THE Merc changes

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by CatsPaws, May 11, 2022.

1. BalazarTheFirst New Member

Greets All, returning player with a question. Started up as FTP and got the apprentice merc. Is there a way to upgrade to get the Journeyman? Thanks in advance for any help.

B
  2. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

If you are now a subscriber, you need to fire your apprentice and hire a Journeyman. If you are/were a subscriber and go to F2P, you have to fire your journeyman merc to hire an apprentice. If you have a journeyman merc on a F2P account, you cannot use it.

I don't think that changed just the ranks are gone now but I didn't change to/from subscriber T2P before the change but did after. F2P has always been limited to apprentice but used to have 5 ranks of apprentice after doing the quest(s) the same as a subscriber having access to 5 ranks of journeyman.
    code-zero likes this.
  3. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Nope. If you want Journeyman you have to subscribe. For some odd reason when you subscribe you can chose between Apprentice and Journeyman, in fact the scree defaults to Apprentice. Just a little glitch that happened when they reduced the merc to just 2 types. Paid or not Paid.

Opps, didn't mean to step on your answer Rij:)
    Rijacki likes this.
  4. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

Same thoughts :)
    I should have mentioned the Merc option defaults to Apprentice even when subscribed. It's easy to miss.

I suspect that's because Apprentice is an option in both and it can be messy (even outside of EQ) to have the default option be different based on an outside dependency. Older code bases can be finicky with dynamic stuff.
  5. Alnitak Augur

Nah, Apprentice should be a default choice even for All Access. Reason - better safe than sorry. My f2p characters at times use Kronos to get All Access to harvest auto-grant AA's and accumulate DBC for future use.
    Well, while All Acess is active when I hire a new mercenary (for whatever reason) I usually want to hire Apprentice, because I am aware that after 30 days I won't be able to use Journeyman.
    Well, if the default is set to Journeyman and I hire it then 30 days later I will start whining about DPG not defaulting to safer choice of Apprentice, will refuse to accept my own responsibility, and will blame everybody on this forum in my own negligence during mercenary hiring process.
    And if the apprentice is hired by mistake - then just let it go and rehire Journeyman. It's a safer choice for DPG.
  6. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

Even better would be for the merc to scale automagically with the account change.
    Wayylon, Shanarias and Tatanka like this.