The reason fast exp/easy gameplay is killing each tlp

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Rothj, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Trevalon Augur

There is a server for that, its called P99.

Thing is, Votes have been done in the past. Questions have been asked and these same conversations we are having now we were having in 2006 with Sleeper/Combine.

What has been found is modern TLP players don't want all that crap. They don't want corpse runs (I believe the official poll done in game with only people lvl 35+ (so harder to make a ton of accounts and skew results, though still somewhat possible) was like 98% of players did not want corpse runs). They don't want slow exp, they have lives and jobs and kids they want to be able to log on and get a few levels in a night and get off.

That doesn't mean there isn't a huge population that does want those things. P99 consistently gets a couple thousand players, but I would argue its less because of its rule set and more because its free.

The thing was SoE did its due diligence on the servers long ago and we have, over years of discussions, fine tuned these servers to what we have now. Are they perfect? No way. But they are what the majority of people seem to be at least ok with.

We have had slow EXP servers, like Coirnav and it was by and large a failure (though granted slow exp isnt the only reason Coirnav failed, there were alot of factorts), lets see if Mangler does better (Judging by the posts and guilds going there it already seems its going to be bigger than Coirnav).

I've been here since the very first and have lead many guilds and played on almost every single server and the thing I have found almost across the board on TLP servers is the vast majority don't want to play P99. They want to play an EQlite version that allows them to have a fun EQ fix without killing their RL in the process. If they wanted to play EQ ala 1999 they would be playing on the server that lets them do that: P99.
    Tymeless likes this.
  2. Green_Mage Augur

3. Accipiter Old Timer

That's why I quit Live a few years back. We are soon to be in Underfoot on Phinny. I'm not sure when that "too many buttons" feeling will hit again.
    Risiko likes this.
  4. Machentoo Augur

There is no incentive for them to do this when P99 already fills that niche for free.
  5. Jezzie Augur

Having never played P99 let me ask this. I know they have a no box policy but it seems like all the players that come from P99 to these TLP's has extensive knowledge of multi-boxing, so do they actually enforce that boxing policy.
    I'm seriously considering trying it after 10+ years with SOE/DBG. All this talk of 6 boxing on a truebox server is just a huge deterrent. I don't mind 2-3 boxing but it's getting silly. To be fair it had got silly by the time Coirnav was launched and DBG seem happy to just roll with it.
    It might be fun to go see the old FP bank 1 more time.
    I know the same guy supplying the hacks for EQ is the same guy that supplied for P99, what's that situation like?
    Do they police their servers or is it a kind of old boy network where "friends" get away with stuff that regular players would get banned for?
  6. Risiko Augur

Just fyi, P99 is not your only option. There is a whole community of EQemu servers. P99 is just the most popular/populated one. You might find one that better meets your needs if you find P99 doesn't.
  7. Watemper New Member

I was just going into it in a more progression state though, rather than just stopped at Velious. As in there is a wipe and it starts over every 3 years or something once it hits Velious or Luclin
  8. Watemper New Member

Yeah I totally agree that everyone who played EQ was some teenager with no life(Sarcasm). Lol, the only kids I ever met on EQ were kids playing with their family members. Practically everyone who played EQ worked 40-50 hours a week and had a wife/husband and kids. Hell I got a lot of business advice from several people in the game who owned there own companies. So your argument of everyone getting older and not having time is fallacious. Those people are just the me me me me me group that grew up in EQ and the I want everything my way type of person. My father, stepmom, and a few cousins all adults and with kids played while having a job.

Also, on your corpse run argument. That is fine that a lot of people don't like the corpse run aspect. Not my fault they want to kill risk vs reward in the game and actually fear the environment. I am personally waiting for Pantheon to come out, which will hopefully bring risk vs reward back to MMOs.
  9. Gremin Augur

There are too many factors as to why people leave a server or a guild. It can come down to as simple as someone "offends" them in /gu or /ooc, or they have a death in the family, funding for college runs out, new baby...list goes on. I, myself, enjoy new servers because of the initial rush. I tend to stay on the servers until something happens that makes me want to leave or something else comes along. I will be raiding on LJ, and playing on Mangler with some good friends who are in DHS on LJ. If those friends stopped playing I would probably also.
  10. Jezzie Augur

Appreciate the info but I'm guessing P99 has the highest population so I'd be guessing that it would be the most social of the emus?
  11. Master Kahleem Augur

I quit previous TLP for the OPPOSITE reasons you mentioned.

Primarily, the last TWO TLPs were far too slow for someone to actually enjoy the game with and have fun.

Eras not lasting long enough.

Guilds overall getting bored due to people taking too long to level, and then getting burned out super quick as a result.