Thanks to "A Burden of Truth" mission - Degmar

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Necromonious, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Necromonious Augur

...for convincing me to take a break from EQ this weekend. Every once in a while you stumble upon a quest that is so poorly designed and just frustratingly ridiculous, it reminds me of how elementary of a game EQ can be.

Why do those mobs have 90584093845093485039457 hp?

Where is the challenge of falling asleep at your keyboard trying to kill them one by one as they attack an invincible NPC?

Why do you design it so that if you die at the end because you didn't know the boss has infinite aggro range, that you can't zone back in without chain dying and have to restart?

EQ is dumb, I think I'll go outside this weekend. Thanks for the mission, Satan
    Dramatime likes this.
  2. Romance Augur

"Burden of the Past"

Grelleth 1.0 was worse
  3. Nenake Elder

game is too hard :(
  4. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I always read Alakazam and sometimes EQResource before doing missions. It comes from being a Boy Scout and the always being prepared thing.
  5. Necromonious Augur

oh yeah, that. had the item in my mind for some reason
  6. Crystilla Augur

Err you can zone back into this mission if you die. Not always the easiest but the boss is tethered so there are multiple ways around dying when you zone in.
  7. Necromonious Augur

I'd love to explore those multiple ways but unfortunately my corpse was on the ground again before my screen finished loading after saying "go", so no exploring for me
  8. Necromonious Augur

This is also mostly my fault for using pet tank. Part of the slowdown for me in the middle is having to take 4 min timeouts due to merc clerics deciding they dont want to stand near the pillar and wandering over to stand next to pet, taking aggro from 2 mobs and getting chomped. Pets + cleric mercs do not make good bedfellows most days
  9. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Woo for complaining about having difficulty pet-cheese-moloing a group mission?

It's not exactly great design (none of the TDS progression stuff is), but really?
  10. Necromonious Augur

The mission is already cheese. You can pull the mobs one at a time. And you have literally forever to do it, because they're swinging at what may as well be a frigging wall. The only challenge is the tedium, to dull your brain by making you repeat the same 3 dps hotkeys for an hour and then one mistake at the end and you have to restart the tedium again. I like my challenge with minimal tedium, but I imagine I picked the wrong game for that
  11. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

The wrong expansion, at least.
  12. silku Augur

I dunno, we've never failed that mission. It didn't seem very hard to us as we went through (nor when we repeated it 8 or 9 times for others/chests.)

The hardest part of that mission to me was hailing 9 million times.
  13. Necromonious Augur

I can't do it. Er, can't duo it. Every time towards the end 2-3 of the captain's guards stop swinging their weapons at the brick wall (Tunare), and instead charge straight at my cleric merc, as if her healing was slowly building aggro on them or something. Pet can't peel them before they gib her and that's all she wrote. And after I die I get aggro from captain the second I zone in, and 2-3 guards are no longer swinging at Tunare. And due to their absolutely absurd hp (even by TDS standards), I can't tank 2 for the duration it takes to kill one. So I die upon zone in.

I need to recruit help but unfortunately on fv only raiders do progression. Everyone else does endless gribble HA's and buys their TDS group gear from bazaar :(
  14. Ravengloome Augur

Yes. Healing does generate aggro. Suspend or swap your merc out throughout the process.

Don't you have a mage you box with your necro? Blur the last 2 with Comp of Necessity. (I thought you said something to that effect in a different thread, I might be misremembering)

Or zone in, Hit Embalmers, Whisperwind, and Death's Effigy off in a corner somewhere and reset?
  15. Kongfoo Elder

It's funny that people are complaining about missions being hard when they are the easiest they've ever been. They are just boring trash clears for the most part. I miss the mini-raid type of group missions.
  16. Uuvin Augur

at the end, the named and the other mobs all tether. but the name tethers first. the other trash has a longer tether line. If you are very careful you can back up into the room, pull the bunch and have boss tether. have 3 or even 4 of the trash tether and then kill 1or 2 of the trash. then repeat it. and end up with boss single. I don't know what classes you have available, but in a situation like that you can keep one toon very far back and safe so they can drag and rez if needed. only jump in once everything is set up right.
  17. Grummy_NB Augur

in years past, If you used a tether or zone geometry to your advantage, they would punish you. Now they decide that isn't how they wanted that done, they will change the tether.

yes, fighting 5+ mobs at once is a pain and most cc folks are sick of helping people.
  18. Ravengloome Augur

What?
  19. Zehn Lorekeeper

wow .. I have the time trial done for this one ..... guess I keep getting the "easy" version