The Queen's Decree

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Recnarp, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Recnarp Augur

A friend and I tried to two man this with an additional box. We got all the way to:

Defeat Grelleth 0/1 (Grelleth's Palace, the Chateau of Filth)
    Defeat all of Grelleth's remaining minions 0/1 (Grelleth's Palace, the Chateau of Filth)

Three things to note during this part. Grelleth does not reset her Fearsome Bellow stacks if you wipe which may or may not be intended. The prior task steps do not punish you if you wipe, however this one is awful if its working as intended.

Secondly, we wiped during the soldiers and undead add phase on this step. Once we recovered, we tried to kill the remaining adds, however the soldiers were spamming Axe Blade (i think that was the ability) back-to-back for 18k which ate through a necro's embalmers in a matter of seconds.

Finally, once you engage again after the wipe, there are traps everywhere that instantly one-shot a player who triggers it. Is this a bug or a hard fail mechanic? (ie, you got this far, but since you wiped you need to redo the whole mission)
  2. Talif Augur

I don't remember any of those things happening and we failed a couple of times before we got her down, though what you're calling a trap might actually be her special attack that requires agro swapping to prevent.
  3. Falos Augur

My friend (that doesn't box) did this mission with me (i 3 to 5 box depending on situation)

We were able to do this mission with minimal difficulty however we did wipe (or partially wipe) once or twice in the final phase.

I did notice those traps on my bard, whom ate a deathtouch when trying to initially split the trash mobs from the queen and fading off agro, I only encountered one trap so I'm not entirely sure on their placement or trigger) Ultimately though what we ended up doing was we had 6 trash mobs up from the final phase which were left over from overdpsing the queen accidentally (which does not take much dps to do)

So basically what we did is we just engaged the trash mobs next cycle and burned all 6 trash mobs down then gated out, medded back to full mana then re-entered and worked on queen. The only annoying thing about the queen is when you pet tank her, her DT emote hits the mages directly and not the pet. Multiple pets taunting seem to only work about 15 percent of the time. Mage can use a blur pet to wipe agro (mage fade not a valid option) but the blur pet will not refresh fast enough if she emotes the mage again soon after. Very annoying mob to tank for mages imo...

That all said though I think the mission is easy, we got all 3 achievements in one run, it's just a matter of persistence and dedicating 90 minutes of your life to the mission to beat (with all the conquests, less if you ignore them). Personally I feel the chapterhouse missions are harder, i've actually been avoiding chapterhosue 2 (havent even attempted it, it sounds like a nightmare to box). Grelleth is too long of a mission but there are other missions more in need of retunes imo.

For example I think East wastes mission 2 is harder in relation to other tier 1 missions than grelleth is in relation to other tier 2 missions. Chapterhouse missions are the only missions i'd consider god awful though.. well that and maybe evantil 2.
  4. Falos Augur

Quicky itemized list of things that I feel should be retuned in group content *despite the fact that i've beaten most of it already*)

Missions:
    tier 1:
    East Wastes mission 2: the mobs summoning at 100 percent (fixed next patch), and lowering the dps output of the main dragon boss should address a lot of issues in this mission

Tier 2:

Xorbb 2:
    Fix the charm and spell reflects, currently those achievements seem bugged even if you successfully reflect every beam it doesnt give an achievement and even if you never face xorbb the entire time and follow emotes correctly he still can charm you

Chapterhouse 1:
    Make the DT aura disappear after lord taros reaches the end point and the final boss goes active, the penalty for failure on this mission is a bit harsh.

Chapterhouse 2: I've heard bad things about this one but have not attempted it personally yet, it's pretty much all i have left in group content, i suspect it will be terrible based on the walkthrough though

Evantil 2: Put a checkpoint in the mission so a fail at the end doesnt mean a full restart basically, also reduce the rate in which adds spawn by like half

Grelleth2: maybe reduce the hp of all the non named adds by like half, as well as lowering their dps output, persistence wins the day in this mission but still, the mechanics of the raid don't scale too well for groupers.

