Test Update 10/9/2018 - Patch Notes and Discussions

Discussion in 'Test Update Notes and Bug Roundup' started by EQ Dev, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Ngreth Thergn Developer

Discussion does not necessarily mean with the devs, though some of us do pipe in.

I personally have been heads down working on items and content (quests/missions/raids)
    I have no information on the spell or AA questions/comments that are being asked/made. I have not been privy to them. To comment without any information would be irresponsible.

I can tell you that the dev responsible does read these forums and does consider what players say, but rarely responds, especially when players become insulting, as players have here. To respond, as I shouldn't be, when players are being insulting encourages the bad behavior.
    Andarriel, Maedhros, menown and 7 others like this.
  2. Eggolas Augur

What? No reward for bad behavior reeking of entitlement?

So confused.
    Mintalie likes this.
  3. Archonia New Member

Well, then. I stand humbled that you responded. I wov nevermore to be insulting, although I cannot promise I'll never again be tongue in cheek sardonic (life is long, lest we forget!)

Perhaps ... although I can well envision the slippery slope to which you allude, perhaps the developer in question could be persuaded to chime in? What is most galling of all is the feeling of having the game altered by someone who doesn't play it; game code altered by someone who does not understand the very code they are changing. (See: Chesterton's fence.)

Be assured, I am not, nor could be, earnestly claiming the developer in question isn't playing the game, nor that they aren't very much informed in their reasoning.

But when that is how it feels ... a little bit of "and here's the thinking behind it" would go a very long way.

Thank you for responding. I'm trying very hard to validate your decision to do so.
    Ibadan Kun'Tirel likes this.
  4. Tallie Elder

With regard to the changes to ranger spells, this seems more like a change that should be implemented with the new expansion so we can acquire spells accordingly, not tacked on to the end of the current expansion.
    Schadenfreude likes this.
  5. Derd Augur

If said developer tells you why, would you accept it? Nope almost never happens
  6. Cleaver Augur

He doesn't respond to polite simple questions in PMs either so lets not make the excuse that he doesn't reply because people cannot act like adults here.

A community who feels ignored by a dev who is responsible for so much is never a good thing.
    Barton and Brohg like this.
  7. Felicite Augur

Regarding this change in the current Test patch:

"Necromancer - Scent of Terris has been renamed Scent of Thule and the ability line has been changed to trigger Death's Malaise, your Scent of Terris spell, and the highest rank of your Scent of Gloom line of spells on your target."

The current Necromancer AA ability "Scent of Thule" includes Magic and Corruption Resist debuffs. The new one "Scent of Thule" as currently on Test has no Magic and Corruption (and reduced Fire) Resist debuff components.

Is this intentional and should I expect it to remain that way when this AA change goes to Live?
    Archonia likes this.
  8. Tucoh Augur

It's probably better that most devs don't respond to the player base, because few of them have the kind of thick skin Ngreth has to deal with passionate players and how shortsighted and manipulative we can be :)

With regard to the patch, I appreciate the spell/AA consolidation and some of the efficiency improvements, but this change:
    Is terrible unless they change the Scent of Terris spell to
    Instead of
    And I don't even have a necromancer.

The elemental union nerf sucks, but it'd be a lot easier to swallow if I knew my mage was going to get a new magic based spell that would make magic spells competitive with the current spear/chaotic inferno spam I do.

Also, thanks for
    But Heroic Rage still doesn't stack with Cry Carnage right? So this change, as welcome as it is, really just removes one line from my pre and post Heroic Blade macro that blocks and unblocks group buffs.
    Felicite likes this.
  9. Gnomeland Augur

This makes more sense, as even the original numbers are way off.

Why did it jump from 50% to 110%? Sounds more like a person wrote the description in two ways and they weren't consistent, since 110% can be read as both 10% more than 100%, or literally 110% more.
  10. Febb Augur

This has been going on for years, he doesn't even respond during beta.
    Barton and Warpeace like this.
  11. Archonia New Member

You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means. Look, as someone else so accurately and eloquently pointed out, we are passionate about the game, to the point of being unreasonable. I daresay that is as it should be. If the product weren't compelling, then Daybreak would be having different problems than players who are shouting things at the top of their lungs when they feel as though they have been, or are about to be, wronged.

