the darkened sea

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by strongbus, May 16, 2019.

1. strongbus Augur

sorry if this has been brought up before. But in the past the dervs have unlocked(removed progression requirments) for older content as new content came out. Is The darkened sea ever going get this treatment?
  2. MysticOne Augur

I want to know this as well. I left this game during TBM came back this year and EoK is FTP but this is still not unlocked and those are empty zones on my server. Waste.
  3. Brohg Augur

There's no roadblocks or grinds involved. With any degree of determination you can flag through in 1-2 days and then occupy those zones yourself! AND collect Hero's Fort/Vit/Reso points!
    Allayna likes this.
  4. Mehdisin Mahn Augur

are you implying that those zones wouldn't be empty if they were open? except on the rare occasion that seems doubtful.
    jeskola likes this.
  5. Elyssanda Bardbrain

I just molod the progression up to combine dredge in days (less than a week) with my alt bard.. who is 110, about 18000 aa, and a wild mix of group gear from tbm/eok/ros/tbl/gmm/ it's not that hard.. I could have been faster if I'd been playing her more regularly.. but.. she's my alt.. not my main.
  6. Aurastrider Augur

I would love to see the flags removed. My main crew is currently in combine with just the final mission left. Being able to bring in some different alts for situational stuff would be nice but not at the cost of going back to caverns. I don't think DBG could pay me to play in that zone again let alone go back their willingly. The whole "it only takes xyz amount of time" argument is just silly. Forcing players to play in horrible zones just to get to zones they enjoy when this is suppose to be entertainment is bad design especially for an expansion that is over 4 years old. Most of us can do it but don't because we want to actually enjoy our limited playing time not spend it playing in broken zones.
  7. smash Augur

Broken zones? Not broken, did it not long ago and it took 2-3hours.

Would rather cavern than posmoke.
    Elyssanda likes this.
  8. SubEffect An Original Lord of Fizzle and Whiff

I'm glad people don't want to do TDS. All your power sources are belong to me! Leave it locked for those that want to put in the effort. It's terrible that devs actually want you to play through a story and natural progression. Four years isn't that old. Missions are instanced - it's not like you have to fight for open world mobs/events (PoP) to progress. I've taken two duos through and enjoy TDS a lot - leave it the way it is for a while longer.
    Allayna and NameAlreadyInUse like this.
  9. Aurastrider Augur

Pulling in caverns is not broken? Mobs get stuck on walls and then magically warp to another part of the zone and then path back to there spot usually catching you from behind. I have seen fish stuck in the walls of the very top room. It's a horrible zone regardless and not worth returning no matter how fast someone can move through it or playing the "I would rather play in zone x than y". I would rather play in zones I actually enjoy.
  10. Mazame Augur

I see a lot of post asking for things that are not needed. As it been posted flagging for the TDS / TBM is not hard. Having returned my self and having to do all of them it only took a few days.

What get me is when your asking for all of these "unneeded improvements" do you understand what your are asking to give up? Making these changes takes time. Where does that time come from? as the devs have posted before it come at a cost of new content. So what takes a day or two to unlock for you to spend a small amount of time in a zone before you move on asking for the next give me item is realy worth the lose of new content?

Can we get X exp unlocked? -1 zone from new exp
    Can we get server merge? -2 zones from new exp
    Can we get Heroic level 100? - 1 Zone from new exp

Everquest is about playing the game. stop asking for free hand outs the distract from development of new content. Our new content is getting less and less as it is do we really need to waste time adding stuff that people can do on their own?
    If your not willing to spend the time to get flagged then how much time do you plan to send in said zone ? Why do you want the zone unlocked if you don't plan on doing the quest from there? If you plan on doing the quest then why not just do them and get flagged?
  11. MysticOne Augur

The problem with locked out content is you pay for it when you buy the expansion and if you can't do the progression for whatever reason the next expand comes out and you skip to it and then that becomes frustrating and now there nobody is interested in the old one and you stop playing. Now people are are coming back for the 20th Anni, myself as well and we see EoK is FTP but still can't enter TDS and those are empty zones from 2014 October 28.
  12. Smokezz The Bane Crew

They can unlock it. They can leave it locked... the same people keep posting about it. The amount of time that's past, LOL. You guys could have done the progression 50 times by now.
    Allayna likes this.
  13. Mazame Augur

"if you can't do the progression for whatever reason the next expand comes out and you skip to it"
    And by getting new gear / spell / more aa you are then able to return and "do the progression"

If your not able to do the progression in X zone how do you think your going to do in the next zone when it ever harder?

I left after ROF for RL issue. I returned when RoS was coming out. So I am one of these returning players your talking about and I did all of the progression from TDS, TBM, EOK with my best and my merc. I joined a guild and people were willing to help me get the /ach I was after for my heroic and other rewards. So when you say " there nobody is interested in the old one" I dissagree as a found a number of people who came back to help me that enjoyed having a reason to return.

