The "No box" Server Information

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Frenzic, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Frenzic Augur

Shhh! Let the lemurs think I'm a master hacker!
    Agrippa likes this.
  2. Porygon Augur

Oh I gotcha. Thanks!
  3. Tachyon Augur

I've played since day one and if you want to address issues boxing, scripting, hacking, whatever you want to call it isn't one of them. It's playtime.

A limited resource game where some people play 15-20 hours a week and others play 15-20 hours a day is never going to be balanced, fair, even, etc.

Everquest always has and always will be about playtime. We had these discussions way back in 2000 and every year since. M q ers don't rule the game. People who play all the time eventually start m q ing because there is nothing better to do.

The tail wags the dog!
    Reht and rune00 like this.
  4. Frenzic Augur

I wholeheartedly disagree that mass boxing, scripting and hacking is not an issue in Everquest. I can't believe any legit player would feel that way... Read between the lines there.

No one said Everquest was fair or balanced. Adding a new unbalancing program does not make the situation better. It's like adding weed to America that is already ridden with alcoholics and thinking it's going to make the country better...

M Q is one of the major problems that plague this game. In years past these cheaters were shunned and excommunicated. Have we really fallen so far as a community that people are willing to accept blatant cheaters now? As I said, no player who plays by the rules has this opinion, it's the vocal cheaters trying to make their cheats legal.
  5. sleka Lorekeeper

It's there, it is how they can ban you from ever creating a DBG account. You would have to buy a new machine. People have gotten around it but if they have solved the virtual environment 3rd party issue then that avenue will be dead as well.
  6. Tachyon Augur

I remember playing with your "progression" guild on Trak. You were on 24/7 farming bosses and passing out gear to guildies. Is that legit?

I don't think you were using third party programs. You certainly didn't have to there. But you devalued the entire experience by making the game about what Frenzic can get for you instead of what can you accomplish yourself or with relatively normal friends.

I play on Lockjaw and enjoy it because every piece of gear I'm wearing I earned myself. I looted them from mobs I killed, or had a substantial part in killing. Cheaters are only a part of the equation if you succumb to their tactics.
  7. Porygon Augur

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. The blocking code is already in place in the current source, and any decently skilled programmer could find it. How easy it is alter, and how long that would last is another story.
  8. Frenzic Augur

I was not farming bosses 24/7. I would take loot that members donated and hand it out as extras when we defeated the content that dropped it. For example I had a member donate two cloak of flames. When we killed naggy I added a cloak to each of the first two kills. This was not a secret either.

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your time with me though.
  9. PeteSamprasMMO New Member

I LOL'd @ the amount of denial from users and "insight" from people that have no idea what they are talking about on this thread. Good times.
  10. Frenzic Augur

Do give some examples Pete. We're all dying to know what you think. Don't be a tease :)
  11. PeteSamprasMMO New Member

Well, for one, if you recognize my name in everquest/3rd party context, then odds are you are one of the aforementioned cheaters. But let's ignore the obvious.

Some examples would be that over the years I have personally set up .ini for my bots for some white knights on this forum so I find it hilarious when they grab the pitchforks over 3rd party software. This often leads me to the conclusion that the simplest answer regarding who knows anything about said software is that they are often users themselves.

Then those that think it is super easy to do X or Y often have no idea of the level of effort that is required to make it happen. Such as those that think any programmer can do a hack for eq. Nobody cares about eq in the scheme of things and working on 3rd party software for a 17 year old program is more of a pain than anything; a handful of people know how to do it and if they decide not to, it isn't getting done. Most the coders don't even play the game. It is done for fun. I'd just calm down about the whole situation and be happy that eq exists still if you are into playing it.

Regardless if someone uses 3rd party or not, it really only makes a difference in pvp or if they are being griefers/spawn monopolizers in most cases. And you don't need to have 3rd party for that, you just need to be an . Active hacks are a bit of a different beast, but for the most part those are already monitored/squelched. So in the scheme of things I'd rather have someone botting off in a corner than being a griefer affecting others.
  12. Frenzic Augur

I know full well who you are and what you've done. Doesn't mean I have personal dealings with you.

That maybe true, but never for me as I've never had personal dealings with you. I simply know your work :)

Could not agree with this more. People clamoring that hacker01 will bypass Valdemort, simply don't know what they are talking about.

I disagree on old world content. Having that advantage can be huge in competition. On Fippy many many people were warping and zone shifting. Automated harm touches, warping to dragons on spawn, ect ect. In the grand scheme of things, a boxer who is auto killing alone in the corner of an unused zone, does little to the community. The problem is that is not what these people do. They take popular contested spawn areas and hold them with their cheating advantage.
  13. sihpa Augur

First of all petesamprasmmo dude you are creepy as but thats based on nothing in particular. Just a gut feeling. And a google search that came up empty except for your posts here on the forums.

Second, I've rarely seen someone shut down frenzic's big mouth as long as you did. I love how he was all about to put your tip in his mouth (pete ol buddy, ol friend my bestest pal tell us your thoughts..) then you replied to his post and basically implicated him. lol classic..

Third I did end up checking your one prior post on these forums and found something very interesting indeed.
    Extortion? Blackmail? Idk take your pick. Where frenzic (the barer of good tidings and insider infoz) falls within that is anyones guess but I bet you he won somehow because he's a winner!!

Anyways the one thing you two clowns have said thats true without a doubt is that no one gives two bits about cheaters and hackers as long as they're off in a corner doing their dirty business. Hence INSTANCING is the only sure fire way to resolve the issue.