Acceptance isn't really a choice, in this context. (I mean, sure, accept and keep playing, or don't accept and quit playing, but that's a little stark and a little harsh, don't you think? Perhaps we've become so polarised as to think it's an unspeakable sin to "reach across the isle", but I'm not really into this us versus them kind of groupthink) Understanding, more so. I put it to you that if someone could explain to me why this was happening, in a way that I understood, I might have an easier time of it.

The thing, which is obvious enough that I'll warrant you've guessed it already, is that I very much question whether it _can_ be explained in a way that makes sense. Because I think the change that is proposed -- and, presumably, unless we scream from the rooftops, will just roll right on to Live and be deployed -- is wrong, and it has (at least to my pretty dumb peepers) every telltale aspect of someone not knowing what they are doing and, perhaps even, not knowing why they are doing it.

I'm not sure I answered your question, so let me try to summarise. I'm not looking to accept, as no such choice was ever in the offering, I'm looking to understand. If I can't be made to understand why this makes sense, I'll consider the person that has decided to make this change anyway a sign of things to come, and then, yes, I will make the choice not to play. But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe this is a change for the better, even if it looks like anything but. If I could be made to understand why this change is good and why I should want it, then, perhaps, I'd make a different choice.

Also, thanks for not assuming anything a priori about my reaction. It means a lot to me that you would extend such confidence and good faith.
    Felicite and Ibadan Kun'Tirel like this.
  12. Goldenpine New Member

Fix Druid "remote" line of nuke/TOT heal plzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.. they don't heal the target of target anymore.
  13. Angahran Augur

What is the point of even having a thread titled "Patch Notes and Discussions" when there is no discussion ?

Just call it 'Patch notes' and we will know exactly what it is.
    A simple list of what is being changed.
    No discussion, no feedback.
  14. Barton The Mischievous

Ok i'll try and not be insulting in any way we are not just players sorry but to me that demeans what we really are. We are paying customers your paying customers. In any of my many Customer Service jobs If I refused to reply and have discourse with my customers just because some -not all of them- just because a few were insulting I would have been fired. It sounds like not talking because of some insults imo is basically a cop out to not work with the customers.
  15. Derd Augur

Devs are not customer service reps.
  16. kizant Augur

It's just a feedback thread to see if we can point out any glaring flaws they might have missed. Don't expect a conversation.
    menown likes this.
  17. Barton The Mischievous

Funny they act in that capacity a lot and every employee is a customer rep if they interact with customers
    Daedly likes this.
  18. Warpeace Augur

No but they can answer basic questions regarding direction and intent.

They do need a way to communicate even if someone needs to filter it first or after the fact. Feedback and understanding are important to the longevity of the game. Some Developers are just not good with public communication and have no desire to engage in it, period.
  19. Wulfhere Augur

Yep and that's the problem. It seems like a good idea to consolidate AA lines with matching spell lines to remove the redundancies. But without considering the disparity between them, classes suffer a nerf that may never be undone. Classes like druid, mage, shaman, enchanter, and necro, have things to complain about directly.

On the good side, the end result is to give classes activated AA buttons casting spells from their spell books, while saving an actual spell gem. This is a net gain for the players UI because there are far more hot bars and buttons then spell gems. You can see how the entirety of activated abilities is being consolidated into one system, slowly but surely. The disparity between old and obsolete spells replacing more powerful AA abilities, effectively nerfs, needs more consideration though.
    Tucoh likes this.
  20. Wulfhere Augur

Keep in mind that EQ has many formulae that have two variables: "chance to perform ability" and "INCREASE chance to perform ability" (as in this case). It's reasonable for the second variable to exceed 100%. If in the final analysis, the double riposte rate remains the same then (good) the Devs have also changed (simplified) the formula to match. If on the other hand, we've gone from double riposting 100% of the time in August to only 30% of the time since the stealth September patch, then well that's bad.