The obvious xp problem

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Veteran 99, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Whulfgar Augur

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAA

So first you quit .. then bought a life time sub .. then said "I hate eq" an ran to the TLP's..

Why are you posting on something that holds ZERO relevance what so ever to you .. on TLP's ?
  2. Zanarnar Augur

Where did I say I quit the game totally? I said I quit playing live... big difference. Also, seeing as the last lifetime sub sale was over a year ago, I've had that for a year. I kinda wish I didn't but whats done is done. I don't hate EQ. I hate some recent decisions. I hate some not-so-recent decisions. I'm pretty vocal about those things too, but there isn't much point in re-hashing them here, again.

For me personally?
    1) Eventually, their live design choices impact TLP's. Who knows, I might even stick one out long enough to get to this expansion. That's pretty unlikely though.
    2) While waiting for an install to finish, and having checked my email already, I need something to do besides watch a progress bar move from left to right.
    3) I can.
    Whulfgar likes this.
  3. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Forcing people to do something isn't going to force them to like it.

A lot of folks would be happy with EQ following the same pattern it has with most expansions. Period. And you are right it is easy for the devs to do.

What requires real design skills is the ability to create content that will satisfy most players and not alienate a large number. It's almost like the devs are required to shoot themselves in the foot in some manner each expansion.

For YEARS people have played EQ and enjoyed the grinding of exp so let's radically change how it is done because maybe then we can get the game to sunset. Maybe the devs are all trying to get severance packages.

I see how the bad exp will hurt mid tier raid guilds who go through a lot more deaths then usual. I wish more folks on the forums would spend less time telling folks how they are supposed to have fun or how they aren't so bad off and just try to see things from the perspective of others.
    Vumad likes this.
  4. Benito EQ player since 2001.

In my opinion, as a higher end casual, I honestly think ToV xp design helps more casuals than the credit the design receives on the forums. I have reached levels faster in ToV than grinding to 110 in the RoS expansion. If you think about it, ToV mercs and partisans are basically kill x number of mobs (i.e. Franklin Teek). Missions are a different animal and that's where it truly hurts casuals (if on low pop server) but that's the minority of achievements.

As mentioned before in other threads, it's likely that they will reduce future achievement xp by -50% but bump grind xp by +25%.
  5. Benito EQ player since 2001.

As I progress and time wears on, I honestly think ToV helps more casuals than the discussion on the forum lets on.

It took me months to level to 110 in RoS. I am leveling steadily within the first month.

I actually think achievement xp is so good that they will nerf it by 50% in the next expac and bump grind xp slightly with 10-25% increase.
    Yinla likes this.
  6. Natal Augur

They can't just up grind xp because that would supercharge AA gains. The correct solution is to reduce the amount of xp needed to level. There was a big jump at 111 over 110, instead of the more usual 10-20% it was more like 100%. So, what they need to do is reduce the amount of xp required to level 111 through 115 by ~40% (which would bring it to effectively 20% per level over 110 as a baseline). At the same time the amount of xp granted by the achievements and various quests should be reduced by the same percentage, so that the relative gain on completing those remains the same as it was before.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  7. Benito EQ player since 2001.

That makes sense. However, some might argue that AAxp is too slow (rightly or wrongly, moving the goal post). Though, I agree. ToV achievement XP is probably too generous in this iteration. The next expansion will find a happy medium.
  8. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

Forced progression is worse that forced trials (hint: the TBL ones they said they wouldn't repeat)

I would say this is how you kill EQ for all but the group who like the EQ quest system and think it is peachy keen. It has always been lacking compared to other MMOs.....

I have heard tales of people levitated over a spot that was the precise spot that was required for a step in a TOV progression quest and they didn't get credit and spent significant time resources trying to find out why. This is an example of "fake difficulty."

"Fake difficulty" is what most wished the most for with TOV. But we see it again.
  9. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

One other random thought about this "forced progression" scheme in TOV. Maybe Daybreak\Darkpaw might care, maybe not.... but... since being alienated with this element of "forced progression" and it introduction of "fake difficulty" a la what trials were in TBL, I have been playing a ton of World of Warships.

I probably spent 500 to 600 bucks on that game over the holidays at least as I was looking to fill game time normally spent in EQ. I probably would have spent that on EQ. But maybe money doesn't matter for the Devs?
  10. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

Anything bad for automated players is good for the game.
    Benito and Whulfgar like this.
  11. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I guess we will see if that is true assuming they ever add something bad for automated play.
  12. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

Actually the script kiddies in ST figure this is a bonanza! They get to charge for 4X the hours to get to the target level. It might be more than 4X...could be alot more.

The scripts dont care how long it runs... only the player paying the krono. The devs just handed the MmmmQbruhs a HUGE raise. Not sure that was what they wanted to do though.
  13. Whulfgar Augur

Thee only thing thats questionable here is .. how you know they charge per hr ?

Logically thinking this through means you have used them jn the past. Thats my guess.
    Kaenneth and Benito like this.
  14. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

FV general chat channel. Multiple adverts an hour, all with prices expressed in krono. There are anywhere from 500 to 900 in genchat channels and subchannels at any given time on FV....all who can read will know what the rate structure looks like.

Next question please....
    Whulfgar likes this.
  15. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Considering how easy the merc/partisan tasks are (10% xp per merc ach, 20% xp per partisan ach), you'd be crazy to pay for anything....
  16. Benito EQ player since 2001.

ToV design undermines their market. You can get 20% into level per ToV partisan achievement and 10% into level per ToV merc achievement. They are basically Franklin Teek tasks on steroids...
    code-zero likes this.
  17. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Achievement XP basically power levels you.
  18. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

Your underlying assumption is that you like the EQ task system. I do not. I find it lacking is many many ways compared to other MMOs. Now there is a quest system outside of the task system that is perfectly acceptable. But we are not talking about that. The TOV progression you like so much and is forced on players with this expansion takes place within the task system.

The forced progression in TOV is essentially the new "trials" a la TBL.
  19. Benito EQ player since 2001.

You've totally discarded your "script kiddies" point. Lol.

ToV design kills the market for powerleveling (automated play) and helps casual players to gain XP quickly. Personally, as a high end casual, I am doing much better with ToV than RoS.

If you don't like ToV progression, that's your opinion. It seems to be doing more good than "this is how I play." Albeit, achievement XP is probably too generous.
  20. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

There is nothing forced about TOV progression. No matter how many times you say it, the comparison will always fall short of reality. You undercut your entire argument by bringing up TBL's trials. Most of an expansion was locked behind those tasks while nothing is locked behind TOV progression other than hero AAs.
    Benito likes this.