The #1 reason people leave a TLP...

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by HoodenShuklak, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Febb Augur

The only thing people will be competing for in Velious in open world is ST key mobs, PoM and shawl items and maybe people finishing up epics. ST key droppers spawn in the raid AoC instances as well so that's not a big deal. Ring event is instanced as well and you can thank Phinigel for beta testing that. Overall Velious is not nearly a cluster as Kunark was.
    PathToEternity likes this.
  2. Darchon_Xegony Augur

The Shawl Crawl should be instanceable. And of course the ability for the guild who monopolizes the open world ST keys and breaks into the zone first to wake a sleeper will cause some salt. But that's about it in Velious.
  3. Velcoro New Member

Here's a view from someone who started on Agnarr about 2 days after it opened (and hadn't played EQ for over a decade) and didn't even make it to Kunark.

1) The toxic population. The constant bickering over camps. The training. The elitist attitudes of the ones who have been playing EQ nonstop for the past decade.

2) The lack of online support. Several in my family played together, but I'm not paying for multiple memberships if they're not policing the harassment and game play disruption, it's not worth the frustration nor my money.

I monitor these forums and Reddit in hopes to see a turnaround, I really felt that if enough people left and revenue dropped, perhaps DBG would take a more active role in weeding out the ones who are ruining for everyone else. It seems nothing much has changed, but I won't forget those first few days of Agnarr, those were a blast.
  4. Raltar Augur

I don't know about that...we have like, 6 active raiding guilds.
  5. Kloven Elder

I certainly had some toxic encounters on Ragefire back during Kunark. Perhaps it wasn't the OP intent to compare which server is toxic now. While Agnarr is in Kunark I can only imagine it has the same toxic play we saw for a time on Ragefire. Don't worry "Agnarrians" the server will grow out of it.
  6. Ryak Augur

I do think that, looking at this and back on my Phinigal Kunark experiences, it's hard not to come to the conclusion that Kunark is just a bad expansion, notable for mostly consisting of open world timesinks (Some Epics, HS key, VP key, Angry Goblin)

It's especially jarring when you contrast it to Gates of Discord/Omens of War like those of us playing on Phinigel are obviously going to do.

The good news is, like several above have said, it gets better in the future expansions.

The bad news is, you won't get to some of those future expansions, though.
  7. The Hated One Augur

Toxic players without a doubt. Had a run in with 1 this weekend. If I was new to EQ I would have just washed my hands of it and found something else to do with my money. That said I may still if it becomes a regular thing. It is like having the worst neighbor and you can't keep them out of your yard. Instancing helps but it isn't everywhere. Sure...this has always been a thing in EQ but it has gotten worse. Immersion is dead. It's all about getting phat loots, fastest exp, getting the named, making pp/krono, being the best, etc etc etc... No new game will change it. The days of 98-2000 are over. These are your new gamers. People who wanted that feeling of old EQ will leave quickly as it simply no longer exists. That just leaves the trolls....and trolls stink.
  8. AlaskaJay Lorekeeper

I am personally not for or against the idea of the "Play Nice Policy" but..

But those people complaining about and point out the level of toxic people on Agnarr as well as in general TLP servers have valid concerns. The 'casual' crowd is a very large percentage of the player base these days even on TLPs and the issue of toxic players affects them most of all.

I have been in Seb with people training. Not for a camp, not because they dislike a guild involved, just because they can. Train every group from Jail to Juggs just for the giggles. My group moved of course and found safer pastures but if someone only has a couple of hours a night that may not be viable. I think there is a big difference between fighting for a camp or DPS racing and training an entire pick's groups just because you know Daybreak wont do anything.

There are other instances of rampant abuse, guilds benefiting from 3rd party programs, etc that are just shrugged off by Daybreak. Which again is their choice on how involved they want to get with that kind of stuff. But if they publicly state there is no "Play Nice Policy" and let those instances slide then those casual players will take notice and act accordingly.

If Daybreak is okay with losing those people that is fine. If the rest of the general population is okay with losing those people that is fine. But if either would like to retain some of that player base then something I do believe needs to be done.
  9. Machentoo Augur

Have you read the current play nice policy? It is available here: https://help.daybreakgames.com/hc/en-us/articles/230629007-Everquest-Rules-of-Conduct

None of the things you brought up are even mentioned in the current PNP (although the 3rd party software use is a violation of the Truebox specific rules, depending on what software you are talking about.) Feel free to take action accordingly, but no sense trying to hold DBG to enforcing something they haven't said they will.
  10. Rovell Elder

I am not a bad egg :(
  11. Dumbledorf Lorekeeper

the reason people leave will be because EQ is not the end all be all of computer gaming. I mean.. lets face it. What's the point of EQ? Get gear, to fight tougher mobs, to get better gear, and for what? Bragging rights? At a certain point, everyone's killed the "impressive" mobs in an expac, and you're just spending 12 hours a week with the same people farming equipment so some guy in your 50 man raid force can get a 4% increase to their damage or mana pool each night. Same people, same fights, same result.

gets stale after a while - nothing TLP can do to change that. people move on from video games, it's not only normal it's healthy for the individuals.
  12. Garanle Elder

Wow, i guess we live in an era where everyone seems to think they have a right to an opinion no matter how uninformed it is.