Named Mobs:

Tier 1:
    change nothing, the named mobs in this tier already feel like trash mobs

Tier 2:

Xolok the Blind: for the love of god change his aura to be something besides a deathtouch OR drastically increase the size of the range in which you can safely be away from him without him lurching or rooting you.

Ritualist Blezon: The amount at which he heals himself, especially against pure caster dps is a bit ridiculous. I personally have killed him with nothing but caster dps but that does not negate the fact that he's a bit overtuned for the majority of modern day eq groupers. His health regen essentially makes the unusual creature from alaris look like nothing. His DPS output isnt that impressive but I suspect a lot of groups will not be able to pump out the DPS needed to take him down. His heal amounts should be reduced like 25 percent

Krondal: Kinda anti-melee, in the same sense that ritualist blezon is anti caster, this guy is anti melee. if you dont have people that can cast certain types of nukes he will power up and obliterate the main tank NP. I'm not exactly a fan of named mobs that require very specific archetypes to win. Krondal is super easy for someone that plays the classes i play, but kinda unfair to pure melee groups. His dps minimum damage modifier buffs basically ensure at max power he hits for full damage every round.. either the buff modifiers should be reduced by 20ish percent or his max hit damage should be reduced.

I believe that covers all the content that might be a bit unevenly tuned compared to the rest of the expansion for groupers, Some clases will find some of the things listed above very hard, while other classes may find it very easy, I still feel the things listed above warrant some minor readjustments. As far as I know everything else in the expansion is fine as is (or possibly too easy)
  5. AliveTank. Journeyman

So basically remove all challenge of RoF? gotcha, not everyone is supposed to beat everything.
  6. Falos Augur

Not really mr. anon.

Currently the expansion goes in two polar opposites, too easy, and too hard.. and they arent gonna tune stuff up soo... that leaves retuning certain broken content, Xolok the blind is essentially broken, he's beatable but it's a very very dumb unreasonable fight. The other two mobs i listed aren't in dire need of change I just mentioned them because one favors melee and the other favors casters, and it is drastically harder if you bring the wrong type of classes to the fight.

Like I said just because the majority of the content I listed was beatable by me doesnt mean it is tuned correctly... as old as eq is stuff needs to remain increasingly accessible to pickup groupers. Especially considering that this isnt the true end-tier. For the most part this expansion is too easy as is, but there are a few small things that are tuned in dumb ways. As it stands now the way the things i listed above are things no one will want to "farm" Xolok the blind isnt even attempted by most people because of how harsh a penalty he has for even a brief lag spike.. it's silly and needs to be changed.
  7. Troutfest Augur

AliveTank said:
    Honestly, this is group missions and mobs, everyone should be able to beat these. These aren't raids though some are based off tuned down raid mechanics. Anyone with a tank, healer, dps of some sort of the level range for these should be able to take these down without requiring special classes to do them.
  8. Gladare Augur

There's very few things in the expansion that you can't take out with mercs. So, let's remove them of course.
  9. Falos Augur

It's not about things being beatable with mercs it's about certain mechanics being too long or ridiculous.

Xolok is the prime example of this, even without mercs or boxes he's ridiculous.
  10. AliveTank. Journeyman

Yeah problem is that most people aren't geared for it and then whine they can't beat them.
  11. roguerunner Augur

The "traps" that kill players are you failing the tankswitch on Grelleth.
  12. Recnarp Augur

No, I don't think its that. That would be Fearsome Bellow if the target doesn't fade. This was acting like the notorious falling rocks in Korascian Warrens if you ran across the bridges.
    "You are injured by a trap."
    "You die."
    It would happen as soon as you engaged the boss and no damage would show up in the log files.

We decided to add a couple of people and ended up beating this, but I would say this needs another round of tuning since this is supposed to be a group mission.
  13. roguerunner Augur

Yes it is, it happens right after the fearsome bellow emote, it just doesn't say that Grelleth killed you, but rather a trap.
  14. Recnarp Augur

There is damage tied to the attack which shows up in the chat window. Are you saying that sometimes it shows damage and sometimes it shows up as a trap? Also, the emote gives you time to react, while the trap emote was happening on a random occurrence with or without emotes.