Test Server Pet Mitigation Parse thread.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Daegun, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Evergreen New Member

Interesting.

What is the applause for? Tanks are not tanking any better nor are there more of them, even though they will obviously be in more demand. An entire archetype of classes has been diminished, slighted and turned into pariahs if they dared to defend themselves. The community is divided. SoE has a little bit of mud in their eyes.There might be some revenue lost if people follow through with quitting. Generally speaking, this was not handled as well as it could have been. As an honorable mention, pet classes didn't ask for any of this. The over power, the controversy or the nerfs that resulted. They just took what they were handed and went with it. They were never in the driver's seat for this, but still got the spite for it.

Anyway, what was the positive from all this again? Please explain.
    Mintalie likes this.
  2. Truklin Elder

As far as i know, Daegun was never asking for PC tanks to get an upgrade, that was never the goal in all of this. PC tanks are right where they should be in line with current content.

The problem is mages got use to having pets with ridiculously tanking capability, these changes should have taken place a LONG time ago, before hundreds of new heroic mages were made.

I feel for the mages who are going to have their solo capability significantly nerfed, and i agree that this entire issue (especially the stealth nerf) was handled extremely poorly. But that doesn't change the fact that these issues needed to be addressed, as they now are. In part thanks to Daegun's original posting, thus the applause.
    Bigstomp likes this.
  3. sojero One hit wonder

Ah it was explained to me to be a shift down in di, otherwise it would just be a vie. I'll have to look into it again.

Looked it up, yep LS/ unholy/ holy guardian effect only the DI part and mitigate X% still leaving 20 DI. It doesn't effect the DB.
  4. Truklin Elder

Leaving an overpowered option in the game does nothing but hurt class balance. It sucks for those people who dont have access to groups because of play time, or whatever reason and are going to have their progress slowed. Especially after they have already gotten use to being able to handle things that they will no longer be able to. But the positive in this is that an overpowered option is getting knocked down to where it was originally intended to be.
  5. Necromonious Augur

If the devs wanted to make a change that would INSTANTLY encourage grouping and INSTANTLY help some of the most group dependent classes in the game (rogue, berserker), they would allow pets to tank next to players. It is an unnecessary side effect and major drawback of pets that encourages pet classes to refuse to invite or use melee dps players, guildmates or lfg's.

And it is also a very overlooked and ignored reason why it is partly unfair to do side by side comparisons of pets and players as if they are the exact same entity, when they are completely not.

To this day, no one has given a good CURRENT reason why this is in place, even though, like I said ccorrecting it would do more to encourage grouping than pet nerfs ever could
    beryon likes this.
  6. Koneko Augur

remember focused pets still do come with armor and the cloak of enhancement that has +100 avoidance and 35% shielding
  7. Evergreen New Member

No, that is not agreeable. All the nerfs this year really have strained the player base. This one, as you say went years unchecked and probably could have sat for a few more months as well as given more thought both technically and from a community relations standpoint.

There will be a new expac out in a few short months with a very high chance of a level cap increase. Every time there is a new release, especially with a level cap increase there will be opportunity to repair these "overpowered options" in a manner that does far less damage. Be it by stagnation or boosts or some combo of both in addition to mechanics on the content side of things. No matter how you look at it, this could have waited longer. Besides, now it would seem the pet nerf went live in error. How that makes things better, well no one knows. Fewer errors would be nice.
    beryon likes this.
  8. Bigstomp Augur

The devs are working on it. We also want to keep pet classes viable to use their pets as tanks.
    Vast quick swings in the balance of the game help nobody. While I think I should mitigate better than a pet, there is alot of balance around how they mitigate now to deal with fixing.
  9. Truklin Elder

Yes, it could have waited. But for whatever reason the developers chose to deal with it now rather than later.

Probably so they could iron out all of the issues prior to releasing a new expansion with a level increase. If they fix any bugs now they can more accurately scale pets to the next expansion, rather than trying to nerf them while releasing new versions. I'd assume its easier on our developer team this way.

