Not A Bug - The client will now always launch in windowed mode rather than fullscreen

Discussion in 'Resolved' started by Shasti, Jul 20, 2022.

1. Shasti New Member

Please be kind to your players, who actually play in Full Screen Mode! Give us the ability to choose from the launcher. If you actually play in full screen and have your UI actually set up to play in that mode, then this change is a massive headache. Chat windows do not remember their size or position properly, hence launching automatically in windowed mode means that not only do we have a mess of a UI to launch into and have to open the settings window > display tab > to press the "switch to windowed". But even after we do that, every chat window is defaulted to original size and shunted to a random position on the screen. This actually sucks, please change it.
  2. Jumbur Improved Familiar

It would have been nice, if the client would remember from last time, if you were in windowed or fullscreen mode.
    Khat_Nip likes this.
  3. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Or like if the game had a setting for /copylayout or keeping a fullscreen UI.

This is just lame as changes go.
  4. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

It does. It totally sucks to have all your windows just dumped. This is a 3rd rate UI downgraded from a 2nd rate UI.
    Metanis likes this.
  5. lagkills Slain by Fippy while guards stood and watched.

It should be noted you can press ALT+ENTER to switch from window to fullscreen on server or character select, so as long as you remember that before entering the world you should be fine.

The fundamental problem is that UI elements change position when you enter game in windows mode and switching back to full screen won't move them back to what it used to be in fullscreen so we have to readjust each time.
  6. globeadue Lorekeeper

Yes you can, sadly with the 5 times I've launched EQ today, one of them, I forgot, and was so pissed seeing my UI destroyed.
  7. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

When I try that at server select it just changes it back to being windowed. :mad:
  8. Dega Elder

I can live with pressing ALT+ENTER at charselect, was a bit worried about the ui but it worked out fine, however now i have to reset my videomode in fullscreen everytime since it resets to 59 which is a very small thing I know just figured id mention it.
  9. Velisaris_MS Augur

Players should not be expected to remember to use some cheesy workaround just to play the game the way they want to play it. For all the people who are ticked off about it on the forum, there's at least a hundred times that many who never visist the forums to know about the hack and may end up quitting because the game now completely destroys their UI that they may have spent years getting just right.

Unless the devs come out and give us a really good technical reason as to why they made this change, it's just another example of the devs being completely tone deaf about the concerns of players and just blatantly not giving a damn.

Now would be a good time for them to start using some of that "better communication" they're always promising they'll do more of and tell us why the change was made.
    Moege, Bernel and Jumbur like this.
  10. Iven Antonius Bayle

It is Alt+Return not Alt+Enter. Make sure to have backup files from a healthy UI setup. If you accidently enter the world in windowed mode and want to change to fullscreen, immediately camp to the character selection and activate fullscreen there. Then and only then enter the world in fullscreen mode. After that you can switch back and forth without any problems.
  11. Krazie New Member

This is interesting as there is a setting in eqclient.ini for keeping fullscreen (WindowedMode=FALSE) which the game totally ignores and loads in windowed mode anyway...
  12. Elyssanda Bardbrain

+100 Need the option to STAY FS and not windowed.. HOLY CRAYOLY this is a sucky change.
  13. Iven Antonius Bayle

Usefull hint for debugging the windows desktop brightness (gamma)

1. Create a desktop link:
    right click on desktop -> new -> link

2. Enter this path for Windows 10:
    C:\Windows\System32\dccw.exe
    (drive letter can vary and has to be adjusted)

3. click forward and finish

To reset the screen brightness you then only have to double-click (open)
    the link icon and then abort with the escape key.
  14. Samiyam New Member

In all my many years playing this game, this WindowedMode change is the worst thought out "improvement" I've ever seen. It TOTALLY destroys any previously fullscreen setups .... every time we log in! PLEASE undo this ridiculous and unhelpful change.
    Joules_Bianchi and Elyssanda like this.
  15. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

Little pro-tip I've picked up over the years of UI issues.

Create a character on a sever you don't play. Preferably something like Beastlord, which will have all potential UI elements (pet window, spell gems, combat abilities, etc..)

Set your UI there and save it (UI updates don't matter much, simply the layout).

When something bugs your UI layout or you load in before remembering to update your UI, you can copy layout from that character and instantly restore your UI layout.
    Svann2, Bernel and Yinla like this.
  16. Scila Augur

the point being the user base shouldn't have to adapt. Raiders that run late will ultimately rush and forget and have to redo their ui, ppl will get a half second distraction and look away from the screen and have to redo their ui. Having to select another interface is a workaround and most of us have one we use for that, but we shouldn't have to. If there is a serious issue that they had to implement windowed mode, should we be using it at all is the question from a backend perspective? Or was it to accommodate something else? I saw a dev mention that it was implemented for an issue but they didn't have the details. Did this resolve the issue or by going back to fs are we still encountering the problem? I still have questions.
    Bernel likes this.
  17. Klon New Member

This is a big pain, can't figure why it even happened. I ended up having to remap all my buttons and hot bars etc . . . I even tried uninstalling and re-installing the game which did not work.

I can confirm that the work around mentioned above does do the trick. So when you get to the log in server, and then character select it will default to windowed mode. This is what borks the UI.

So just before you log into the game at character select press the ALT & Return Keys. This will put the client back into full screen mode. Then when you log in, your UI should be the same as when you logged off. You will have to do it every time you log out of and back into the game.

Lame, but it works . . .
  18. Gereg New Member

Since the patch, the game always launches into windowed mode. This then causes multiple display issues. Please fix this asap or add an option to turn if off.
  19. Jumbur Improved Familiar

20. Mendel Journeyman

The Fullscreen display option resets when leaving the game, or when doing a /camp server. This started with the most recent patch.
    MiataDriver likes this.