That crunching soud

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by jaybee7090, Mar 20, 2018.

1. jaybee7090 New Member

Is there any way to disable this sound when you're getting hit real hard?
  2. moogs Augur

Short answer: Yes.
  3. moogs Augur

Long answer:

Find the sound that you hate in EverQuest\sounds. You just need to know the file name for later, but changing that file won't do you any good.

You need to use a tool called S3D Spy - https://sourceforge.net/projects/**********/files/OpenZone/S3DSpy 1.2/ - to modify the contents in the snd**.pfs packages in the main EverQuest directory. Make a copy of the individual sound file, edit the audio volume level to 0% or so using a tool such as Audacity, rename the original file to something like myhatedsound.wav.backup and then import your modified audio file which needs to use the original file name. Restart EQ to experience the effect.

Make sure that you make backups because the patcher will find the difference and revert it back to the original file. You can buy some time and peace of mind by making a second EQ shortcut with a certain parameter (Is it -patchme ? I forget.) After each game update you will need to manually replace the .pfs file with your modified version before you play.

Edit: Really lame that DBG is cool with P99 now but still censors any mention of it, thereby ruining the above link. Anyway, Google.
    IblisTheMage and Quatr like this.
  4. moogs Augur

For the second EQ shortcut which you can use to skip the file check when there are no game updates (mine is named EQ-bypass-launcher), my shortcut target reads:

C:\EverQuest\eqgame.exe patchme
  5. IblisTheMage Augur

This is awesome, you should make a wiki article, Moogs :)
  6. moogs Augur

I actually found this info on the forums from a few years ago and tested it last week. I was letting my pets kill some stuff semi-afk and the constant ka-ching! was drowning out YouTube. I wanted to hear when my character was being attacked, but not the coin sound nor the bag sound from auto-looting. Anyway, it works and I hope it helps some people.
  7. IblisTheMage Augur

Why aren’t there any mods that make EQ sound like The Minions?