With out instancing the TLPs would be dead. People are leaving during the Kunark era to do other things because there isn't anything worth doing in Kunark. Most of the raid mobs drop minor upgrades, epics are fun to get and making alts can be interesting. There are a fair amount of people that came over from Phinny on Agnar. After you down the main raid mobs what is there left to do? if they weren't instanced hardly anyone on the server would get to do them (the two bigger guilds would lock them down). In some cases the mobs just aren't worth even doing (looking at DL Dragon).

With out instances, it wouldn't be a competition. Most people wouldn't get to see the raid content, and NOONE is gonna pay to level toons in a game that they can't raid in. If you think it would you are either delusional or can log in at any moment and are in a hardcore guild. Velious and Luclin were more fun on Phinny because there is more to do. Velious opens up some longer term quests that require more time and are less about pure bottle necks. Also there are a lot of raiding options. When you get into Luclin the AA's plus the non ground spawn keys allow the game to be fun. VT is a fun experience, in that the challenge is more about knowing what is coming than some ridiculous bottleneck.

Kunark is fun for a couple weeks then becomes a drag (looking at the ground for a spawn, wizzies and enchanters giving up on the epics). Not to mention on Agnarr the devs/GMs didn't do anything about griefing that a guild was doing till way too late (ground spawn should be fixed to a mob that spawns at random like the rest of them). All in all the Kunark expansion is more about waiting around for nothing while accomplishing nothing than getting something done.
  13. Wolrok Elder

I was driven away by the community more than Kunark's content. Can only put up with so much camp stealing and AFK mage campers before I examine what I'm doing with my free time and start looking at other options.

So now I'm messing around with a live server.
    code-zero likes this.
  14. Goldenscale New Member

All this toxic talk about Agnarr.

Everquest has probably the best community of players hands down out of ALL games online today... STILL. That being said, the last thing that Agnarr has is a bunch of toxic players. Ive had nothing but a great experience on the server thus far. But there's always going to be those keyboard warrior's on forum threads that have something to complain about. It never fails.

Tigoal Bitties <Endless Age>
    MBear and snailish like this.
  15. Ethereal Augur

Ragefire has been basically toxic free since Phini opened. The top guilds squabble amongst themselves over handling of non-instanced content (rotations) but the general server population seems to be actually gaining new players. I know my guild gets new apps almost daily from people who just started playing (or returned) to Ragefire.

We have 8 guilds who are EP flagged at the very least, PoTime/LDoN instanced content, GoD coming out soon, and the ability to box without having to buy another computer.

Almost all non-EP targets (including older expansion content) is up 24x7 because the guilds currently playing have enough on their plates.

I would agree what 'kills' TLPs is Classic/Kunark. There just is nothing to do in those eras except what literaelly everyone else is trying to do. Plane of Hate/Plane of Fear every 4 hours, Epic camps, crappy/boring raid encounters (not even events), and zero AAs.

However, I would also agree, that what kills TLPs is opening new TLPs (especially ones like Agnarr which will probably die out once POP hits, and more than likely take a chunk of the remaining EQ population with it).
  16. Ethereal Augur

17. Kattria Minx Augur

Noooooooo :( I *also* said: " I still miss our guildmates that left for Phinny. :( So I agree that while a lot of the trolls left for Phinny, a lot of good folks left too." I count you in that group, Rovell!!
    Rovell likes this.
  18. Tachyon Augur

Exc
    Exactly!

Loved the game since day one and have played many more years than I'd like to admit (17) but once you know it all ten times over it's like playing Mahjong. Just a way to mark time, and that's no way to go through life. Eventually you move on to a new challenge. It may not even be an online game.

Relish your memories of Norrath and embrace what comes next!!
  19. jeskola pheerie

Wrong. That is number 3 at best, behind:
    - quickly bored because eq doesn't give you the pleasure it did when you were young 18 years ago
    - afraid/don't have time or desire to learn content beyond what you played 14 to 18 years ago

You are just shortchanging yourself in these scenarios. If you are a fan of the game Everquest and world of Norrath, there is a lot of fun and exploration ahead.
  20. HoodenShuklak Augur