The newest newbie

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Vumad, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Vumad Cape Wearer

For people with kids...

How young is the youngest kid you know playing (not rumors, your child or the child of a person you interacted with directly.)

What were there little people capable of doing? And how did you set things up to help them do it?

Thanks.
  2. Bashiok Crownguard Augur

https://www.daybreakgames.com/terms-of-service#section3

I don't think it's within the boundaries of the rules to have anyone playing under 13, nor would I personally try to recruit ANYONE under 13 to play. I'm simply not interested in interacting with young folks or recruiting kids to do something I can do better myself via boxing.

That is to say, I don't feel like the official forums is the best place to ask about something that's explicitly against the terms of service.
  3. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I has occasion to "interact" with a professional "dancer" around the age of 16 - according to the tv show she was also on and what she said in the game. She had no parental supervision. It was pretty upsetting considering the innuendos she was making about going behind the crates in Dulak Harbor. And then pretending to not understand what upset others who suggested to her that she not be so "open". Although she was adult enough to be a professional dancer, she was not adult enough to play this game and interact with RPG adults.

Twice I have encountered other young children who were accompanied in the game by fathers. I did not ask their age but they had limited social skills. As in real life the parents seldom "helped" the child but instead told others to give them items cause they were just kids and didn't know how to obtain stuff in game. If we tried to explain how to do something in chat for the 10th time (something as simple as advising them to use the zone guide on the map) then the parent would go off on us accusing us of being too mean, that it was too hard and it was only a child.

Overall, I would not suggest EQ as a game for the children even with adult supervision. If you don't know what a ducked character hopping towards you means or if you take offense to bold language or to mean players then there are other games that would be better. Like real life - EQ can be harsh.
  4. Flatchy Court Jester

My kid was playing before he could write. He did very well and managed to get into groups. It was kind of funny because id go over and read his group text and some folks would be cussing at him for not listening.
    Vumad and Funky like this.
  5. Vumad Cape Wearer

I'm not looking to give a toddler a laptop and an Everquest account and telling them to go nuts. I am not randomly recruiting children. I am not looking to pawn my parental responsibilities off on random internet people.

We play forza. She uses the wheel and I operate the pedals for her. It's teaching her left and right.

We play minecraft. She tells me what color blocks and where to put them. Colors and using pieces to make shapes.

We play Empires and Puzzles. I match it and she clicks the hero's by color and the diamonds. Colors and shapes.

Right now the only interaction with EQ is sitting on my knee. I was looking at having her just start pressing Q and # hotkeys.

I have a G910 keyboard so I can color code the keyboard however I like.

I am not breaking the EULA because SHE IS NOT playing the game. I am using my play time in the game to teach my child numbers, colors and letters.

So, negativity aside, has anyone else used Everquest as an educational tool, while the PARENT is playing the PARENT'S account.
  6. Vumad Cape Wearer

The Eula doesn't actually prohibit children under the age of 13 from playing. The only other time children are mentioned in your link are for the epilepsy warning.

From your link.

CHILDREN UNDER THE AGE OF 13

The Daybreak Websites are general audience websites and are not directed to children under the age of 13. We do not knowingly collect via the Daybreak Games personally identifiable information from children under the age of 13.
  7. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I think people misunderstood your original question. It was very basic and we took it to mean playing with some sort of understanding or comprehension of the game.

However, from the clarification that was posted it appears you are teaching the child shapes, colors and directions. I think the EQ UI is too busy for that and possible above a toddlers mentality - have you tried the Lego games - the characters would appeal more to a toddler ? Especially the Jurrasic world one as all toddlers love dinosaurs.
  8. Vumad Cape Wearer

I don't think people misunderstood. I think people just have different expectations of children. I have found, now that I have a child I interact with every day, that there is a mismatch between what children are capable of and what they are given the opportunity to do. I prefer to let my child try, safely, the things they show interest in, and that guides me as to what they can and can not do.

Since kiddo has expressed interest in EverQuest by asking to watch, I just figured I'd see who had similar experiences and how they handled it.

Here's how I am handling it...

Think about this from 2 perspectives. One is sharing time together. The other is about education, development and psychology.

I created a profile for my G910 keyboard.
    Q is red
    H is yellow
    Movement is blue (wasd, space, arrows, not duck atm)
    Hotbar keys are purple
    Everything else has no back light.

At this time, we are only working with the very simplest of things. I ran to a rat in the tutorial and told her to press the red Q key. It took effort for her to complete that simple task, but this works with something she knows, the color red, and incorporates two things she does not know, the letter Q and the keyboard layout.

The same thing is done with the letter H for hails. Daddy is running the show, but she is helping daddy within her capacity. It's like that country song She Thinks She's Just Fishin'. She's spending time having fun with daddy, and has no idea she's basically at school.

Since the G910, like many other keyboards, is fully RGB customizable, I can start with the most basic of concept and expand upon them. So, I can have simply the numbers 1 and 2 purple, and as she understands those numbers and buttons, I can add more purple numbers.

And we do play other games together. She doesn't understand the Xbox remote yet, but I have plenty of lego games.
    Usually we play minecraft and she tells me which color blocks to put where and I do it for her.
    I bought a TMX Pro racing wheel so we can play Forza together, so she steers and I operate the pedals. On forza to teach her how to use the wheel, I put a piece of panters tape on the center of the wheel sticking up above the wheel making the shape of an arrow. Now she doesn't need it and knows her left and right.