Theft of Essence AA

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Pistols4Pandas, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Pistols4Pandas Elder

1: Cast: Theft of Essence IX on Spell Use (45% Chance)
    2: Limit Max Level: 254 (lose 100% per level)
    3: Limit Spell Class: Offensive Damage
    4: Limit Spell Subclass: 6
    5: Limit Spell Subclass: 26
    This passive ability gives your summoned creature bane direct-damage spells and your Shock of Many line of spells a 45% chance to empower your pet and nearby pets with a Theft of Essence, increasing their evasion by 26%, max health by 10000 points, and attack rating by 750 (2750 for swarm pets) points for 4 minutes.

Regarding that part of the AA description, I purchased this AA but in my parses there is no sign of Banestrikes or any other spell im not familiar with.

Iceflame strike Azia, Virulent Talon, and Air elemental strike... nothing else.

Is this AA broken? Am I reading the description wrong?

I thought this would give my pets an added DD.
  2. fransisco Augur

It means your anti summoned nuke and shock of many can proc theft of essence
    Tucoh and Sancus like this.
  3. Pistols4Pandas Elder

OH I see, I mis-read it or imagined a comma :p

Well, bummer, but I can probably make good use of it anyway with a bit of practice. Now I need to free up another spell slot dam nabbit.
  4. Dart Lorekeeper

Also, another note about Theft of Essence that I found out recently, is that it is actually a pet aura. This means that if you are using the level 55 or 70 pet aura (aura is pets, not yours) then Theft of Essence will not land.

Usually the only reason to use the 70 aura would be if you need to stay back away from pets and npcs, and to keep the dmg mod on the swarm pets.

So keep that in mind, and it also helps in understanding how it works. It will be based on your pet in the pets aura slot, and will affect ALL real and swarm pets if they are in range of your pets aura.
    Tucoh and Sancus like this.
  5. Pistols4Pandas Elder

I read that thread when searching the forums about this AA. So you use Arcane distillect, which is an aura on the mage, rather than earthen strength, correct ?
  6. Brohg Augur

Arcane Distillect is also 50% stronger than Rathe's Strength. You did mean Rathe's Strength, right, which is 2x the power of Earthen Strength?
  7. Pistols4Pandas Elder

The Theft proc added about 10-15% dps for regular pets, dont pay attention to my normal pets there because in the first parse theyre air pets, and in the 2nd I was using 1 air & 2 Water.... but look what it does to Swarm pets. ( It doubles their DPS )

[IMG]

https://ibb.co/m28c1H - Here's a link if the picture doesnt work.

I just put OfMany into my FoE + Orb Social and did a quick cast at the opening of every 5th mob I pull, no big deal, 3 mages doing 1 cast procd it every time w/ a single cast. seeing the numbers now, totally worth it. Adds Aprox. 18kdps to my group. or 6kdps to a single player if they open the fight with a Servant as I do.

It takes me about 4 seconds to Apply it for every 140-150 seconds of fights ( 5 fights x 27-28 seconds each ). So it Takes 2.5% of my fight-time, and increases DPS about 6-7%. ( my average DPS per mob is like 250kdps but there are add-fights and me chain pulling and stuff in there, its a long combined parse ) .

But yeah, worth using.
  8. IblisTheMage Augur

Theft of essence also heals 10k on pet, right?

Target: Single
    5: Increase Chance to Avoid Melee by 26%
    8: Increase Current HP by 10000
    9: Increase Max HP by 10000
    10: Increase ATK by 750
  9. Mintalie Augur

So, just to be sure this information is still current... I should stop using my pet aura? Because I literally always have it up.
  10. IblisTheMage Augur

Use Arcane Distillect :)
  11. Mintalie Augur

I do but now I'm worried...
  12. IblisTheMage Augur

Arcane Disillect uses your aura slot, theft uses the pet’s aura slot
    Sancus likes this.
  13. Rickate Augur

Arcane Distillect Effect and Theft of Essence Effect IX stack on both the pet of the caster and of the pet of the other Mage in the group.

[8519] Rathe's Strength Effect
    7: Increase Hit Damage by 10%

[22655] Arcane Distillect Effect
    7: Increase Hit Damage by 15%

[49702/16189] Theft of Essence Effect IX
    5: Increase Chance to Avoid Melee by 26%
    8: Increase Current HP by 10000
    9: Increase Max HP by 10000
    10: Increase ATK by 750
    11: Decrease Melee Haste by 75%

No clue why there would be a stacking issue, obviously there is a problem at least until the next patch with using Theft of Essence but that's a separate issue. Rathe's Strength is overwritten on both the caster's pet and the other pet by Arcane Distillect as expected.
    Mintalie likes this.
  14. Sancus Augur

It isn't a stacking issue with the effects, it's an issue with aura slots. Pets have one aura slot. As such, they cannot have both Theft of Essence and Rathe's Strength as auras. Just like you, as a player, cannot run multiple auras unless they're specifically coded to not consume aura slots.

Arcane Distillect uses the Mage's aura slot, allowing you to have Theft on your pet and AD on your Mage simultaneously.
    Mintalie likes this.
  15. Mintalie Augur

Appreciate the clarification, guys!
  16. Rickate Augur

Rathe's Strength Effect and Theft of Essence Effect stacks on a pet. Pets only have one Aura slot but that restriction is bypassed by grouping with another Mage.

On progression servers it's most likely to be relevant during the Seeds of Destruction expansion as Arcane Distillect is UF and Theft of Essence is a SoD AA. Outside of progression servers it's most likely to be relevant from Level 60 the requirement for ToE and Level 84 since Arcane is Level 85.

Players can run multiple auras, Auroria Mastery for Enc and Spirit Mastery for Clr in addition to a single Mage being able to maintain Arcane Distillect and Circle of Mana. Rathe's Strength could be simplified by making it cast on the Mage or using the same flagging mechanism as Circle. Casting on the Mage would change where the aura is centered but with a 240' foot range on Rathe this would not impact typical situations.
  17. Sancus Augur

This is correct.
    Theft of Essence VII requires Empires of Kunark, and that is the first rank that it is an aura.
    This is also correct. This was suggested to Dzarn a few times preceding RoS. It isn't a technical limitation in that the devs are perfectly able to create an aura that does not consume an aura slot or add aura slots, but it is the current reality. It would be great if that was changed.
    Mintalie likes this.
  18. IblisTheMage Augur

So one mage arcane, the other mage rathe’s, all get all benefits...
  19. Rickate Augur

No, Arcane overwrites Rathe.
  20. Evurkvest Augur

Does Arcane Distillect really make any difference? Parsed 3 x 10 min with and without the aura and the parse without AD actually was a tiny bit better.