These are probably the most toxic tlp ever

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Rothj, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Ceffener Augur

Play the game not the forums and you’ll realize people exaggerate everything.
    BlueberryWerewolf likes this.
  2. BlueberryWerewolf Augur

Same as it ever was...
  3. yerm Augur

Selo is the least toxic tlp I have played on. Unless Mangler somehow sucked up all the terrible or obnoxious players like they did the rmters (doubtful) it's probably a fine place too.

Combine/sleeper had a ton of active hacking and grief, and widespread bans to show for it. Fippy/vulak was marked by the automation and stuff like warp+ht and petitionquest. Ragefire/lj was so murdered by boxers they changed tlps thereafter and haven't looked back, and their tob thread was some epic drama. Phinny was overall quite good but still had more contention than selo, probably only due to crowding though. Coirnav see previous posts.

People always like to think what they are facing is a bigger deal than it really is.
    Icaen and Ishbu like this.
  4. thiefzer0 New Member

It's really frustrating, I bounced through 9 picks in Lguk to find a camp for my SK/SHM and each one was camped primarily by level 50's with the exceptions of groups just pulling trash mobs. I haven't been to Rathe yet to kill HG's but at the rate platinum prices are inflating and from the sound of it, I'm best off avoiding it like the plague.

It's really depressing for an oldschool player who just wanted to capture that friggin nostalgia. If anything, Mangler has taught me that classic EQ is dead, has been dead for 18 years, and nothing will ever bring it back (including P99, very very stagnant server, they desperately need to open a new one or wipe it).
  5. Glowerss Augur

So let me get this straight.

You wanted to box kill frenzy, and you're upset that other people were already box killing frenzy, and therefore EQ is dead?

Ok.
    Tymeless, Ishbu and Ulain like this.
  6. The Hated One Augur

If you weren't at the peak of the wave on either server your going to have a hard time catching up. All these people recommending these servers either want you there to buy their stuff or want you there for cannon fodder for their raids. Or they are just trying to keep the population of the server high enough that it doesn't die off as soon. As you can see catching up is tough to do when so much of the game is over camped by people who have nothing else to do. Of course the next expansion these people will tear off and do that...leaving you the old stuff. But that doesn't really help you catch up does it? That is why the ubars take a week off work and stay up for 3 days to hit max level because they know all this. They are rolling in the kronos with bags full of drops and are still camping the camps, all the while posting here for you to join the server....and bring your kronos! It isn't news. I just had to state the obvious.
  7. BlueberryWerewolf Augur

I've heard some people play video games for fun.
  8. yerm Augur

People come to these tlps to do this content with other people. If we just wanted to see it thats easy to do on live with one heroic character. We want to actually experience it. Inviting more people here isn't some way of farming krono to pay for our taco bell. We want lively chat. We want lfgs for our off time. Some particularly deramged people like me even want competition and races and are happy that our competitors are healthy and would love more of them.

Believe it or not, some of us, even some of us in Amtrak as hard as this is to believe, are NOT full blown narcissists. We actually are having fun and legitimately invite people to come have fun too.
    Rajaah, Ulain and Kurway like this.
  9. Pharone Elder

I can't argue that this TLP iteration has been insanely toxic. I had a "friend" that I have played with on many servers decide to de-friend my brother and I simply because we didn't agree that his BOX should roll on a fungi tunic. He felt his main and box should get equal rolls, and mind you.. this was purely for him to sale for Krono. He complained about never having any plat in game yet he was always broke because he spent everything he made every day on buying Krono.

I'm one friend down thanks to Krono. Thank you EverQuest!
  10. The Hated One Augur

Oh Im sure there are some average nice EQ players out there...but we arent talking about them are we? When you say people come to do the content with other people...and I know you have been here a long time Yerm, just like me, you mean the people you brought with you. Maybe a few new people but mostly the ones you brought with you. Im just pointing it out to the rest of the returning people, the non Amtrack, FI, DHS etc folks why all this hype by people on these boards didnt turn out to be the way they thought these servers were going to be. Im sure some people find a way into the inner circles or can get a camp or can relive the nostalgia...but this is not 1999. I know there are still a lot of cool people who play EQ...its just the shadow of the rest steals the light.
    TheChosenOne likes this.
  11. Ceffener Augur

His same logic applies without Krono.
  12. BlueberryWerewolf Augur

It takes a bit of rose tint on the glasses to think EQ used to be this amazing, caring, wonderful community that is only now poisoned by a bunch of bad apples. For every memory I have from 1999-2008 of meeting brilliant people I truly enjoyed playing with, there were trolls and camp stealers and fighting over things that really don't matter because video games are supposed to be fun.

