Thank you for this RoF feature

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Raymond, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Raymond Lorekeeper

Giving a large amount of XP for finishing a RoF zone partisan task arc is one of the best design decisions I have seen in 13 years playing.

Tasks/quests that give a huge reward the first time you complete them should be a standard feature from now on.

I am midway to 98 and did not have to grind xp mobs. But, the grind is still there for people who prefer that. Choice is great.

Thank you.
    Diptera, Mary Poppins, Ellyra and 4 others like this.
  2. Augur Developer

Glad to hear you enjoyed it! I'm a big fan of it personally as well, and totally agree that the more (fun) choices we give players, the better.
  3. Rainbowdash Augur

Yes, I was quite pleased with the reward selections, from augs to large xp and AAs, for the achievements for this expac. The rewards being something I thought was severely lacking from the achievements of previous expacs.

Did a great job with it for RoF though, thanks =D Although I did find it ironic that while you guys added a ton of great rewards to almost every achievement in the expac, there's no reward at all for RoF's Master achievement (Unless it was added since last time I checked). An achievement that, in the past, was generally one of the very few that had any reward at all. Is this maybe a future addition or...? :p
  4. Nenton Augur

There are a couple of problems with this new system though. It seems that the "experience only" portion of a reward can't apply to AA's and if you have AA experience 100% on, it won't automatically apply the "experience only" portion to your level experience bar. What this means is that people who grinded to 100 first have to toggle their AA experience off when accepting the dual exp/AA rewards to get that "experience only" portion.

Admittedly this will be moot when the level 100 bar fills but then the second side effect of this system is that rewards that only have experience and not static AA amounts (i.e. mercenary tasks) cannot be applied to AA experience. Mercenary task experience has been abysmally low since HoT was nerfed anyway but it's still a little odd that you get zero experience in your AA bar for accepting an experience reward.
  5. Hatsee Augur

It is broken though, or at least seems that way.

I've done a few and watched it give me a fraction of the exp it said it would and give me the correct amount of aa's. Seems like it's trying to take into account where the AA slider is at but then not giving you the correct aa's for it.

Like Grelleth Mercenary last night, or this morning. 0% real exp with the slider at 70% to aa's, and the aa's it gave was only the 10 listed. Not a big deal losing out on that whole 3% I should have gotten, but missing out on most of the Partisan of Shard's Landing bonus was actually frustrating.
  6. Chandrok Augur

The experience rewards on the quests and achievements are intentionally not adding to AA experience. There are separate AA point rewards granted at the same time as the experience rewards.
  7. Hatsee Augur

Yes, but it screws you out of the exp if you have the slider on a different setting...
  8. Nenton Augur

Yeah, it needs to auto-allocate the normal experience to the level bar regardless of the AA slider. Currently it sends your experience into the ether.

And for those quests that don't have the dual AA/level exp? No possible experience reward if you're max level 100 since it won't apply to AA? Doesn't seem right.
  9. Chandrok Augur

Hmm, that's a strange problem. It shouldn't be lost regardless of where the AA slider is. We'll look into what might be causing this.
  10. Hatsee Augur

Thanks, appreciate it.
  11. Tordail Elder

I agree with the OP. I'm not someone who can physically deal with grinding for a long period of time and I wasn't looking forward to slogging through another five levels. Now, I am about 20% into 97 (grind-free!) and am happy with my progress (which is much faster than in recent memory). Getting a large XP reward for completing a partisan arc, along with nice AA and XP rewards for individual quests, was a very nice surprise and something that makes leveling feel much less "grindy." Well done!
  12. Tegila Augur

good. ive been bug reporting this ever since i discovered it. if yo dont wanna give aa, fine, but give me the stupid regular at least. ive lost a good dozen rewards bc i had all my kill xp going to aa
  13. Coruth Augur

I don't get this honestly.

Person a, quests first as leveling gets Level XP + AAs.

Person b, levels then does quests gets only AAs.

Doesn't seem fair 2 people doing same quest getting vastly different amounts of xp.

It would make sense if the quests were skippable mind you, but someone who levels is going to have to go back and do most of these quests anyway for portals
  14. Izcurly Augur

Not so. Attuning yourself to the portals does NOT require working up the quest line. I did all the portals long before I got to the quest that dealt with portals. And when I did get there, those steps were automagically marked done.
  15. Cloudia Augur

You dropped a stitch there Izcurly. Point people are trying to make is that they are NOT getting XP awarded as they specify, or in any other manner. That you can skip ahead or hold off task arcs is all on you.
    I am boxing, main toon being a lot more active has lots of AA and so is set to level up. Chanter box is a secondary character, she needs level for spells but in order to do so I slacked badly on AA. So now she is set mostly to AA until she has caught up and filled in the needed things like cs/ca/dd to survive.

We are both doing the same task arc, I get a nice chunk of xp for the tasks toward leveling, but the chanter who is trying to fill in AA to catch up falls even further back because her slider is set for AA. she doesn't get AA for completion nor is her XP bar moving up.
  16. Nenton Augur

To you and Tegila, why are you accepting these rewards with AA experience on after the first one gave you nothing? Until they fix this, before accepting a reward, "/alt off", accept reward, "alt on". I know it's a bug but there's no reason to throw experience away when it's workaroundable.
    Straahdx likes this.
  17. Izcurly Augur

No, I got that the thread is mostly about a bug that only affects people who have the xp slider not set for full experience.

However, I was responding specifically to the person who appeared to be disagreeing with the intended reward process, and then using an incorrect claim (many quests required to use portals) as part of their argument. The fact is the portals are very easy to activate, with no prerequisite quests.
  18. Sukrasisx New Member

I apparently missed the patch notes saying there was something different about how tasks award XP in RoF. And apparently the Customer Support folks missed it also.

I've got a ticket open in which I complained about the fact that finishing a mercenary task in Shard's Landing seems to give ZERO experience. The ticket was originally closed as "we checked and you did get your reward" but I figured they meant the achievement flag, so I went back and double-checked: I repeated a kill task and watched my bars as I killed the last mob. With 50% reg/AA I saw the same 5% AA that I'd been getting on every other kill, nothing extra. And accepting the quest reward ("Experience") did not move either bar. Now sure, maybe one task isn't enough to move my level 96 bar by even 1% regular xp, but I expected to see some AA for the task, like more than I was getting per kill. Am I to gather from this thread that these tasks are BY DESIGN giving no AA? (In which case I cannot tell for sure whether they are giving any regular xp and it's just that it's under 1% for the task.)
  19. A-Quad Augur

I ran into this last night after completing the Kael partisan. Hoping my /petition ends up getting me the experience I'm due.
  20. Fenthen aka Rath

Tasks are definitely the way to go in RoF.