The Burning Lands expansion

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Laronk, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Sancus Augur

I'm excited. I'm definitely wary of fire immune mobs, but the overall theme sounds really interesting. I liked EoK/RoS, but it'll be nice to move on from seeing so many Sarnaks...

And I'm totally cool with them reusing things. EverQuest has a ton of great zones and lore to pull from, and ultimately it means more content for us. I'd rather the devs spend their time on that rather than reinventing the wheel for the sake of it.
  2. Zamiam Augur

Or an Illusion.. I'm just gonna tell you now I wont be buying this expansion unless it has an Illusion in the collectors or premium package preferably 2 illusions .. Stop with the 2mounts and 2 familiars .. give me 2 illusions this time ..pls and ty..
  3. Maedhros High King

I mean what do you think is going to happen?
    "hey guys check out this new continent we just discovered"?

If they do it right they could recycle every single expansion one after another and you still wouldn't have seen the original content since 20 years ago.

If you're expecting some brand spanking shiny new stuff, new lore, new zones, new mobs.. I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment.
  4. Maedhros High King

Hard pass on illusions.
    "I will not be buying this expansion unless they give illusions in the collectors edition"?

You sure have a lot riding on those illusions for someone who doesn't like mounts.
  5. Brohg Augur

revisiting old themes to encounter new events is how a shared reality lives. always new stuff doesn't world-build
    Tucoh and kizant like this.
  6. Beergoggles Elder

I don't think anyone is expecting always new stuff, but some or mostly new stuff isn't unreasonable especially if you consider when was the last expansion that had 100% all new content. Taking that into consideration is it unreasonable to want and ask for a new expansion that isn't recycling an old expansion? Sure in some situations new enemies may arise in old locations but in some of the recent expacs formerly conquered mobs returned even though they had been exterminated in previous expansions. Why is it acceptable in creative content to recycle content at this rate? Would you continue to watch a tv show, movies, or read books that recycled content and characters way too often? New expansions for games should be just that.....new. I for one don't want to keep spending money on a game that keeps giving me old content and expecting me to be satisfied because they are rebranding the old content as new because they raised mob level and updated zone graphics. It's fine to do that for revamped zones for limited time events and such but basing entire expacs on it is just lazy. I don't understand how dbg and its devs can take pride in what they are doing with the level of effort they are putting into the continued development of new content for the game when the content isn't really new.
  7. Archery Lorekeeper

That is just so funny and yet patently true to all of us who have been here since the first couple of Exp Packs. I remember so clearly, reading constantly in this very lounge that by the end of next year, Everquest would be only a memory (2004 and 2005).
    It seems more to me that EQ has the staying power of "Monopoly" (circa 1930`s). Folks we are staring at 20 years of EQ in a few months! What a delightful journey it has been. Many of us are still going back to older content to improve not only Clickies but the basic stats of our main. I still get a kick out of running a new toon thru the mines now and then :)
    Roll on EQ ~ I'm in for the long haul.
  8. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

And the wait continues....

Just give me a date damn it!

Thought of the day - Does this make the 2019 expansion Flooded lands - Planes of Earth and Water if this one is air and fire!
  9. Bigstomp Augur

Entirely underwater, the whole expansion. But muddy waters so you can't see anything.
    Anglesy and Tucoh like this.
  10. IblisTheMage Augur

So, looks like a troll account posting... are you a pro bono troll, or do you have a vested interrest? You come across as way smarter than the position you represent...
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  11. feeltheburn Augur

people moan and groan omg EQ is ending and then a new expac comes along and they will moan about that too. Shrug go find something else to do then.
  12. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Just because the expansion takes place in the elemental planes, doesn't necessarily mean they are just going to lazily copy/paste old pop-zones you know.

None of the zones in CotF(except the void) were recycled copy/paste jobs, even though they were all placed on known continents, for example...:)
    snailish and svann like this.
  13. Monkman Augur

Beta reward is going to be a slug hat....
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Bigstomp like this.
  14. blood & gufts Augur

If you do not like what they serve in a restaurant, you might not go there anymore, maybe try 1 more time and if same, then stop. And put note about what your opinion is.

I guess a lot of people WHO is complaining is like: I want a steak, and when they serve steak they say No, I wanted a beef. Always complaining, never satisfied with what is served.

This is what it is for Everquest.

I Wonder if it comes from Everquest been out so long and people getting old and grumpy.

Maybe the players in Everquest is now like the 2 old grumpy men on the balcony in Muppet show.

It starts to feel like it.

Oh, appoligies to those that is only grumpy but not old or those that is old but not grumpy
    Venau and So Happy like this.
  15. So Happy Augur

Hey... I resemble that remark. :)
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  16. Elskidor Augur

Many figured it was going to be Velious, PoP or Omens so not shocking. It'll be something new and I'm looking forward to what they came up with, which is most likely copy/paste of old zones but that's all EQ has been for awhile now.
  17. Moosetache New Member

I'll just be happy if this ties into the storyline that started in CotF.
  18. Verily Tjark Augur

Why create all new zones and lands when there's hundreds of zones and whole continents that no one ever sets foot in now? It ties in the nostalgia of yesteryear while providing new, current content to explore.

I thought DBG has knocked it out of the park with EoK and RoS as far as content mixed with nostalgia. Going to PoP when you have a PoP-locked TLP server seems like a pretty smart move to bridge the gap between TLP and Live for some TLP'ers.
  19. Flat Toad Elder

LoL...Old timers have faded memories of original Planes...Back when we had no "ach" button and only an arcane method of figuring out what progression step we had forgotten..which locked us out of this n that...and needed to "learn" how to escape zones once we entered...heheh... basically, it wuz "We ain't telling ya NUTTIN!...". Today's pampered brats have no idea why vets still shudder...
    ***But Ima up for one...more...Hedge Run! YEAAAAAH!!!!! ...besides, TT secretly digs me...
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  20. svann Augur

Be kind of funny if first day half the server couldnt enter plane of fire because they never did progression. :p
    Nifty Slacker likes this.