Thank you Daybreak (RoS information)

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Fanra, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Thrillho Augur

I do like a good analogy :).

The ridiculousness of it was the extrapolation. We don't have to go back to Tier 1 EoK gear, or TBM before that, or TDS before that. This is one experiment, and it's being extrapolated to content that is 3 years old before it's even launched. My analogy was about carrying a book, and through ridiculousness I extrapolated it to carrying a school. That's not what would happen, and we're not being asked to go back to 3 year old content.

As for "if it works" - what if it actually does? What if it's a resounding success, and we have 90% of the people actually going through the content of EoK, instead of the seemingly 50%? What if we actually have people complete raid content? What if we have people do current content as its released because they see the value in completing it? Wouldn't that be inspiring for the devs? Wouldn't you want your content to be enjoyed? I wouldn't want to spend years working on something only to have a portion of my target market appreciate it. You can't please everyone. This is an experiment. If it doesn't work, it will be modified. Everything in the game has gone through this.
  2. segap Augur

If you make the content fun, people will do it. If people aren't doing it, they should look at why they're not doing it rather than finding ways to force feed it to people. If their metrics are showing a lack of completion, they should be more introspective rather than vindictive. Or perhaps look at spending their dev time doing more of the type of content that the metrics show people enjoying and doing rather than things that the data shows people don't care much for.

Back to analogies... Let's say I'm a baker. I really like asparagus and decide that I'm going to make asparagus donuts. When I notice that no one buys my pride and joy, my reaction is to stop making maple bars, cinnamon rolls, glazed, jelly filled, etc and double down on asparagus. If that's all I offer, surely everyone will suddenly buy and appreciate them. Just how successful will I be?
  3. dinozo_povar Journeyman

Scorched Woods and Droga were pretty horrible art-wise.
    Not looking forward to helping folks go back through all that for another year.
    Especially Scorched, with the abysmal wasp pathing and opposing factions.
    Rhayzer TheTrickster likes this.
  4. Zhaunil_AB Augur

Then we'll see this practice continued and the ridiculousness won't be as ridiculous anymore but the norm, as he fears?
    In Germany, we say "Wehret der Anfaenge" - "beware the beginnings". And we know what we speak about ;)

This should have been continued with "yet".
    Many things, good AND bad, started with "one experiment".

While with just ONE expansion it's not AS big a deal all in all (still a nuisance though the older RoS becomes while it's gear remaining valid), as time goes on this MIGHT result in something VERY undesirable IF continued, especially if continued on and on and on.

meh...
    I know i would not be playing EQ now, much less raiding it, if i would've HAD to go back and do all - or really just some of - the stuff i had missed in my 8years of absence.
    As it was, i "just" had to catch up on levels, AAs and a bit of (then-current group) gear to be able to join the raiding and start my trial.
    While we DID some (then-"old" ) Arx events, and i got the feeling one or two were done exclusively for my (gear) benefit, i feel the guild would have resented HAVING to do the WHOLE expansion's raiding "for me" again, just so i could join them in TBM.
    And yes i assume and extrapolate too when i come to the conclusion that my guild would resent HAVING to go back to EoK for a whole year longer when we've farmed it so extensively.
    Achievements might be done again every now and then perhaps, but that is different from HAVING to do it for new apps etc, AND it can be done at any time, while having to do it for apps WILL hold our progress up and take away from farming time.