Thanks for keeping a 21 year old game running

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Corwyhn Lionheart, Apr 16, 2020.

1. dreadlord Augur

Ok, let's run with the gym analogy
    I spend something over £100 (UKP) per month for my accounts - or £1,200 a year.
    For that, if I preferred, I could join a pretty swanky gym.
    Would I expect to get to the gym, having taken time off work etc, to find it shut with no explanation? And discover I couldn't go the next day either; or attend the huge event I'd been looking forward to and had arranged to meet a load of mates to participate in?
    Of course not
    I'd be expecting lots of apologies and offers of restitution if that happened. And I would get them - no doubt. Why is EQ different?
  2. feeltheburn Augur

its not that hard really for people who are good at what they do and trained in what they do.....such is not what is going on here ...nor are the people skills or communication and preparation.
  3. Dazzler Twodirks Lorekeeper

Sounds like someone is ready for EQ3...
  4. Vicus Augur

This statement literally can be paste for almost every major update after Mangler and Selos was released. Everything after that has not been good ideas. Raid Delay system, Overseer, Miragul with Truebox, Escape changes, Sk Dot changes, Mount changes, deciding that server merges are more important then releasing new TLP's while everyone is home, (sure others could fill in more).
    DPG needs some Office Linebacker Tate introduced to the team to things back on track. [IMG]
  5. minimind The Village Idiot

I like you/this post. You seem to have real world experience with humans and value translating that experience to your online presence.

One thing I would add: Yelling, insulting, degrading, and threatening people doesn't actually help them work nor does it engender any amount of desire to work harder. Treat people well and they will want to treat you well.
    ArtremasEQ likes this.
  6. minimind The Village Idiot

I'm sure someone just overlooked that "upgrade game engine" button in the bottom left corner. Next to the Nerf Necros and EASY Buttons.
    enclee likes this.
  7. Xyphen Maximum Augur

I would never dare tell/remind anyone remotely close to my pay check this, but as a software developer, right now I am being paid well-above 6 figures to:
    1. Get more sleep
    2. Not have to commute to/from an office
    3. Not have to put clothes on
    4. Not have to walk down the street to get food
    5. Code at my own leisure
    6. Do literally the same thing I did before on the same hardware and tools as before (hint: we use laptops these days)
    Save the sympathy for the other occupations that are actually disadvantaged and make considerably less than an average software engineer. Also, stop asserting that every server failure involves a database.
    Chopin.Xegony and enclee like this.
  8. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

No.
  9. Vicus Augur

Cool, you understand that standard DPG reply message. "Can we have..." Nope.