The #1 reason people leave a TLP...

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by HoodenShuklak, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Machentoo Augur

I conducted a scientific study. Here are the real and accurate reasons people leave a TLP. Anyone that argues for other reasons has clearly not done the research I have done and has no idea what they are talking about.

#1 -- Krono farming could not keep up with parents' demand for rent on top of weed habit. Kicked out of basement and forced to get a real job: 23%
    #2 -- Realized that P99 was actually far closer to the nostalgia you wanted, and went back. 17%
    #3 -- Ragequit because Daybreak ignored your 17 posts demanding a new server with your extact specifications (but then resubbed a month later): 15%
    #4 -- Got bored because content too easy (but then resubbed a month later): 14%
    #5 -- Got bored because content too hard (but then resubbed a month later): 12%
    #6 -- Never actually played Everquest in the first place, just likes to troll the forums and pretended to quit: 10%
    #7 -- Ragequit over VP key, epic blocks, etc (but then resubbed a month later): 8%
    #8 -- Ragequit because there is still no pvp tlp (but resubbed a month later): 0.9%
    #9 -- Finally realized this game has sucked the life out of us for 17+ years and managed to break the addiction for good. Finally. For real this time. : 0.1%
    Kattria Minx likes this.
  2. FatherDoom New Member

Lulz, with the exception of #1 just trying to get a rise out of people, this is probably *mostly* accurate.
  3. Febb Augur

The #1 reason why people in my guild have stopped playing? Burnout and the realization that they have a life outside of a game.
    Risiko likes this.
  4. FatherDoom New Member

Burnout, I would say, is the #1 reason people stop doing most things they, at one time, found enjoyable.

Unfortunately, burnout is the name of the game for Agnarr right now. If you don't burn yourself out on VP key and Epics, then you will by killing Trak the 17th time or killing PD the 10th time. They are not fun fights, and the gear is... well let's just say Im sure Brad was not the only person doing a ton of coke when Kunark was Itemized. Holy Sh*t. Some of the gear doesn't even make sense.

So when you encounter a situation where you have to keep doing something you don;t much like, for loot that is seriously lackluster, you get SEVERE BURNOUT. I fear for the health of a server that is already seeing burnout and must eventually LOCK CONTENT. It doesn't bode well. Lets just hope there are enough people by the time PoP launches to MAYBE sustain for at least a little while after the lock.
  5. jeskola pheerie

this i believe
  6. Risiko Augur

There is nothing more aggravating than...
    1. trying to collect super rare quest items
    2. from super rare mobs
    3. with super long re-spawn timers
    4. that the class that needs said quest items can not solo said mob
    5. and in some cases can not track said mob because their class does not have tracking yet said super rare mob can spawn in insanely massive zones
    6. All the while having to deal with the fact that hundreds of other players are needing the same super rare quest items
    7. And on top of all of that having to deal with krono farmers that perma-camp said super rare quest items
    8. .... etc
    Honestly, the whole epic quest design in Everquest is probably the worst possible design ever implemented in to a MMORPG... ever. It's a concept that shows just how much the original designers of the game did not truly understand the differences between a table-top pen and paper RPG and a Massively Multiplayer Role Playing Game. This was very, very early in the MMORPG industry, and the design has major flaws.

That all being said, the direction that World of Warcraft took the MMORPG industry was 180 degrees in the other direction. Where Everquest had super rare quest items on super rare mobs with super long spawn timers, World of Warcraft had quest items drop nearly every time on named mobs that respawned in 5 minutes or less (usually with in a minute).

The point is, Everquest was one extreme, and World of Warcraft was the other extreme.

tl;dr version:

The antiquated table-top pen and paper game design of the questing system implemented in the Kunark era of Everquest is a major factor in player burn out in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong. I'm a huge fan of Everquest circa 2001-2002, but it is not because of the questing system. My fandom is based on the game play only.
    Rhodz and Jaxarale01 like this.
  7. Renshu Augur

#1 reason = 38 page Risiko posts
  8. Podiatryst New Member

LOL
  9. Rhodz Augur

Only when they point out how ridiculous it would be putting any real time or effort into the worst designed quests in the industry... Shattered Ego Syndrome.
  10. Arrk Augur

11. Rhodz Augur

12. Accipiter Old Timer

Man, I wish I was in this category.
  13. Rhodz Augur

I still don't buy the addiction thing, lot people use that word to excuse their own bad behavior.
    Habit absolutely, addiction meh.
    If a good mmo would come along I and a crap load of others would be out of here in a second BUT that has not happened yet, and DBG still has a chance to avoid the crash when one does if they only would.
    Going to take a little imagination (that word again) and motivation to pull that one off.
  14. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

The world won't wait for you to read the science behind it. But it's there, whether you buy it or not.
  15. Rhodz Augur

There is apparently nothing the world loves more than an excuse... heh obviously
    Well unless it's a grant to come up with an excuse.

Addictions can only be produced by toxins, habits are only behavioral.
    Cigarette smoking is a habit, nicotine is an addiction and surprisingly easier to break than the habit.
    The ideas do not interchange.
  16. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

Your views remind me of my parents' and grandparents' views, and they were my views for a long time also. But it is an outdated and incorrect definition of addiction, and by ignoring the true nature of addiction, that view often makes the addiction (and it's consequences) worse.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/basics/addiction

EDIT: This also seems relevant:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blo...oes-willpower-play-role-in-addiction-recovery
  17. Rhodz Augur

I well know what these types are paid to produce. Addiction cannot exist without toxicity, I do not know what is so difficult about the mater.
    It is exactly when we get into "psychological addiction" that the fantasy really begins to get idiotic.
    Literally any behavior that produces the right brain chemicals can be excused with the moniker "psychologically or sociologically addictive".
    I've seen real addiction, it aint found in EQ.
  18. Machentoo Augur

Not all addictions are the same. I work with meth addicts in my day job--one of many hats I wear, and not enough to be an expert in addiction, but plenty enough to have personally seen the destructive force it has on their lives and their families'. Whatever grip EQ may hold on peoples' lives, and whether you want to call it an addiction or a habit, it is nothing like that kind of drug addiction (and I did use the term tongue-in-cheek in the post that kicked this discussion off...)

On the other hand, nicotine or even caffeine are still addictive too, even if their grip and the physical impact is much lower than crack or meth. There does seem to be evidence that things like video games or can affect us in similar physical ways, creating chemical reactions and something of a physical dependency. Even if the grip never reaches the point that we'd go out and steal from our neighbors to pay for our eq habit.
    Kattria Minx and Rhodz like this.
  19. Rhodz Augur

Yeah unfortunate enough to see that kind of destruction much less experience it, meth is a hell of thing.
    Another product of WW2 research blessing us still to this day.