There a good guide on mage pets?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by oldkracow, Jun 11, 2015.

1. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

Every resource I could think of from back in the day is gone.
    Wondering if someone has a resource that shows mage pet stats currently?

thanks.
  2. Tarrin Augur

This is my guide:

Buy your water and earth pets.

/petattack
    Venthos, Xanumbik, Numiko and 2 others like this.
  3. Necromonious Augur

Stats? Like str, atk, hp? I've never known of those posted even back in the day. Sometimes you can find out a pet level's average hit by looking in allakazam under the spell. This only works for classic era TLP and not current because it doesn't factor in enhanced minion items
  4. Ducreux Augur

Find out this one weird trick magician's don't want you to know! They made 32,000 Krono from home with this secret method!
    EQ1999 and PathToEternity like this.
  5. Ultrazen Augur

Here's my completely unscientific guide, with absolutely no data to back it up.

1. Earth pet. Tankness: 100%, DPS: 50% + root, that causes the pet to take damage from stuff that would otherwise be snared and not attacking, thus costing more mana to keep it alive, reducing it's tankness to 80% in the real world.

2. Water pet. Tankness 80%, DPS 90%

3. Air pet. Tankness 60%, DPS 70% + stun. Purported to be useful against caster mobs, if it's cast of stun happens to line up just right with mobs casting.

4. Fire pet. Tankness 50%, DPS 100% + damage shield you cast anyway + ranged attack that is often resisted by most content you'll be doing, reducing it's DPS to 50%.

Using this handy chart, you can see why most mages use water pets 96.4% of the time.
  6. Gregolo Augur

google EQMageTower it's a site with lots of useful information.
  7. Machen New Member

8. Delphwind Augur

Going to *necro* this post ...

Fire pet is generally better for the lower levels due to the insane DS they get. Once you get your first pet heal just get the fire pets until your 30s, then switch to water.

Occasionally earth is handy if dungeon running and want to limit runners. Also I have had groups request the earth pet for various aggro reasons.
  9. Zublak Augur

Yes, summon faster, throw more pets! Throw More pets!!

Okay stop pet.
  10. Zanarnar Augur

No, no no. The damage shield the fire pet (pre-kunark) puts on itself is pet level +1; so your top end fire pet (46, 47? around there) has a 44pt damage shield on itself; your best casted one is 25pts.

SO if the pet will be tanking, and you can keep it alive (fire is the squishiest of the 4 pets) it will do the most damage. If someone else will be tanking, Water and Air are both fine choices. Once your into kunark+ pets; Water wins hands down if someone else is tanking (it becomes a rogue w/ backstab)

