Terror of Luclin Raids: A Raider's Review

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Syylke_EMarr, Jul 13, 2022.

1. Zunnoab Augur

Re: Aten Ha Ra enrage, once you get her under 10% any additional adds can be up and allow a win. She still has too many HP, but it's a small bit of wiggle room if barely missing the enrage timer l.

It's funny that you cited Sontalak, an event only possible to easily burn due to how catastrophically broken it is in lagging out the instance.

That event, as designed, is an unfun tedious slog. The statue emote gives an unreasonably short warning to the point of not being worth dodging and the mechanic to get help from the helper should actually mean something.

I like that player tools can be used to survive what I can only assume was an attempt to make it unburnable. When done as intended, it should have half the adds it does. I actually like the banish mechanic. That's an example of an emote done right in my opinion, as cheesy as the percentage based banishes with IIRC no emote are.

Reporting to player logs is something they've gotten better at but needs more consistency. Lack of "lands on other" or even "lands on you" text for emote punishments is a big one.

The shadow step on OoL is on a consistent timer if the instance isn't lagged out. Keeping that in mind and tracking it mitigates shadow step into auras. It's still annoying and introduces luck for an achievement one person fails for the raid, but it's not entirely unpredictable.
  2. tsiawdroi TittyGOAT

I think the penalty for failing emotes should scale in difficulty among the tiers. Currently, one person failing on doomshade is most likely a wipe on a t1 raid. I personally like the penalty on OOL where dying causes an add to spawn as a penalty. Penalties on t1 events should be able to be overcome/recovered with focus and determination.
    Stymie and Syylke_EMarr like this.
  3. Metanis Bad Company

2 thoughts...

1. As a cleric the ticks are the absolute worst. I CAN keep almost anyone alive through a tick IF I can identify them AND target them in time. But the tick damage is so extreme that some classes won't survive long enough for me to get them on target. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if the ticks broadcast their targets a few seconds before going active. And it also wouldn't hurt if successive waves of ticks can't target someone that has already been inflicted earlier with a tick. I only have a single fade and it has a long refresh timer.

2. I'm surprised no one has commented on how few of these ToL raids are trivial even 6 months in. People still need to actually pay attention and work at their classes for most of the events. I think the Devs need some credit for designing these in such a way that they are still challenging even after learning the strats and getting geared. That said, it's getting very tedious to farm these events. That's going to hurt retention for many guilds I think.
    Annastasya, Stymie, Qimble and 2 others like this.
  4. Syylke_EMarr Augur

Yeah I agree that not having any "quick and easy" farm targets (e.g. Zlandi) does make logging in for farm more and more tedious.
  5. Zunnoab Augur

I think of Shei as the "Zlandicar" of the expansion, but it is more involved. I suppose I have it good as a bard and I love the bane mechanic, and if in the team up top it really is just a burn.

I like that OOL death adds are tied to chainers being up.
    Elyssanda likes this.
  6. Shredd Augur

Something that I feel really changed all the raids in ToL is the opening up of the buff slots. 200 slots lets all the classes open their spells.
    Stymie, Elyssanda, Ozon and 1 other person like this.
  7. Syylke_EMarr Augur

Huge quality of life improvement. A+ to the dev team on that one
    Stymie likes this.
  8. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

I’m genuinely amazed the number of people that continually log in week after week to do the same events.
    Syylke_EMarr likes this.
  9. Syylke_EMarr Augur

Honestly the main reason I keep doing it is for the people. I wonder how many are similar and we're just continuing to raid because of a shared idea of being there for our friends/guildmates and if any of us realized that's why we're all there, we'd all suddenly disappear :p
    Stymie, Marton and Windance like this.
  10. The real Sandaormo Augur

I like getting loot, I also like getting guildies and friends their loot.

Good mix of technical movement and stand there and hit stuff. Keeps everyone on their toes with some of the raid wipe mechanics. I always do like at least one burn / easy coin fight but I like all the raids this time.
    Stymie and Ozon like this.
  11. Syylke_EMarr Augur

If I'm being honest, my excitement over loot has basically gone to 0 over the last few expansions. It's just so boring to me to loot yet another ore/nugget/whatever and have to buy/make some generic container to put it in and make a generically named item to match my other generically named items. Not to mention that the loot is all boilerplate at this point so it's just numbers going up while the mob numbers go up so we can maintain a status quo of gear quality vs mob damage/health.

