Terror of Luclin....

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Geko, Sep 15, 2021.

1. Tucoh Augur

I bought the DBG spell designers each a copy of Finnegans Wake to help them out, their thesauruses were getting too worn out. EQ has been pushing my vocabulary forward for 22 years now. Every new expansion is a new opportunity to learn new obscure words like "atavism" or "crepuscular". Then there's stuff like "Telajaga" which is just random words stuck together. I think the worst is the increase in "Let's just name stuff after NPCs" like Omorden's Spiteful Lyric. I can imagine them sitting at a desk thinking, "OK, I need a bunch of new names for bard DD songs, let's just use the warrior mob who gave me Kael armor 20 years ago..."
    Gyurika Godofwar, Stymie and Fenthen like this.
  2. Tucoh Augur

Would love to see this. It's so confusing to returning players to see players use the different forms of the spell lines interchangeably, or to try and dig through guides that are a mere year or two old to figure out the basics of their class.
    Stymie and Fenthen like this.
  3. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

4. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Roman numerals are terrible.

I'm constantly amazed at the things the Roman Empire accomplished with that terrible number system. Just imagine what they could have done if they used Arabic numerals instead (0-9).

© Copyright MMXXI
    code-zero and Skuz like this.
  5. Sissruukk Rogue One

They already use the Roman Numeral system with our poisons. We are up to XX now.
  6. Shredd Augur

all mobs undead. . need more paladin
  7. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

I know they use it for a number of things [pun not intended but I'll go with it].

I'm saying they should not use it for any number that goes over three and instead use Arabic numerals.

The "joke" of my post was the "© Copyright MMXXI ". Does anyone know what number that is? You can guess it is 2021 but really, almost no one knows what the numbers mean as they get higher.

MCMXII is 1912, how many people do you think know that? I didn't. I got it from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_numerals which also mentions, "In fact, there has never been an officially binding, or universally accepted standard for Roman numerals."

Much like non-metric measurement systems, Roman numerals need to die.
    Svann2 and Gialana like this.
  8. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I never had any problems with roman numerals myself, in my junior & senior schools we even used them in some of the lessons "for fun", once you have some familiarity with using them often enough they become much easier to work with, they still operate on base 10 maths after all, so I'd say familiarity is the key to using them "fluently" and the Romans did fine with them because they used nothing else for a long time. They were after all impressivly capable engineers.

Coming back to spell names/ability names etc, I think the past few expansions they were just given thematically appropriate names that fitted in with the expansion anyway.

Like Axe of Derakor in ToV for example an extension of prior Axe of.... abilities with a name refective of the expansion it was from.
    I don't see a problem continuing that trend.
  9. Szilent Augur

Roman numerals have, thusfar, worked out just fine for American football fans to number their annual Super Bowls out to 51.

They've worked out just fine for clerics numbering their Yaulps out to 16.

Folks can handle it. Folks could also handle Shock of Fire XXI this coming Dec. Or Conflagration XVIII, if one wants to start numbering from the bit-more-iconic o.g. level cap version of Wizard Single Target Fire Based Nuke. Or Conflagration XIV, if one wishes to set aside the one-off "Ancient" spells (that were really just Rk.IIIs before Rk.IIIs, but whaaaatever.)
    Skuz and Ozon like this.
  10. Fenthen aka Rath

Alternatively, " Shock of Fire (114) " or whatever is also an acceptable naming convention, as it helps players OF ALL LEVELS OF KNOWLEDGE know that they are using the most up-to-date version of a spell, unless assuming there is no update (*cough*Jonthan's*cough*) for some still-unknown reason.
    Fanra and Viper1 like this.
  11. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

Also Azia, Beza, Caza, etc. are options.
  12. Sissruukk Rogue One

Be glad they don't write out stuff in Latin longhand (like they used to on papal documents):
    millesimoquadragesimoquinquagesimonono (1459)
    Tucoh likes this.
  13. Nennius Curmudgeon

Or this:
    Alatulya! Nai aurelya nauva mára!
  14. Stymie Pendragon

The only issue I had with Roman numerals was trying to catch the year a movie was made around the turn of the millennium. They would always fly by so fast that I rarely could do the math before it was gone.

1988=MCMLXXXVIII as an example. I still wonder why anyone would use the system. This conversion alone is more than twice as long. I guess they think it looks fancier or more official or something. /shrug
  15. demi Augur

I think binary is better
    1988 = 11111000100
    source https://decimal.info/Decimal-to-Binary/how-to-convert-1988-to-binary.html

;)
    Skuz and Stymie like this.
  16. Szilent Augur

I look forward to caring about this in a bit less than 4000 years from now when EverQuest players get to advance our characters to level 9965
  17. Viper1 Augur

Regardless, it would still be an improvement to use the basic, original spell name combined with some progression indicator so that you can tell at a glance what era spell is being used vs unique "flavor" names that don't indicate, in and of themselves, what era it comes from.
  18. Khat_Nip Meow

They could really have done a number on people and used morse code:
    Abundant Healing .--- (1)
    Abundant Healing ..--- (2)
    Abundant Healing ...-- (3)
    Abundant Healing ....- (4)
    Abundant Healing ..--- ----. (29)
    Abundant Healing ..... .---- (51)
    etc.
  19. Act of Valor The Newest Member

I want my spells tiers to be described to me with sign language.
  20. Fenthen aka Rath

and not brail? Come on...