of headshot imo,dumb people that were mental over the 20 percent exp bonus and couldnt be bothered to stick to exping in instances not only disrupted the gameplay for other players but also lead to screwing their own class over - bravo!

I'd love to see hotzones vanish for good, the 20 percent boost to exp isnt worth the trouble but it's just high enough that mental cases will have no qualms about disrupting zones for others.
  14. RaceCondition Augur

I always found this logic kind of humorous, since it just following the kind of narrow logic, that if there's a problem with something, lets just remove it!

Now I have to ask you, is it hotspots, headshot, or the ZEM being set too high that is causing the problem? Or maybe you just pay attention to General chat too much. :p
  15. Langya Augur

If something breeds stupid, it should stay as is?
  16. RaceCondition Augur

I don't think Hotspots "breed stupid", but I'll go along with your example anyway:

Your answer: Remove it, without giving it a second thought.
    My answer: Figure out what is causing the problem and change it.

I'll use your example for something else:
    Wizard DPS is too high. Lets remove them.
    Or
    Wizard DPS is too high. Lets narrow down what may be causing the problem and change it.

I don't think Hotzones are directly causing the complaints in chat. Headshot/swarming could be one of the major complaints. Does that mean those abilities are too easy for zone disruption, or does that mean the Hotspots have too high ZEM, attracting all those types of individuals to the zone? I think it's up to discussion, but the answer isn't, "too many complaints lets remove it!"
  17. Axxius Augur

Hotzones were created to attract players to a variety of zones instead of the old popular grind spots, while helping new players level and catch up to the current game faster. The former required them getting changed often, otherwise they just became new popular grind spots where everybody goes, and the rest of the zones in the same level spread are abandoned. And to help with leveling and catching up, there have been a lot of other things added to EQ since then: AA bonus rates, auto-granted AA, mercs, fellowship xp sharing, xp potions, Defiant armor, Hero Journey quests...

The hotzone feature has outlived its purpose and became stale and counter-productive. It's time to let it go.
  18. RaceCondition Augur

From what I've heard they were to help lower level players get groups, since everyone kept trying to exp in different zones and finding there was no one to group with. Perhaps a developer can actually tell us what the original intent was for.
  19. Langya Augur

Make hotzones be instanced than. If they will not be changed often, it might be worth the work.
  20. Daedly Augur

Removing the Raiding aspect of the game would probably get rid of 50% of the "crysacking", as you put it, that goes in the game. Should we get rid of that too? I don't go to hotzones much unless I am leveling an alt so I don't see the kind of stuff you are refering too. That being said, if you don't like the kind of arguing that goes in places like that, just avoid them since you don't seem to like them.