The 100% anti-boxing TLP dream

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Kramzilla, Jan 30, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kramzilla New Member

Am I the only one who dreams of having a TLP where nobody is allowed to box at all?

Truebox doesn't do jack to stop people boxing. You still see full armies of people running around. Almost every single group I'm in has someone boxing and nobody is very good at it. When I look at the guild list (no matter what guild I'm in) more than half of the groups out in the world are mains with their boxes.

I'd love to see a server where you're not allowed to box. Like the real classic experience. Where players need each other and a community is created as a result. IDK, I'm just so tired of playing with people who box. Especially, the ones that do it poorly.
  2. Arclyte Augur

You're about to get jumped on by the rabid boxer "powergamers"

Unfortunately EQ is a very old and niche game, and people lose interest in it quickly. What you're really asking for is a new game.
    Appren likes this.
  3. Name2 Augur

I don't love boxing, and 100% prefer to play with a real group. I don't really believe boxing is going anywhere though, even with rules against it, so you kind of have to just accept it for what it is. That's what EQ has become, and it's the go to solution when you're having trouble with LFG in the modern game, "just spin up a couple boxes."

The game shouldn't have evolved in such a way where boxing is a viable or even preferrable playstyle, but here we are. What should be done is to help level the playing field and roll with relaxed truebox rules from the start on these servers. If people are just going to circumvent truebox, and nothing is going to be done about it, it really defeats the purpose.

Sadly, I think a 100% non-boxing server is likely to remain a dream at this point in the game.
  4. manglered Lorekeeper

boxing has been around in some shape or form since "the classic experience" difference being time and technology has allowed more people the ability to do so. like it or not people will find a way to do it. best suggestion for your situation is to find a group of six like minded players and make yourself a pre-made group to explore norrath with. Boxing has been in eq since day one and will always find its way into the game somehow.

best of luck
  5. Tweakfour17 Augur

To get rid of boxing the game would need to be made much much easier to solo or some system where people of vastly different levels can do things together with meaningful rewards for both. As it is once the pug scene dries up you have your boxers and your guild cliques. The interest of the people who pug isn't there long term so people who arent ready to quit or reroll box so they can continue to accomplish things in game.
    PathToEternity likes this.
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

It has been shown many times that it can't be enforced, and people will find ways to get around it. There is no point in banning it completely as it can't be enforced.
  7. Erekos New Member

If you don't mind the perpetual early game there is always the player-run and policed EQ server Pro.ject 99. Check out the ruleset on their site and you can be assured there is none as it's heavily policed against.
  8. Bewts Augur

I’d like to introduce you to Roblox… make your alternate universe for EQ there cuz the days of one person per PC are gone.
  9. Arclyte Augur

Multiboxing in MMOs is the video game equivalent of a crackhead playing 50 bingo cards at once in order to use the winnings to get his fix.

Having a laptop next to you so you can auction stuff or toss a heal/buff OOG is ok. Not a huge game changer. It's when you're paying for 6+ account subscriptions just to get some kind of edge over normal people, you have gone off the deep end and completely lost perspective.
    Zrender likes this.
  10. Mrjon3s Augur

I used to hate boxing and didnt box on phinny. Ended up meeting a group of people and we would 1 group a ton of stuff. It was great till IRL starts catching up and the group fell apart. Game stopped being fun and I quit around DoN. Came back for coirnav and the same thing happened. I ended up rolling on Rizlona and made friends in a guild but I 6 box and love having the freedom to just log in and play.
  11. Hdizzle Augur

These 2 people play the same game! Lol

Also strong server choice MrJon3s ;)
    code-zero likes this.
  12. Manafasto Augur

A lot of people including myself, do. The issue is it will still have them. They did a pretty crappy job monitor Aradune. I doubt they will ever staff well enough again to actually be able to monitor the server correctly.
    Zrender likes this.
  13. ISmellLikeInnySwamp Augur

There are two types of boxers:
    1) They box within a normal group and absolutely stink it up. Their reaction times are terrible. Their re-buffing is awful. Their /randoms seem to win everything.
    2) They keep their box out of group (oog) to support their main. When they're questing, working on their own, etc, then they'll group up with their boxes. This is what I do.

I have my main and then my box follows me around to buff my group. I quite enjoy my way of playing. If my box ever joins my group, I won't roll on the good loot because I'm not going to put a lot of effort into playing two toons optimally. Groups seem to appreciate it.
    Flexin and Duder like this.
  14. Ishbu Augur

I cannot imagine a server with absolutely no boxing surviving and I doubt anyone who has played even halfway to live would disagree.
    Appren likes this.
  15. Xeris Augur

How is anyone going to stop me from having 2 computers?
    Flexin and furrykitty like this.
  16. Captain Video Augur

Since the title of the thread is "TLP dream", I would assume involvement of the dream police.
    Flexin and Duder like this.
  17. error Augur

No box would probably have to be relaxed around GoD or so when the population starts declining or a lot of guilds would start suffering from healer shortages.
  18. Gnomie Denser than most

I admittedly box. But when I started on Coirnav I played a solo rogue until PoP. The problem became more that the population just died so much after that, you either had your pre-made static group, or you boxed, or you didn't get XP / quests done.

A lot of people kind of assume that 6 boxers just 6 box right off the bat, but most folks I know, myself included, just gradually added one computer at a time over the years to combat frustration points. Solo rogue? Here let me add a healer so I can at least get some exp. Well rogue dps is kinda poop solo, so let me add a tank so the rogue can backstab. Haste would be nice, let me add a bard. OMG Underfoot, why is my tank getting one rounded by trash? I need a slow or mez!
    Flexin and Metanis like this.
  19. Xeris Augur

Ah nuts, didn't think dbg would hire the dream police
    Flexin likes this.
  20. Erekos New Member

Yeah DBG won't lift a finger but they'll see it on P99 on either of their servers and put a stop to it. You have to apply on their site for a second family member PC per IP address. Yep, the GM's monitor it strictly yet DB can't?
    Maximillian likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.