The only question should be how long.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Litoeon, Apr 8, 2015.

1. code-zero Augur

For a lot of people the Progression Server presents an enjoyable challenge. You can restrict yourself from using things like defiant voluntarily but on no live server do you really face competition for things like you will on the progression server.

I can see the appeal and really wish that they'd gone with the Seasonal with auto unlocks of expansions once objectives are met and a running "score board" on the EQ website to advertise what achievement has been beaten by who.
  2. Hateseeker Augur

Fresh start...I have no interest in starting again and soloing up then being a burden on a raid guild while I get up to speed. Heck, I don't even have any interest in starting with my old 85 characters from when I last played.

That also factors into why I wish we had a true EQ successor design/mechanics in a new game - the fresh start part alongside all the other players starting at level 1, is just as important as anything.
  3. PathToEternity pathtoeternity.pro

For me some of it would be fine, but many of those items should have been in on day one. There's no reason to not know which a_gnoll you have targeted for example. Five minute zoning? that, I'm on a PC not a PlayStation. For me interacting with the game is important. Whether something makes things easier or not isn't the deciding factor, but just what feels more natural or what makes the most sense.

Hell, I still wish they fix the zone-in to CT...
  4. Aenoan Augur

That hasn't happened on live servers in a very long time, in fact the very opposite has been happening since like 2005.

https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/index.php?threads/dude-wheres-my-char.194556/
    https://www.everquest.com/news/imported-eq-enus-51238

And we could easily merge that down even further. We could probably get away with 6 servers running and have space.

Here's the thing the people who want these progression realms, well maybe mostly me but regardless this just my opinion on the subject.
    Even back then the game was bad, I mean real bad. That's why we have all these QoL changes in things like Kunark and Velious but they pushed content to fast for a slow game. It caused a gap between players, those who fell behind completely left the game, the people who enjoyed it but were still able to keep up with the content stuck it out, the raiders, well its partially our fault we when we figured out raiding and the race happened, we chewed through content like a fat kid in a candy store. If Verant/SOE had ignored us and kept the content strong and frustratingly difficult without changes/nerfs (emp ssra changes,VT, Hate, PoMis, Ring Event in ToV) and everything else I am forgetting. They game might have been better off.

Some of the biggest downfalls was WoW obviously it caters to a different crowd. In WoW the game starts at 60, they don't care about 1 to 59 or now 1 to 99. A disappointing fact but no less true.
    EQ tried to adopt some of these ideas, it changed the game significantly in my eye for the worse.
    Things like the tutorial make the game far worse. All the defiant armor is no better, I would rather start a lone in Freeport and play the game the way it was ment to be played. Mercs funny enough I don't mind, it really helped because there are more times often then not where I am LFG and the content I want to play can't be solo'd well, can't really be molo'd either.

Anyway. I love the old content, but its nostalgia that brings me back, not because I want an old UI that was horrible to navigate or everything else that came to with the package, but the memories no matter how miserable they were at times!
    The content was always fun. But a lot of the QoL things they added did help. But a lot was unnecessary money grab or something to keep players around when they just need to understand the whole "If ain't broke, don't fix it"

I don't mind corpse runs but a lot of what was listed, I have no desire to relive. People just don't seem to understand, what it was like. I don't think they actually played this game back then, they claim they might have but I have serious doubts.
  5. code-zero Augur

We have several live servers that hit high capacity almost daily and most will be at capacity during special events.

You have no idea what they can handle, how many consecutive logins and what would happen if you arbitrarily started merges.

This is the sort of garbage that causes the majority of regular players to hold the part timers who show up for the first few months of a progression server in contempt. You always act like this one or two servers is going to save the game when the game would be better served with more focus on live, no squandering of earnings from EQ on junk games and no attention at all paid to progression servers
  6. Aenoan Augur

Lol. Not sure where thats coming from.
    I for one I am all in for Progression servers. I played on the last 3 (if you count mayong as one though it was brief, only a month if that)
    Several live servers? I think that's an exaggeration. I mean all servers at some point probably hit high capacity depending on the peak of the populations play time.
    But until we start getting "Queues" to get in a specific server on a daily basis......../shrug
    Nothing wrong with merging more.

As for progression servers, they do a lot to boost the player population. I am willing to bet a lot of the people who played in ROI back on Combine, probably wouldn't have come back and I would like to think some are still here. Playing in or outside of the guild. I could probably say the same for Fippy/Vulak too.

But to be as naive to think that population is giant and always has been its just not good. Especially when its just been proven that there has been two merges.