Going on and on about how you cheaters have finally seen the light and are going to "allow" us to have a hack/cheat free server is BS. It's also a cop out if DBG is going to use this as their selling point and forego instancing because "resources". Putting their money into paying someone to instance the raids, instead of paying off bribes or W/E the they're wasting money on, is a better long term financial decision for the company.
  14. sihpa Augur

You mean like ixboxer? Also anyone that reads you commentary from the fippydetective guy can quickly see you talking about being an mquester. YOU SAID IT. Not someone else.

You are so twisted in your thought process man seek help.
  15. Frenzic Augur

The fippy detective you're most likely referring to is from the reddit post? That would be the only logical reason for your continued misinformation. That fippy detective is a fake wanna be who stole the name. The real detective never saw me do any cheating, check back and research it a bit.

As for your post before this one... are you hitting the bottle? I don't know Pete and am certainly not his friend. No one "shut me up" I'm simply at work and can't always respond quickly.

I think it's important to speak to motivations here. The voldemort devs are trying to make the program legal by selling daybreak this narrative that the program is simply adding much needed features. It's the evil users that are to blame for its bad reputation. What a load of bs lol.

Pete comes in this thread and admits to working on bots. Never in this games history have cheaters been so out in the open with nothing to fear and it disgust me. For those not in the loop, Pete is the author of a voldemort plugin that completely automates your characters. It essentially turns any player into a merc to be controlled. He brought botting to the mainstream and made it easier than ever.
  16. PeteSamprasMMO New Member

FWIW, regarding motivations: I don't play eq and haven't for quite some time. I don't sell anything. Everything I write is freely provided and the only money I have ever gotten out of it was what random people have decided to donate to me unsolicited. I have no vested interested in what is allowed or not. If eq disappeared tomorrow, I lose nothing. They could ban this account and it doesn't affect me as I have no characters anyway. I do what I do for fun and choose what to support as it piques my interest. Supporting bots on TLP servers doesn't interest me, so I never have. Supporting the new ruleset server doesnt interest the main author, so I wouldnt expect support on that server at all in any form unless someone else figures it out and wants to take the time to maintain it.

I was actually staunchly against 3rd party software back when it first came out when I was in Pandemonium on Zek back in 2001-2003 despite the entire officer corp using it. I had to leave the server it was so bad because hacking pvp is just lame. I would never provide direct support for pvp. PVE? As long as you aren't interfering with others I don't really care. Nobody wants griefers.

The white knights on forums get boring when I know full well every guild I've been in since 2001 had 3rd party software users from the leadership on down because I would eventually catch them or they'd admit it. This included casual to hardcore guilds. I'd get guest invites and catch other guilds too on more than a couple servers. Then there were the individuals in top guilds that I set up .inis for their characters. In fact, the more raid focused, the more likely the entire leadership had it. It is easy to catch people when you know what to look for, especially when they use stuff you wrote. I would wager money without hesitation that you or someone in Twisted Legacy uses some 3rd party software and I would win.

But I would also imagine that DBG would lose a sizable chunk of income if they banned everyone running the software. You can swing the ban hammer on emerging or strongly backed games to send a clear message while still getting new players. Newsflash: Everquest isnt getting any new players. They are getting boxers/botters/returning players/family members maybe. So they balance it by going after the griefers and the AFKers that get /reported. It is probably a small minority that uses, but it's a vast majority of guilds that at least has that 1 user helping out with something on some scale and people are either complicit or just look the other way.

But to your point that it adds features: it is absolutely true. I played everquest an extra 10 years only because of the software so that I could "do more" on my own schedule with or without needing other people. Grouping became a chore over a decade ago when the population thinned. It took 30-60 minutes to get a good one going, then it would fall apart faster than that usually. People would AFK randomly or just be terrible. At my peak I had 6-14 actively paid eq accounts. So SOE got many thousands of dollars out of me that they otherwise would not have if it didn't exist. I had more fun coding than playing and some stretches only kept the accounts to test my code. I would have never touched the game after 2003 otherwise. There have been many people that have stated the same thing.

So ya, i think the software can bring income to DBG without impacting others so long as individuals aren't abusing it via griefing. and if they are griefing, then report them regardless of if they use software or not. Nobody gets a free license to be an idiot. I also think DBG would just straight up get more users if they had something similar that they offered on their own like was introduced with mercs. Extend the API, make multiple instances (boxing) friendlier, and add some scripting and then you don't need 3rd party software and they can rake additional profits while maintaining what can be done and simultaneously leveling the playing field for everyone.

Also, @ that quote.. Star Citizen really is expensive if you go all out right now. I am like $6k into that game. It is a problem. It looks like it is going to be awesome, but if it turns out to suck, I will be the saddest panda.
    frankie78227 and Porygon like this.
  17. Mabbu-EQ Elder

Having a bronze item on your cursor made stacks of bonechips easier to pick up actually.

Not that I'm agreeing with something Frenzic said...He will quit EQ again in T-Minus 30 days guys... so just endure his propaganda threads in the mean time while we wait.
  18. frankie78227 Augur

Now this is a wonderful thread. Keep up the good work. :D
    Frenzic likes this.
  19. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

A Frenzic post by Frenzic about Frenzic brought to you by Frenzic. Some pixel-egos really knows few bounds, eh?

Seriously, these posts are about "public service" as much as the thread thanking you for taking Krono to kill Brother Zephyl for people was. These threads are about Frenzic. Not to mention the exquisite irony of making statements like:
    Good Frenzic to you.
    Frenzic likes this.
  20. Vaclav Augur

It's not really ironic - sometimes when you want to kick a habit you need help - even if you want to kick it.

I personally went out of my way to get a quest exploit nerfed before TLP 1.0 to make sure I wouldn't feel tempted to use it. And I was happier for it. [Part of where my hand cramp comment to Frenzic earlier in the thread came from... lots of clicking...]