The truth is you just can't go back and re-experience all this for the first time, so the things that have jaded you over the years are there with trying to recapture that feeling, and so it feels like it's just not the same.

It's exactly the same. There are lovely people everywhere and there are equally childish, basement dwelling losers who delight in ruining fun for others. This has never been any different.
    Tymeless likes this.
  13. bobthedruid New Member

The community is not the same. You are right in saying jerks have always existed to one degree or another, but reputation had far greater an impact back in the day. The investment you had in your character was far greater as well. Reputation meant something. People were less likely to engage in poor behavior as it would directly effect their guild status, or ability to find a guild. The community as a whole put up with the lack of poor game etiquette far less.

Now you have a community that will not even come together to demand that a paid service makes efforts to prevent the rampant usage of bots and RMT. A community that excuses the inaction of DBG, and accepts it being business as usual.
    Faydark and Nykara2 like this.
  14. Nykara2 Elder

Sony also used to recognise camps and take action against deliberate kill stealing, training and.general griefing of other players. (Not counting dps races on raid mobs etc pretty sure that was still allowed, but day to day disruptions of exp camps etc). All in all that also made eq a much nicer game to play. And yes rep used to matter a lot because back then boxing/ botting wasn't as popular and was usually limited to just one or two boxes so a lot more people had to rely on grouping-- which they wouldn't get by being toxic..I never recall even once on my old server coming across entire box groups or bot groups.
  15. BlueberryWerewolf Augur

I mean, at one time Sam Deathwalker was a curiosity and definitely playing six or more characters at once was not anywhere near the norm. There were definitely notorious players on every server I ever played on for all the wrong reasons, but there were far more small-time mostly-anonymous jerks and trolls. This definitely has not become worse over time in my experience. If anything, I've seen more people shutting down and talking over trolls now than I ever did before. A lot fewer drawn-out fights in /ooc or in chat channels. There are different problems now, and some are definitely caused by bot armies not being policed like they should, but I just don't see this degradation of community that people are talking about. The EQ community was always sprinkled with large numbers of terrible people. MMOs in general always have been. UO before it, WoW after it. This isn't a new phenomenon by any means.

That's not to say there aren't good people. I see them every day, and far more commonly. But this nostalgic blurring of how things used to be seems entirely misinformed to me.
  16. Dabrixmgp Augur

such a fine job it did too.
  17. Nykara2 Elder

I used to go out there for hours at a time on my druid soloing mobs without a single person bothering me, others would come and go doing their own thing, killing their own mobs etc. Now I am lucky to get an hr before someone starts stealing mobs. Taking already tagged mobs and so on. I'm not remembering 'wrong'. It is a different game now then it was. I certainly never had 5 mahe pets leaping on a target I was root rotting and take it right out from under me.
  18. BlueberryWerewolf Augur

Kill stealing and camp stealing certainly happened before. The methods are different now, but the behavior is not.
  19. Nykara2 Elder

It happened once in a while. Not every play session and it was usually just a single person with a single toon being an idiot. Even more rarely in open world zones also (if one avoided the HGs), it was more predominantly in dungeons etc. Now it's *everywhere* all the time and I play in off-peak times being aussie as well, hate to think what peak would be like. Like I said I used to hunt in one spot xping for hrs without being bothered and now I am lucky to get an hour before it happens, usually less.
  20. BlueberryWerewolf Augur

Unfortunately it's most likely the case it happens more often in off-peak times because that's when people who bot know they're less likely to get caught (if they're going to get caught at all) by someone who can actually do something about it.

It's definitely a problem. I am certainly not arguing against that.