Fixed Test Server - Unable to hire mercenary after character copy

Discussion in 'Resolved' started by Trenbalax, Jul 17, 2022.

1. Trenbalax New Member

Submitted this by means of a ticket but the resolution was to post here.

I copied my 65 SHD from AB > Test. If I attempt to hire a mercenary (any mercenary at that) I get the message "You have the maximum number of mercenaries, you must dismiss one first". However I don't have any (and didn't at the time the character was copied). If I check the Mercenary window I can see it is empty. If I attempt to Dismiss my (non-existent) mercenary it tells me "You do not currently have a mercenary". If I attempt to Unsuspend it, it tells me "I need a Daybreak all access account".

When I login on the character I see this message:
    [IMG]

I did not have an active mercenary at the time I did the /testcopy. I subsequently deleted the SHD on test and re-copied from AB with an active mercenary but the same behaviour persists.

I can hire a mercenary without issue on the live server (AB) on the same character, so this appears to be a result of copying to the test server.
  2. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

This is an ongoing issue with /copylayout and selecting the checkbox for copy hot buttons.
    The /copylayout will stealth copy the merc swap hotkeys of the copied character, which breaks the copying character's merc status. In order to even hire a merc I routinely have to delete all the hotkeys the game made when I chose to set merc stances by hotkey on the previous character. Even after that, the game "believes" the character still HAS those mercs and I have to dismiss the suspended, non--existent mercs in order to even be able to hire mercs.

The root issue is these game created auto swap hotkeys being copied at all on a /copylayout.

Mercenary stance hotkeys should NOT be targeted by /copylayout, but are.
  3. Trenbalax New Member

Is there any actual solution though? The GM that replied on my ticket suggested I delete:

defaults.ini
    eqclient.ini
    eqgame.exe
    EQGfx_Dx8.dll
    EQGraphicsDX9.dll
    eqlsClient.ini
    eqmain.dll

I also nuked all of the .ini files that related to the character (which should have removed the hotkeys). I still can't unsummon the phantom mercenary though as I get the message that "I need a Daybreak all access account" (which I have). Frustrating!
    Laurenjs and Korwiin like this.
  4. Ragnok New Member

Having this issue on live after I changed servers with my warrior. I followed the instructions of the gm to remove those files as well as tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game with no positive result. Please advise as to what can be done. I even tried to purchase a new merc slot which leaves me with 4 unoccupied slots and an error message of not being a premium member (which I am). Please advise
    Korwiin likes this.
  5. Vanarix New Member

Same issue after transferring a character from one live server to another. I had three mercenary slots available, one of which was a caster. Tried buying a healer, but system said I already had the maximum number. Dismissed the caster and tried buying again, but got same message. Mercenary window has three Empty slots available and the first one is checked with an X (I assume from the caster that I dismissed).

Tried going through the motions and deleting the specified files and running the game again. to no avail. Installed fresh copy of EQ on a different PC and same issue exists on the character. Petitioned, but they provided the same instructions as above. They closed the ticket and told me to submit a bug, so I'm just adding onto this one since it is the same issue.
  6. Korwiin Journeyman

#MeToo
    Just moved servers with 3 accounts, live server to live server. Can't hire mercs, as above. Completely nuked EQ and reinstalled, same problem.
  7. Korwiin Journeyman

Also check your mounts. My velocity 75 (very fast) mounts are only doing velocity 35 now (as viewed in the stats tab while running)

Never mind, Had a weird run/walk toggle issue... 100% me problem.
  8. Laurenjs New Member

Having same problem after changing a toons server - says I cant hire multiple mercs.. is there a fix yet?
  9. Kevlin Tallfellow New Member

You say you are able to hire mercenaries after having this issue?

Can you please post a step by step process by which you are able to hire mercenaries after having this issue?
  10. Kevlin Tallfellow New Member

Well I managed to successfully hire a mercenary after having this issue. The fix was fairly simple.

First, log in the character that you copied, and copy the UI loadouts and hotkeys and socials from the original character. This will save a configuration file for your new copied character.

