The 100% anti-boxing TLP dream

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Kramzilla, Jan 30, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FranktheBank Augur

People invent all sorts of reasons.
  2. MaestroM Augur

Part of the reason this is so hard to pin down is pretty obvious. Some people who play this game are toxic and engage in a lot of anti-social behavior. If there were rules that could reliably and accurately be enforced regarding eliminating anti-social behavior or encouraging prosocial behavior, fewer people would care about box/bot armies.

The bots are not the problem (KEEP READING YALL I AINT DONE) specifically. The bottERs are the problem. People who write scripts to lock down mobs and prevent other people from having access to the game. People who train you and take your camp. People who "DPS race" your named mob that you've been camping for hours.

However, DPG has stated over and over again that such rules are not on the table for TLPs because they simply do not have the resources to allocate to enforcing those rules in a way that doesn't result in tons of inaccurate results.

So people try and find other ways to solve the problem--reduce the toxic/antisocial players' ability to inflict their damage on the server. One of the most visible tools toxic players use are bots. So people ask for restrictions on bots/boxes.

It's not an invented reason, its an attempt to accomplish a reasonable and worthy goal given the constraints that are on the problem.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem the most effective solution. I don't know what a better solution would be other than go back and teach toxic players to act like they were raised right.

It's a bummer.
  3. FranktheBank Augur

The whole toxicity thing is also blown up.You know what is pretty toxic? Assuming an area of the game in 'yours' for an unlimited amount of time. I know this is EQ so everyone is like "thats how its always been", but its a pretty crazy thing.

Also, any keying/flagging/progression mob, you should expect to be contested. My progression is more important to me than your progression. I don't know everyone's personal life story. What if this dude has 1hr a night to play, outside of raids? He's not gonna wait in 20--40min line for a chance at a mob.

Everyone takes flagging camps personal and that ruins their experience. I have dps raced friends, won some, lost lots, no hard feelings.
    code-zero likes this.
  4. code-zero Augur

This sums up exactly why Darkpaw went to no camps recognized and DPS race wins. It happened pretty solidly back during Ragefire/Lockjaw after attempting to enforce a raid target calendar. It just didn't work
  5. manglered Lorekeeper

once again, if you don't like the boxers/botters aspect of eq than don't play near them norrath is huge and has pickzones available as well as aoc. food for thought: perhaps people box cause they dont have to play with whiners, i know i do =)
  6. Ishbu Augur

If you dont see how the status of a server with a hard 2 box limit would be useful data in figuring out how high the real demand for a single box server would be, then I cant help you.
  7. Magician9001 Augur

We had like a dozen Truebox and like 5 TLPs with no boxing restrictions.
    If they did one with 100% antiboxing it would be the first.
    Nobody would be "forcing" you to play on the ONLY antiboxing server.
    Zrender likes this.
  8. Accendo Guest

Locked due to being derailed and unconstructive.
    Captain Video likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.