The Foundation - Bug and pitfalls

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Allayna, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Allayna Augur

Apparently there is a partial recipe for "Crushed Glowing Crystalized Velium". It requires on 4 Glowing Crystalized Velium. There is no way to obtain more Glowing Crystalized Velium and the quest only requires that you obtain 7. Apparently there is a recipe with all 7 that makes a larger stack...

So we're boned for trying to figure out the quests?

Also:

[Fri Jan 17 08:17:18 2020] Crusader Vraket says, 'Crush all the velium until you have four measures of crushed velium. Crush those again until you have two measures of powdered velium. You'll need to do this in a forge with a smithy hammer. Use superb leather padding to help be sure you don't leave sharp edges. If you fail any of these steps, you might remaining parts. Crush them as well using the same method until you have two powders. Do what you wish with the extras, especially if you salvage some of the velium.'

Wut?
  2. Ashian Augur

Somewhat agree with you. I failed the combine on one of my characters. Went back and tried to secure more velium... couldn’t get any more. So I returned to the TS container and tried every combination of velium until it worked (1, 2, 3, 4!). Managed to get through it but it was not easy.

My bigger complaint is actually with the quest step where you acquire the 7 glowing velium fragments. The zone that corresponds with this step is listed as “ALL.” I spent a couple hours desperately clicking around what I felt were the “deepest mining caves” in the expansion. Turns out I wasn’t even in the right zone.
    Allayna likes this.
  3. Starkxx Journeyman

So if you made the combine with 4 glowing crystalized velium & can't get more velium. Then you're screwed and have to restart the quest?

It should have been like Cresta's ear where if you fail the combine, you can reget the quest items. Such as the part in Sathirs Tomb where you run through a spot and reget quest items.
  4. Ngreth Thergn Developer

Yes. I often have a problem figuring out how people will fail to follow instructions.

"Crush all the velium until ..."

I didn't think anyone would fail to follow instructions and only place 4. It's a failing of mine, because I follow instructions, but in the times when I do fail to follow instructions, I blame myself, not the manufacturer of whatever.
    Yes.

Unlike Crestra, Crusader Vraket will not hold your hand.
    You failed to follow the instructions he gave you.
    That does look like a typo. I'll add in the word "have" that I missed.

It is because it is a "Collect" element. Realistically the only element type I can use on that element. Collect elements "function" in any zone, so realistically require the "all" zone.
    Pano, Kuaamil, Dythan and 4 others like this.
  5. Allayna Augur

I posted to help others avoid making the same mistake. Maybe with your all knowing abilities you could inform me why there is a recipe that would use 4 of the QUEST ONLY components if not for that step of the quest.

-Thanks

Beta tester who often works hard to help find AND get bugs fixed quickly.

PS - For those of you who also attempt to find the bugs in recipes etc...

There is no way to regain those quested items. The quest is able to be dropped and restarted though...so there's that.

You’re not wrong though, it is my fault. I’ll just wait for the complete writeup on EQResource....nope, not my play style.
    Aenvar likes this.
  6. Axxius Augur

After all the years working on EQ? You should definitely expect at least half of the players (if not more) to do anything BUT what the instructions say. :D
    Ravanta Suffer and Sokki like this.
  7. Jalelorf Augur

At least you weren't called a jerk like Absor called me in a post.
  8. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

Some people who play EQ are jerks. All people who play EQ and post on the forums are jerks.
    Yinla and Daedly like this.
  9. Fian Augur

Look, I am glad that developers are posting on forums, but the above comment is rude. So, for that matter is the comment after about holding your hand. You could have written something like the following instead:

The quest requires the player to place "all" 7 in the container and combine at once. The quest was intentionally designed that a failed step would require the entire quest to be redone.
    Aenvar likes this.
  10. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

I think it's terribly bad form to express your opinion on another person's rudeness, sir. Take it private messages or your cry journal.
  11. sojero One hit wonder

Why cant we all just get along!

Have someone proofread your stuff if you think it could come across in a rude way, unless you just want to be rude. I have people read mine any time I think someone might take something the wrong way just in case, when at work.

I'll be honest, it is posts like that, that push away the community, especially the ones that take the time to really try and be helpful. I have done less and less testing and reporting over the last couple beta because of posts just like that.

If you done want to show appreciation, I'm not gonna go do your job for you for free, heck it isn't even free, we had to pay for the xpac just to beta test!

Ever played the telephone game where you whisper something to someone and see how it comes out 10 people later? You should always expect people to misinterpret your stuff.
  12. Tucoh Augur

We need to get you a circular desk.

SunDrake likes this.
  13. Xyphen Maximum Augur

Where are these elusive caves? I've clicked and molested every crystal in Ry`gorr and CC to no avail.
  14. svann Augur

Not complaining, but doesnt the fact that someone made the effort to put a wrong-way recipe in the game imply that that someone did expect people to do the wrong thing?
    Yinla, Axxius, Szilent and 1 other person like this.
  15. Ngreth Thergn Developer

The "wrong way" recipe is because I tried something new. A "partial success" (Partial fail?)

If you Fail the first combine, you actually partially succeed. You make two of the target item and get back 4 of the original part.
    Then you can take that 4, combine and get two more target items and thus the intended total amount of four of the target items.(on fail of this second combine they get all 4 start items back so they can try again)

Rude or not, I truly didn't consider people not following instructions and trying 4 first instead of 7
    OldCa61, Sancus, Axxius and 2 others like this.
  16. Xyphen Maximum Augur

Ok, so these people that are making posts about having to re-do the quest if you fail are wrong?
  17. Allayna Augur

If you take 4, and get 2 of the next component..then take those 2 to make the 1 final component, that you need 2 of, you’re starting over.

Side note, quest could have required 8 instead of 7 and none of this partial fail erroneous recipe would have mattered.
    Yinla likes this.
  18. josh Augur

It does not say velium smithy hammer, it says smithy hammer. Which means that right from the beginning, your instructions are unclear. Yes it is rather implied that you need a velium smithy hammer to work with velium, but there is a smithy hammer, and you say smithy hammer

"All" is also not clear. All in no way implies all at once. Crush all the velium together or something along those lines would be more clear in my opinion

In fact, i would say your phrasing suggests that you want me to "crush" them one at a time UNTIL I've done them all. until being the word that makes it so, it implies that i will be repeating something until i am finished.

why would this lead someone to putting 4 in instead of 1 or 7, because we have to try things to figure out what you meant, maybe he means this? maybe he means that? I almost tried what other people tried, thankfully after realizing i needed a velium smithy hammer, i tried 7 again first before trying any other thing i tried.

I did not find this a big deal, i was not bothered by it. but the fact that you are here acting like this isn't your fault, bothers me, it is at least 50% your fault.
    Axxius and Vumad like this.
  19. Cicelee Augur

And now we know why developers dislike posting on these boards in the first place...
    Rasper Helpdesk and Duder like this.
  20. Ashian Augur

It returned 5 to me on the fail, instead of four. I don't know if that was the result of salvage. I then put all 5 back in to the container and hit combine, per the instructions. It didn't work so I went back to try to collect more, only to find out I couldn't. I then went back and tried every combination of 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 until it finally worked and I progressed in the quest.

The confusing part was that it returned 5 and I only needed 4. (Note: it may have been 6 returned, i still have 2 left and im past that stage in the quest).