Exit the game, and go to the installation directory. For me, that was E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Everquest F2P

Once you're inside that folder, scroll down to look for name of the character you're trying to fix. You'll be looking for a text file of the type "Configuration Settings". If you've used the same character name on multiple servers, make sure you choose the file for the character on the correct server. The file name should be <charactername>_<servername>. Open this file in a text editor.

The fix is pretty simple. Just scroll through the file and DELETE any line that contains a mercenary stance, like "Balanced" or "Passive". Once you've removed all lines containing any mercenary stance, save the file and exit the text editor.

Now start up your game, log into the character, open their mercenary window, and dismiss the mercenary. This should now be successful, allowing you to soon hire a new mercenary.

After you've hired your new mercenary, you will be able to once again copy your loadout from before and the mercenary will continue to function properly.
  11. Kevlin Tallfellow New Member

Well it seems like it's even more simple than I thought. After you copy your loadout from your previous character, right click on the mercenary socials and clear them then accept. Once they're all gone, you should be able to open the mercenary window and dismiss the mercenary.

I was able to do this successfully on three separate characters copied to test, so I was able to reproduce this work-around.

I would edit my previous post, but it took me a bit too long to figure this out, and the edit window had expired.
  12. GibbyNorcal New Member

Having the same issue. But involving transfered characters off a tlp. So they were on a server pre seeds of destruction, so no mercy yet. However I transfered 2 characters off to a live server. Same account. One can hire mercs, one cannot.
    I got the response from gms to nuke certain files, which I did. Even did a fresh install. Same thing.
    I just tried looking through the settings file to do what Kevin tallfellow suggested worked for him. However I didn't see anything related to stances in the files.
  13. Keenween Elder

Simpel, NO thats NOT the problem!
  14. Korwiin Journeyman

I uninstalled, deleted EQ folders, and reinstalled. Clean install, default UI, and I still have same issue. I agree with Keenween above. Access to high tier mercenaries is a premium paid feature, that I now do not have access to on my 3 main chars on 3x subscribed accounts after using a paid server transfer.

Can those of us impacted by this bug be compensated monthly for the degradation of this premium features until its fixed?
  15. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Its marked confirmed. Now all we have to do is wait for it to be fixed internally and then rolled out on a patch. Maybe they will get it in next weeks?

I doubt there would be any financial compensation since they do not guarantee 100% use of the game.

You may want to bring it to their attention by clicking "like" on the first post. That is what they ask us to do so they can see how many it is affecting. I don't think they read thru all the posts.
    Korwiin likes this.
  16. Keenween Elder

This way works now!

Get the merc window up and click dismiss (you get the message, you dont have no mercs now but the Merc merchant says you have mercs and dismiss some or get a message you are no all access member and cant buy one)

Get the merc window again up and hit dismiss, do it again and again so long no merc window pop up and KNOW you can but a new merc.

I have had the same problem on different copy chars and this way works now for me
    Covennx likes this.
  17. Korwiin Journeyman

Genius! You are a bosssss Keenween!
    Replicated your process with success:
    Open merc window, dismiss.
    Open Merc Merchant window, try to buy and fail, keep window open.
    Open merc window, dismiss. and repeat until you get error "You must own a mercenary to bring this window up!"
    Try to hire merc, get an error about needing to wait due to recent dismissal.
    wait 30 seconds.
    Hire and collect bacon.
    Keenween likes this.
  18. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Any time I have done a /copylayout off another character who had more than 1 mercenary in it's lineup, the /copylayout would be broken, the copied character should NOT have a merc window at ALL if it has no merc, yet lo, there it is.

A combiniation of spamming switch and dismiss mercenary until the merc window poofs finally allows for hiring new mercenaries.

I have also found, if the donor character the layout is copied from had any autoswap merc hotkeys. they get stealth copied and will also break the merc window functionaity.

Sometimes it takes several attempts and cycles to convince the merc window there is actually no merc at all.-

On a somewhat related note. If I enter my personal guild hall on a new level 1 and I do /copylayout, the character can no longer view guild bank contents etc anymore unless it camps / zones out and reloads into the zone as THAT data is erroneously copying.

/copylayout shouldn't be carrying mercenary and guildstatus data.
  19. Stymie Pendragon

Work-arounds like this really make me admire the tenacity and determination of gamers. :)
  20. Keenween Elder

Help each other is what we need ;)