But thats all speculation.
  10. Necromonious Augur

A lot of the mage population boom was during the beaming era. Mage alts were highly popular as PL'ers, due to being easy to level not not requiring an epic to swarm. Necros are just awesome and fun and there will always be lots of em ;)

One of the downsides to flavor of the month (years? lol) is heavy competition for guild raid spots, and gear upgrades, at least purchased ones. Oh and not feeling unique
  11. Evergreen New Member

It doesn't seem right to do this now if your product requires a bunch of repeat business from existing customers to keep itself going and there is a new installment coming out. At least with a new expac being used as the vehicle to introduce changes, some players might be willing to spend the money and take the gamble that SoE got their ducks in a row even if it means their character might lose some power.

Now? You have a definite chance that some people are just going to pass on the next expac on principle. Be it due to the nerfs, the errors or that they are just angry and fed up, it is still lost business and trust. This has not been the only misstep by a long shot in recent history. It all adds up. SoE relies heavily on the players to forgive them when they screw up, but in some cases it might be better to do some more homework while letting some of the dust settle, rather than react immediately to the complaints, parses etc.
  12. Necromonious Augur

Please post parses using intelligent cooldown use. This entire thing is benchmarked by tanks, and tanks use cooldowns. Please post an after-nerf comparison, if you have no bias and nothing to hide
  13. Bigstomp Augur

That was posted in the prior thread months ago. This one is about how pets currently mitigate and tank on test.
  14. Necromonious Augur

As compared to how tanks did months ago? Even if there was no difference, is it really that hard to get a current tank parse on test? Why can't a tank be helpful and do one? It sure seems to be an us vs. them divide atm :( Where is the link to the thread where it was posted?
  15. Daegun Augur

I currently and have always ... welcome ANYONE to parse with me. I hate doing it all myself. To keep the parses clean and interpret-able it works best if you avoid use of any vies that screw with the DI spread. I understand these are part of normal every day gameplay and are important facets - but having clean data in the raw makes interpretation much easier.

The effects of vies/discs can very easily be superimposed on the raw data.
    Brogett likes this.
  16. Daegun Augur

feiddan likes this.
  17. Gnomeland Augur

Let me get this straight - you're saying that pets taking 50% extra DPS from trash mobs, and even higher from rare mobs, is 'not that bad,' despite the fact that this basically trashes, at the minimum, 1/3 pet class's ability to even use their pets to tank current content.

Hahahahaha. Do you even know what a 7.5k sustained DPS from a trash mob entails for healing requirements in current content? I imagine you do, but are actively ignoring it out of sheer bias.

Piece of advice - stick to the parses, lest you dig yourself deeper into a hole.
    Mintalie likes this.
  18. feiddan Augur

From the charts, it still looks to me like pets have a far more favorable DI distribution than other DPS classes (even the more tank-like ones such as monks or rangers). Monks and Rangers don't have a great deal of defensive tools they can rotate. My interpretation of the round-by-round charts is that pets are still head and shoulders above monks and rangers in terms of tanking ability. Pets, additionally, have much higher HP pools.

As a monk, I manage to tank current content just fine. On paper, pets are tanking much better me.

Magician pets, on paper, still look to be fantastic tanks. Yes, playstyles might have to adjust because they are no longer as good as they were before these changes. They still look to be mighty strong.
  19. Gnomeland Augur

I hope you're not trying to say that monks and rangers are viable tanks for content they're still able to get ugprades from, because that's just silly.

Besides which, looking at DI charts shows you only the mitigation difference. Avoidance is equally important past a specific spike range. Healers' mana and HPS is not infinite. The idea that to tank all you need to do is hit a specific DI range is sheer ignorance.

Pets have lower avoidance than players across the board.
  20. Unsunghero Elder

Not so much - I just read the entire thing. Ugh. All 47 pages. Well skimmed anyway. At first, a parser named makavien was requested to do parses using active mitigation abilities and he declined. Eventually, he did a single parse vs Roon where he said he used everything (assuming all discs), I didn't see NTTB, but I don't know how NTTB was even doing during that phase of balancing. Average hit was still like 8k. Daegun asked Makavien for DI spread graph but Makavien never provided one (that I could find)

Then Daegun offered one long parse where he was tanking trash mobs and claimed to be using active mitigation, but he also mentioned the mobs varied and were being debuffed, and I don't think it can really be all that useful with all those random variables.

Is there any other parses involving active mitigation abilities other than those two?