Also until just a few patches ago the PS were a lot simpler to farm in TDS then in ROS so I spent a bit of time there farming and found other doing the same.

My tip to returning player that are struggling is JOIN A GUILD and be Social. That is what EQ is about. about if you say need help and you will be surprised how many are willing to go back to help.
  14. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

TDS progression can be finished in very quickly. I casually did it in 5.5 hours. My comments on this subject are in this thread, from 8 months ago.

There is no reason to unlock TDS or any other zone, especially now that there are /achievements and rewards for doing the content. As far as I know, old tank power sources and a single proc'ing weapon aug are the only two reasons for being in Combine (or any of TDS, really). So if you aren't going for the /ach rewards, which are totally worth it, why are you there? :)

If you are 110, you should not have any trouble bringing new toons through to get them flagged very quickly. And your new toons will even get decent exp if you don't wait until they are 110 to run them through. Take them through at level 100 and you won't even notice the time missing from your otherwise AFK exp grind.

The hate for Caverns is misplaced and mostly comes from making players do things differently than they are used to. All water zones (vertical changes and lack of understanding of water mechanics) are hell for boxers and noobs. But it's actually a great zone.
  15. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

No reason to unlock tds or any other zone? the only reason to do these zones is for hunter achievements and hero points (btw these are dead zones). ok im fine with that if they stop opening up zones to ftp accounts.

Andarriel

ps im sure if ftp people complained enough they would open them up as they tend to listen to ftp people more than people with gold accounts.
  16. Aurastrider Augur

So you are telling me after reading the patch notes throughout the year there isn't already plenty of wasted developer time or time spent on things that are not really all that helpful to the game that comes at the potential cost of new content. The developers also spend a lot of time making changes on the TLP servers to make their population happy so changes like removing flagging on older content for live players should not be viewed as "wasted time" if it provides some QOL improvement for those who just want to play in zones xyz but don't like zones abc needed to get to the zones they enjoy playing in. Forced progression is a horrible design imo and if they are going to continue to do it they should have it hard coded to remove the flagging after so many expansions have been released.

As far as asking for "hand outs" this would only apply to players who did not actually purchase TDS. I purchased nearly a dozen copies myself. I have worked through the progression including every, quest, mission, named, collection, and challenger through combine. Zones like Thuliasaur Island are amazing and had the potential to be one of the all time epic zones if it had only been larger. I would have zero issues working through all of the quests in that zone again on all of my alts because I actually enjoy the zone and the quests but forcing people to repeat bad content just to get to enjoyable content is poor design choice.

This is not a job its entertainment. Can you imagine if this same logic was applied to other forms of entertainment. You must watch all of the Marvel movies including the really bad ones in order to watch the newest ones? Whats that you want to watch the Super Bowl but you didn't watch every game played from both teams. You need to go watch all of those games first otherwise your cable provider wont unlock the game for you to watch. This crap logic only happens in games like this because customers have tolerated it and come to expect it as the norm. Personally I will continue to voice my objection to it in hopes they will stop this horrible forced game play. Let people play the content they enjoy and reject the content they don't like. Not everything the developers produce is amazing.

Shaantara and Elyssanda like this.
  17. Zunnoab Augur

Regarding broken zones didn't they make a patch message the made a bunch of TDS mobs more vulnerable to various CC when the patch did the exact opposite, with topics reporting it getting locked down?

Do I remember incorrectly, and if not did they fix that ever?
  18. Aurastrider Augur

I am not sure but the "broken" part I am referring to in caverns has to do with pulling mobs onto the ramps. I know EQ has had issues in several zones when pulling from a different elevation in terms of the mob taking the logical path towards the puller. In caverns if you pull mobs from one of the pits they will often just get stuck in a wall and agro everything in the pit as they move back and forth in the wall. If you FD or agro wipe a couple minutes later you will see them appear from behind the puller as if they warped to somewhere else in the zone and are returning to their spot. I have seen fish and other mobs "stuck" in walls way out of place that will agro and attack you but you cant damage them and they will essentially be stuck there until a server reset.
  19. SubEffect An Original Lord of Fizzle and Whiff

This and a lot of your other comments are highly subjective. I haven't had any issues reducing my enjoyment of these zones and am thinking about sending another team through just for fun/completion. Thuliasaur, while thematically cool, is probably _my_ least favorite in TDS, with Arx/Dredge being my favorites (and TT is cool with its epic music).

You say this is "broken" and needs to be fixed, but it's not. If you are trying to make an argument for devs fixing things that need attention, then TDS and progression isn't one of them. I don't know what you're doing in the Caverns that isn't working for you, but bad pathing, getting an entire zone worth of mobs, etc.. is a Day One EQ thing, not a Caverns thing (ah.. Mistmoore...) I'd bet the devs don't feel TDS is 'bad content'.
  20. Greymantle Augur

Hmm i allways thought the idea behind these progression servers was to re-live the game from the begining without all the bells and whistles the current game has? Current live servers had to progress through any and all content. Is that not what this server is about?