The Burning Lands expansion

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Laronk, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Maedhros High King

Here you guys are complaining about a December release because of Christmas and I am just thrilled to not also have to deal with Thanksgiving like we used to in the November releases.
  2. Cicelee Augur

Over a decade ago, many of us were single in a first job or at school. Nowadays those same people are in their career job, with a family and kids. Christmas break priorities tend to change as well.

And in case you all have forgot... the devs don't care about the self imposed player race many of us rush to do on expansion release. They care about (a) releasing an expansion with as little issues as possible given time constraints, and (b) releasing it so they can realize sales before their fiscal year ends...
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  3. snailish Augur

The important thing is snails being the dominant promotional pitch.

Some of us have waited a long time for that...
    Thraine, Maedhros and IblisTheMage like this.
  4. Evurkvest Augur

I would rather have seen some new original content. These remakes of old stuff is getting old.
    Yinla likes this.
  5. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

My money would be on 19th Decemebr release date.

I just hope the dev team are availble in the following weeks of the expansion release to fix any issues that always arise and we don't go over a month with broken content and raids/missions not available.

I'd much prefer a January release which would allow the devs more time for testing and fixing bugs, a beta over Christmas would be ideal for those who wish and are able to play.
  6. snailish Augur

I think we'd all rather have 100% new.

Some of us would like another TSS level 1 to cap contained leveling expac... what we want isn't realistic with the size of development unfortunately.

We really don't need another continent anyways... having said that there is so many spots to infill and complete (never finished zonelines, dead end halls in old dungeons, etc.) plus the easy way of putting entrances to new places in old ones via objects that only appear at the right era. And there is always more planes/deeper planes/higher planes.

There's also the oddness of maintaining so much barely-used world in the form of under 85 content on live servers. Sure, lots of it could be upgraded/hardcored (permanently) but large chunks of it could be literally rewritten... the continent of Taelesia [spelling] could easily be repopulated with objects/buildings/vegatation and new lore-based invader/refugee whatever NPCs (could even rename the zones) --this would feel like brand new to most players, especially if the entry & order of doing zones was altered (a lot of non raiders barely touched these zones).
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  7. svann Augur

Kind of ironic that people are complaining that they dont have time for new content.
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  8. segap Augur

That should be much less of a concern for a private company. They don't need to worry about having numbers for quarterly reports that impact stock price.
  9. Monkman Augur

In regards to flagging and the headache that can cause for guilds trying to keep a flag line I would love to see a timelock release of raids... it serves the same purpose of staggering or “blocking” raids from being beaten day 1 but doesn’t force guilds to sideline apps or new members during this period that can’t be available 100%

Tier 1 opens day 1
    Tier 2 opens xx weeks later
    Tier 3 opens xx weeks after tier 2
  10. Xeris Augur

I'm mostly impressed they want to release an expansion in December (2 months) and still do beta testing.
  11. IblisTheMage Augur

Lol
  12. IblisTheMage Augur

#firstworldproblems

I worry that “Snailrider” will not be available as title.
    GoneFission, snailish and svann like this.
  13. IblisTheMage Augur

I would assume that a lot has been done already, and that a lot of stuff in past patches is related. #potionbeltgate made me speculate that they are working on UI stuff, and wanted to get rid of legacy code/tech debt.
  14. Sancus Augur

The "issue" with that is, unless the raids are really hard, the guild that wins tier 3 is the guild that logs on right when servers go up. That's what happened in RoF/CotF. The tiers were far more staggered there, but it was the same thing conceptually.

Personally I'd prefer all the raids go live a month after the expansion does. The volume of raids in that case is enough to negate the above advantage I think. I'd also be okay with them all going live the day the expansion is released, but I'd personally rather have time to grind out AA and do progression at a more leisurely pace.
  15. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Hope you all have your Crestra's line done if you want to enjoy the content....
  16. Rickate Augur

That you will have nothing to do the week of Dec 23rd unless you can spend some time on Burning Lands raid flagging is unfortunate but the raid release schedule should be based on societal norms that include travel, loved ones and year end that makes it one of the busiest weeks of the year in Western culture.

There will be 10-14 new raids in the next 12 months, 8-12 Burning Lands raids, a 20th Anniversary raid and a 2019 Hardcore Heritage raid. Whether most of them are released in December or January, whether you have to do the first (couple) and a few times before doing the next one(s) or not and whether you enjoy your first Burning Lands raid victory 1 hour or one month after the expansion goes live it's more or less the same thing.

If you're bored with doing the same RoS raids over and over, don't do them. Hey guys, lets do older raids for achievements and chase items which also means attendance is optional and you can play an alt if you're so inclined because Xorbb will be really easy regardless and maybe get a Bifold and definitely get an Evil Eye illusion. Or hey guys, lets just focus on exploring the expansion for the first couple of weeks and not raid anything until the Burning Lands raids come out.

I realize this concept can be terrifying, what if one week you didn't do the raids that drop the highest stat gear currently in the game. How much drama would there be if Bifold actually dropped and you're not a DKP guild. How many classes would be allowed to bid on Bifold if you are a DKP guild, is there a max bid in your DKP system and so on. Should a guild be disbanded if they raid in any other expansion without having the most recently released raids on lockout?

Yes, for you it's quite possibly for the best to spend dozens of hours raiding the week of Dec 23rd with little to no flagging requirements or other gating mechanism on the Burning Lands raids and someone else in your guild getting an Immortal Mask may only fill you with sadness because your own just became a little less special but some of the other pixels around you are controlled by people with loved ones, travel plans and/or gainful employment who would rather not spend any time during the holidays working on EverQuest raids.
  17. kizant Augur

As software dev myself I think it's best if they keep the current flagging system. It gives them more time to complete the later tiers and it also staggers the number of guilds that run into the inevitable problems. I'd much rather have a week or two where only a couple guilds are stuck and complaining at me for ruining their chances at being #1.
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  18. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Doubt it, we didn't need plane of time-keying to zone into the void in the SoD-expansion. In lcea we had to do a single tds-quest to proceed with EoK-progression though.
    If we need something from old pop for the new expansion, it will probably just be a few hails, that is relevant for the lore...
  19. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

You mean how they are doing what they've done every year for the last 10+ years?

Also the people whining about a December release and Christmas. RoS came out December 12th last year, and didn't have any problems with Christmas; and it included a 5 level increase. TBL will just be content. Guilds will take breaks around Xmas and New Years like normal. There is no bad thing; anyone who does have issues with it have other personal issues or a guild with unreasonable expectations of its members.
  20. So Happy Augur

I think everyone should just be happy and give thanks that there are still expansions coming out after almost 2 decades.