The "Patch"

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Braveheart, May 19, 2020.

1. minimind The Village Idiot

I was in college when the first cell phones with text messaging came out. Having to press cheap buttons multiple times to get to a single letter was a good reason to use abbreviations. When I'm using a full Qwerty keyboard, I use full sentences. I just like being understood in my communication, so clarity and precision matter.
  2. Triconix Augur

Nice catch :)
    Coagagin, Celephane, enclee and 4 others like this.
  3. IcebergDX Lorekeeper

I used to use texting abbreviations with my flip phone, but refuse to use them with a smart phone, or in written communications. I have more pride and respect for my education then that. Unfortunately people do it routinely now. For example, now I am involved with the review and interview process for my group in my company, and I have tossed RESUMES with that crap on it. And I am helping sort the resumes of candidates for a 100K/year job, not hiring at McDonald's. All that texting/Twitter abbreviations show now, in this age of unlimited texts, and twitter not being limited to 160 characters is that people are too f#&king lazy to do it right unless held to it. I still teach, but now I teach in the corporate world (OJT training) so I get paid a lot better, but I am still a teacher.)
    Coagagin and Herf like this.
  4. Colt4954 Journeyman

get off your high horse
  5. Byrrd New Member

You are crazy if you thought it was only going to be 24 hrs... they say 6 more hours now, but that is highly unlikely. Been having alot of problems lately, and i dont expect it to clear up much with the release of two new servers next week? Wheres that exp bonus at guys?
    lockjaws and Colt4954 like this.
  6. enclee Augur

So, so many errors in grammar and sentence structure.
    Coagagin and Colt4954 like this.
  7. Tuco Augur

I know, right? At least Triconix had the decency to write legibly from his high-horse. Iceberg's word vomit isn't even worth cracking grammar jokes at.
    Gyurika Godofwar, enclee and Colt4954 like this.
  8. Fohpo Augur

So clarity and precision only matter when less work is involved?
    Colt4954 likes this.
  9. Jimmy2times Elder

Good thing mathematics and science is what pays. This is a game not an English paper. I seent it wif my own 2 eyez.
    Gyurika Godofwar, enclee and Colt4954 like this.
  10. Herf Augur

If we're going the vintage-computer-experiences thing:

Remember trying to get PC games running in extended memory? Buying QEMM to manage the memory, but then you had to get both the game and QEMM running in the lower 630k :) I never did get the one game I bought this for to play. I think it was Night of the Comet, an early Cthulhu game by some French game company who had a multi-colored armadillo as their company symbol. I could get the stupid game graphics working, or I could have the audio, but not both.
    Jyve likes this.
  11. minimind The Village Idiot

No. Clarity and precision are compromised when the difficulty of communication increases. That's an expectation for all types of communication.

Twitter and Facebook are based on short messages. Misunderstanding (intentional or not) abounds.

People toil for hours on what someone meant by a particular text message.

12-key text-messaging is difficult and time consuming, so abbreviations are used to reduce the burden at the expense of clarity and precision.

Longer-form communication (emails, forum posts) allows for maximum clarity and precision.
    Celephane likes this.
  12. Fohpo Augur

But then arguing that e-mails or forum posts are "longer-forms" of communication is completely subjective and arbitrary. You came to this forum knowing that people were going to use broken English, internet short-hand, etc.; and then proceeded to grammar them about it and got defensive when they responded with hostility.
  13. Triconix Augur

Proper grammar and English is what gets you hired at those jobs. Your resume will get thrown into the trash if it's not edited. Also, I dare anyone to speak in abbreviations while at a job interview. Let me know how that goes.
    Herf likes this.
  14. Fohpo Augur

Numerous studies have shown that the thing most likely to get you hired is a social connection/network.
    Magneress likes this.
  15. Smallhands Elder

I would be inclined to agree for the most part. I mean look at who Twitch just hired.
  16. Triconix Augur

Yes, on professional sites such as Linked-In. Do you not think people comb through what they post on those sites with a fine comb and edit their sentence structures, wording, etc? People have jobs specifically catered around perfecting a person's social network profile.

Also, grammar and sentence structure make lasting impressions once you are in the professional realm. Having properly edited emails sent to senior management will always be noticeable. Those people who use coherent sentences are often promoted or receive raises at higher rates compared to people who do not. There are studies to confirm this.
  17. Sissruukk Rogue One

Anyone remember this:
    [IMG]
    Herf and Duder like this.
  18. Nennius Curmudgeon

Quite so, but a poorly written resume can easily keep you from getting hired. On the other hand, a post on these boards isn't really the equivalent of a resume. Is it?
    Jimmy2times and minimind like this.
  19. lockjaws Augur

Myst, 7th Guest, 13th Hour, and Sim City 2000 were my first CD-ROM games.
  20. Herf Augur

24 + 6 = 30....just say'n.