The "Patch"

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Braveheart, May 19, 2020.

1. Nadisia Augur

Hehe Sturm. :)
    I have some vague memories of this ... brick, the TRS 80 (Tandy).
    Dad used one for some time, then he put it in the attic.

Never used this, I wasn't even born I guess, or maybe little baby :D
    Andarriel and Sissruukk like this.
  2. Herf Augur

That was it, it was NT.
  3. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Remember playing Oregon trail in junior high on the apple that and deer hunter. The librarian had a mac and had some flight simulator he was high end lol.

Andarriel
  4. Graytis Lorekeeper

I thought one of the coolest things I'd ever seen in grade school was someone loading a floppy into a TRS-80 we were learning BASIC on... and playing 13 Ghosts. Felt like a homemade game for some reason, and I got super-excited for the future of computer gaming, as I'd only experienced up to the Atari 2600 at that point. How lucky are we to have witnessed the evolution of the video game industry?
  5. Yimin Augur

This patch started 21 years ago ! We have all been caught in an event horizon ! :D

YiMin
    Buster_Shruggs, Nennius and Metanis like this.
  6. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

yea the library also had a vic 20 text adventure games ( the count) back when I had a c64 I miss that system wish I didn't sell it as there hard to get in nice shape.

Andarriel
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  7. mark Augur

c64 was my first pc had like 10 catridges tape player and 500 floppy discs with games i dont think i played all the games on it,but i miss my colecovision also
  8. NightKing Journeyman

I had all those Vic20 text games by Scott Adams back in the early 80s. Was it the count, or was it called Voodoo Castle. Voodoo Castle was awesome!
    Zaray likes this.
  9. Nennius Curmudgeon

This does explain a lot. Maybe the next Matrix reboot will alter our present reality.
  10. Ninelder Augur

They aren't weirdos. While the Amiga definitely blew IBM and APPLE-MAC out of the water performance wise; it might not of made the top 10 of best computers during the computer wars of the 80s and early 90's. The Amiga was based on a meg of conventional memory, the machines we use today are 640k.

Unfortunately free-trade competition only exists with equal opportunity. IBM's were the worst machines competing, but won out due to more base starter funding which was used to bribe politicians and banking officers. Once the government and the banks were in pocket, the rest of the world had to fall in line due to compatibility. Apple while still crap compared to other machines being developed, tried to use the same route that most religions do: They supplied free computers to schools(get em while their young.) They also specialized in graphics, which is why all GFX companies today still use them.
    Coagagin likes this.
  11. svann Augur

Its a good thing you didnt say time warp!
  12. Irritated New Member

Loved this Game! I just came back to EQ about a month and a half ago. Based on what I've witnessed, does anyone really believe this will only be a 24 hour maintenance? Hate to say it, but seems like it might be a 30 hour maintenance with 8-12 hours of emergency maintenance :( Has it been this way since Sony sold it?
  13. Jyve Augur

256kb first release on the A1000, with the upgrade to get a solid 512kb, but the chipset supported 2mb chip ram (that the custom chips could access) I think it was, then 32mb of fast ram (processor only access ram). Later revisions of Agnus went upto 8mb of chip ram and... dunno for fast ram, probably still 32mb onboard, and whatever would fit into the zorro ports.
    End 80's/early 90's, it was way up there for capability, took a LONG time for other machines to be able to do what the Amiga was able to do from the start.
    Tatanka likes this.
  14. Nennius Curmudgeon

You are wise with the force. This isn't actually new. Long patches have been taking place now and then since well before Sony sold it. Having said that, there has been a lot of down time recently. :(
  15. mewkus Augur

I was at their 20th anniversary show / get together they had at the ComicCon museum last year. At it, they had the chassis from one of their original servers, which had since been converted into a beer/keg tap. If I recall correctly, it was a Silicon Graphics server computer. It might have been a Sun. It was not a windows machine.
  16. kizant Augur

The Amiga was too late to the game and couldn't keep up with the competition. It was no conspiracy. It just had no market.

It comes out the same year as the NES which obviously dominated the video game/console market in a way that hadn't been seen since the 2600. So, it's life for gaming is short lived. The 386 came out a year later and was much much better for business software. Nobody was buying an early 68k for spreadsheets, I'm sorry. Plus IBM/MS had all the good business applications. Then you had Apple with a much much nicer and easier to use O/S which came out over a year earlier. They definitely weren't converting Mac owners that's for sure. Not to mention Apple had already built up a huge amount of brand loyalty from the Apple II. And it had the same 68k processors and many of the same hardware capabilities. It just wasn't considered a toy made for playing video games.
  17. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Respectfully disagree. When it came out, it was head-and-shoulders ahead of the PC and Mac. It got widely used in cable TV offices, and with artists. But, it had NO support from office/productivity s/w makers, and that's what killed it. No business would buy one, and it just continued in its niche spot in the market, til that wasn't enough to keep it going.

To succeed (and I said this at the time), they needed to go to the big productivity s/w makers, and just pay them to port their programs. Had that happened, it would have been a totally different story.
  18. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

My Mum & Dad bought a C64 early on with a disk-drive & monitor with the agreement it was our family computer though as the nerd of the family I got the most use out of it and we used it for plenty of stuff besides games too, we had bought some accounting /word processing software for it that we used for the family transport business, and being familiar with that early on was handy for job interviews I was going to later on for sure, such a good machine with an incredible library of games.

The Amiga (& Atari ST) were a great era of 16-bit home computers, the Amiga's OS Workbench & the GUI were ahead of their time for sure. I have some fond memories of being a 15yr old schoolkid & working weekend jobs & paper-rounds like crazy for months to buy my own and I was crazy happy with it for years.
    Jyve and Tatanka like this.
  19. IcebergDX Lorekeeper

Trash 80 and a Commode door 64. And I had a Timex Sinclair 1000 Sorry it does not show the tape recorder or the TV. For those that do not know, the box on the back expanded the machines 1KB memory with and additional 16 KB.

[IMG]
    Gyurika Godofwar, Nadisia and Tatanka like this.
  20. svann Augur

IIRC the last 24 hour patch ended 2 hours early.