-one old mage
    Potawatomi likes this.
  11. Adonhiram Augur

1. Use mostly water pet before Kunark. Air sucks for dps and tanking in classic, can be useful in groups against casters, in Lower Guk for example. Fire, it depends, the stronger DS doesn't outbalance it's weak tankage. And no, fire pet is not the best dps pet in classic, it's water (and no, it's nuke is not stronger than the water pet's one, only the DS is better than the one you can cast).
    2. Don't forget, no pet heals are ingame before Kunark, and the Kunark ones suck. They are good only for the cure component (they remove 10 disease/poison/curse counters per cast ; your pet is tashed or dotted ? use the pet heals - doesn't work against fire based dots and against the malo line of debuffs). So you have no means of "keeping pet alive" if you solo.
    3. You still have the option of chain petting (you chain summon pets ; you start casting the new one and press the 'pet get lost' aka 'leave' button in the pet window 1 second before the casting time is over ; you do not touch the mob before the end, no nuke, no malo line, no dispell). Earth pet the safest for chain petting because of the root. No, chain petting fire pets is not a good idea. The fire pet might forget to cast its DS when engaged right at summoning and therefore you lose the benefit of...the fire pet.
    4. VERY IMPORTANT. Don't use the /pet attack feature in the pet window except when you want to queue attack a mob. Make yourself a macro line 1 /pet back off line 2 /pet attack, and keep your pet sowed if you can <--people will think you can control your pet, wow.
    5. Past Kunark, most mages use mainly air pet or water pet, everyone speaks about the dps of the rogue pet. Well. I belong to the minority which prefers air nonetheless for the stuns. The Greater Vocarate Air pet can stun mobs up to level 61. One interrupted complete heal means so much more than a couple shiny backstabs, but thats my personal opinion. Also, with the air pet, it is much easier to "pet mez" an add as it can tank fairly well. And it generates more aggro than the earth pet -which you shouldn't use in groups anyhow-, making it safer for the chanter to mez the add and for the cleric to keep healing the tank.
    6. Sometimes, play with your Kunark fire pet. On TLP servers, the 52+ fire pets follow the "fire pet reform" the SoF expansion introduced : instead of being mediocre and weak wizards casting stupid random nukes and having a fairly low mana pool, they are now 'gun machines' : pet will autoroot on /pet attack command and chain cast fire bolts at your target. Oh, did I mention ? Vocarate Fire (pet summoned by the level 52 spell), Fire Elemental Bolt I, 486 DD. Do that only when you are SURE the tank won't die. Or when farming silk in the Karanas because you are a tailor.
    7. Earth pet. Use solo for big fat hitters or for pet chaining. Some tanks like their mob being rooted and say it's easier for them to hold aggro that way. I think that's still dangerous, but be open to experiments and creative way of thiking...
    8. Take into considerations the pet resists when you know there will be heavy aoes or nukes. Earth high resistance to disease. Water to poison. Fire to fire (watch your fire pet survive against Royals in Chardok). Air to cold (and not magic as some people believe, stupid Phinny or Undertow casts Ice Comet on air pets, haha).
    9. I am sorry to inform you that being a mage will need a bit more than /pet attack + nuke hotkey.
    The p99 guide is not that bad, though wrong about post-Kunark fire pets as they obviously didn't apply the Shadows of Faydwer "fire pet reform". http://wiki.project1999.com/Pet_Guide

Feel free to shoot me a tell ingame (;t lockjaw.adonhiram) if you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer if I can :) Good luck and Elemental Greetings to you.
    Aenoan, Numiko and Finley like this.
  12. AlmarsGuides Augur

I would like to buy the rights of this guide from you to host on my website. Shall I have my lawyer contact yours?
    Delphwind likes this.
  13. Moranis Augur

I'm with Tarrin on this one. I'm pretty sure my 4 year old niece could level a mage to 40...getting her to sit in the same spot for multiple hours would probably be the most difficult part.

A typical day on a mage consists of:

For easy mobs:
    /cast summon water pet
    /pet attack
    /cast fire bolt
    *mob dead*

For harder mobs:
    /cast summon water pet
    /pet attack
    /cast fire bolt x 2
    *mob dead*

For hardest mobs:
    /cast summon water pet
    /pet attack
    /cast fire bolt
    /cast summon water pet
    /pet attack
    /cast fire bolt
    *mob dead*

For multiple mobs:
    /cast gate
    *acquire more malachites*
  14. taliefer Augur

wtb more air pets in classic. stun proc > the minimal dps increase of water pets.
    Adonhiram likes this.
  15. Adonhiram Augur

/nod
  16. taliefer Augur

its weird how players mentality have changed over the years. i remember the first time through eq almost every mage swore by air pets. that stun proc is so nice in many ways.

now its all about the dps, even if its a minimal difference.
  17. Rhodz Augur

We have noticed while doing a testing and familiarization on camps we intend to use on launch that Mags can handle two yellows each at many levels though there is going to be some medding afterwards. A third, or fifth in our case, yellow or red and ya better pull out the emergency procedures.
    Even then it sometimes works out.

Wont build a leveling plan around it though :)
  18. Zivix Journeyman

19. Zivix Journeyman

The pet heal only heals 80 hitpoints. It's more mana efficient to recast a new pet, most the time.
  20. Marthisdil Augur

Get epic pet.

Win