That's not intended to be an attack or anything, just my general feelings toward loot lately. I mentioned it in my original post, but the bare minimum I'd like to see is swapping the names on the ore gear and the dropped gear so I'm not just wearing a set of Luclinite Coagulated Item.
    Stymie and Qimble like this.
  12. Cicelee Augur

I'm generally amazed the number of people that continually sign up for the newest TLP to do the same content year after year
  13. Nennius Curmudgeon

[IMG]
    Metanis and Stymie like this.
  14. Silu Elder

Try leashing the boss at 10% and redoing the whole event with max runaway emotes... I mean, I've /heard/ that is quite a thing to behold.
  15. FranktheBank Augur

We started out that way. The better strat was no lag and just burn him because you get to skip drakes.

The events are largely irrelevant. I log in to tell Sieger he is obese for ~4-6 hours a week. It's basically just hanging out with elfpals in discord and some pixel nonsense also happens.
    Metanis and Stymie like this.
  16. Zunnoab Augur

Burning likely only allows skipping drakes due to bugs in how the script spawns them and keeps track. I'm guessing it skips by percentages so fast the scripting is less likely to see what it's looking for to spawn them. Then the zone lag gets so bad the pathing and mob AI virtually halts.
  17. Fian Augur

One more thing. I don't like that the final raid requires 6 clicky macros. One or two would have been enough.
  18. Qimble Augur

On our first sontalak kill we didn't have the numbers to do the burn strat... and then he leashed at 20%, it was the last attempt of the night so we just rolled with it, ended up being around an 1:20 fight duration if I remember right. Clerics threatened to quit the guild en masse if that was the expected normal strat. Thankfully we got the burn strat (and then the pull him outta the fight area burn strat) working in fairly short order after that.

Re: adds for enrage timer, I will say the "if you can't beat enrage you don't have the DPS to deal with the adds and win" is just plain wrong. The enrage adds in every event have a lower DPS threshold to kill one before the next one spawns than the DPS needed to avoided them entirely. Plus at least some of them are vulnerable to SU/assassinate/headshot/etc and it's very possible to be pretty deep into the enrage timer and still get the win. Plus I don't *think* any of them lock the bosses HP if you grind the boss down low enough and then just switch to kiting/offtanking them and finish off the boss.

Re: Sancus saying that there's not really mechanic execution required for most raid members on CTG I think shows the difference between a low/mid tier guilds experience and a top one. Unless you have weird RNG that happens to keep picking the same few people (which admittedly has been our experience with some of the emotes this expansion, have any of y'all experienced that most of the time you have one person needing to get dispelled 3-4 times and another needing to run away on doom over and over, etc?) by the time you're done with the final phase a pretty significant portion of the raid in a mid/low tier raid will have had to interact with the mechanics.

I'd be curious to know what some of y'all have as rDPS is on an average CTG run. For reference our FTK was 17.5m. I was also curious about "can't beat adds so can't beat event" I looked back on our FTK of FTG and it was under 10m raid DPS, so we got pretty deep into enrage before the win.
  19. Syylke_EMarr Augur

It was slightly hyperbole but is dependent on the event and circumstances. Is it possible to still win an event with enrage adds that prevent winning until they're dead? Yes. Can it create an unwinnable event? Also yes. That's why I don't like enrage adds as an enrage mechanic.

I've noticed on Torgarath's (CtG) emotes that they will often "stick" to a person unless that person fades.

Below is the DPS from our last CtG win, so I think we're pretty similar to your experience there. We definitely get a lot of emotes and can easily have an emote failure in the final 50% of Kratakel force a wipe still :(

[IMG]
  20. FranktheBank Augur

Much like Zlandi, we actually preferred less lag, because we just wanted the dps to be able to to hit buttons. We could have easily had knights tank more drakes away from raid. It would have been easier to get aggro without lag too lol

For the person asking about CTG dps, our kill today was 21.12m over 1662s
    Qimble likes this.