Terror of Luclin Raids: A Raider's Review

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Syylke_EMarr, Jul 13, 2022.

1. Syylke_EMarr Augur

Initial preface: These are solely my own personal opinions, so take them with a grain of salt or whatever.

With the next expansion around the corner, I thought I'd take a moment to do a sort of "review" of the current expansion raids. Maybe give an idea of what I liked, what I didn't like, and just general thoughts.

As a general guideline of my role in our raids, I play a Shadow Knight so I am typically dealing with the adds on events. I also do most of our tank assignments on events. My guild is also more of a mid-tier raiding guild (though currently the #1 on Erollisi Marr, for whatever that's worth), so that also will affect my opinions, due to our capabilities and strategies that work for us, or even just misunderstanding some event mechanics.
    • Overall thoughts
      • In general, the scaling of raid tiers seemed fairly good. I liked that tier 1 raids did not have enrage timers as that made them much more accessible.
      • Lag definitely made events harder than intended in a lot of cases (or at least more annoying).
      • ToL expansion as a whole has some weird issues with initial agro that played a part in annoyances during raids.
      • I would have liked to see more Personal raid achievements on some events, but that's more of a preference than anything else.
      • On most events, the adds hit extremely hard (oftentimes harder than the "boss" itself). I'm not sure if I feel that's a good or bad thing, but it is a thing.
      • Speaking of adds (and bosses, in some cases): mobs that summon during movement-heavy events is a pain. I understand that the devs are allergic to kiting as a strategy, but there has to be a better way. Nothing quite as frustrating as failing a mechanic/achievement because an add summoned you back into an aura or something.
      • Not related to the events themselves, but I can't resist the urge to poke the horse: I wish the item names (at least) on the dropped and ore gear were swapped.
    • Tier 1
      • Zelnithak (Umbral Plains)
        • This is not a bad entry level raid.
        • The valley-style of terrain does cause issues with aura visibility at times, and the AEs can be a bit punishing to lesser-geared characters.
        • The initial agro issues were very prevalent and visible during this event, with the adds mostly ignoring initial agro and requiring 2 "hits" to actually acquire agro.
      • Doomshade (Umbral Plains)
        • Another decent entry level raid. I know there was some tuning on this after it went live, but it's current state is about right.
        • No major complaints with the raid design as a whole. I like the "evolving" nature of the boss.
      • Netherbian Swarm Commander (Umbral Plains)
        • A slight step up in difficulty from the other two Tier 1 raids, though could be due to our strategy. Still a good tier 1 raid experience.
        • The randomness in the number of adds per wave was somewhat annoying for assigning tanks. The randomness in the type of adds was nice though. I wouldn't want to see it overused, but it was neat.
        • Some of the add waves may have 1-2 more mobs than I'd have liked to see. I feel that 6 is a good number, especially for a tier 1 raid.
    • Tier 2
      • Shei Vinitras (Ka Vethan)
        • I feel that this raid was a miss from a design perspective. The best strategy for this one is simply to have most of the raid sit in the guild hall and wait while 3-4 groups burn the boss down.
        • If you're not in one of the few groups that can be up top with the boss, you're relegated to just running in circles and twiddling your thumbs.
        • As an aside, Roehn Theer from EQ2 was a raid with a strong focus on movement that I really loved. Movement-focused raids can be done, but I don't think Shei Vinitras was the right design.
      • Aten Ha Ra (Vex Thal)
        • When lag wasn't making this event a headache, it was one of the better events this expansion.
        • Going back to my previous mention of movement-heavy events, this one was a good example.
        • As a whole, I felt this event hit all of the good strategy high notes: add control, movement, emotes, burn phases, even the "enrage" timer was at a good number.
      • Free the Goranga (Maiden's Eye)
        • On the whole, this one was fairly solid other than 3 somewhat minor complaints.
        • I wasn't a fan of the "spears" mechanic that just instantly killed 1-2 characters. Yes, it can be negated by clearing the runes associated with that set, but I would have preferred if there was a reactive response available instead of just relegating some characters to dying every time. Not a huge deal though.
        • The aura/range of the "chains" emote was way too large. Probably 50-60% of the current size would be good, in my opinion.
        • This raid heavily exposed issues with the EQ graphics engine and overlapping auras. Depending the locations and colors, auras will just disappear when they overlap. On this event, it would make it difficult to spot the different auras.
    • Tier 3
      • Oubliette of Light (Basilica of Adumbration)
        • The first 2 "phases" (6 adds, Fade and Umber) were fine
        • The final "phase" (Kratakel) had a couple of issues for me
        • The shadowstep AE was a pain and, in my opinion, unnecessary. It didn't add anything enjoyable to the event, and caused issues with the other mechanics.
        • I prefer the group version of the "purple" aura design, with the aura spawning in the center of the room every time, rather than in random locations. The random locations could be frustrating with the other random location auras during the event.
      • Primal Vampire (Bloodfalls)
        • For the most part, a good tier 3 event.
        • The ticks, however, were far too punishing. Either reduce the effectiveness of their DoT/debuff, or reduce their melee damage output. Yes, you can control some of them, but not all of them, and it's typically a death sentence for any of the squishier characters.
      • Close the Gate (Bloodfalls)
        • Overall, a good final raid of the expansion.
        • As mentioned in Oubliette, the shadowstep was not a fun addition. Most of my frustrations on this event were due to dying because the shadowstep would turn me away from the mob(s) I was tanking.
        • Some better visibility on the emote failures, especially the final dark/light aura ones, would be nice.
    • Special
      • 23rd Anniversary - Mad Emperor (Karnor's Castle)
        • Not a bad design for a limited run raid.
        • Similar to Primal Vampire, the haunts during Rile were frustrating (in a bad way). Rather than making these "uncontrollable" adds kill people, maybe have them do something else to temporarily remove the character from the event (DA, silence, mez, etc).
    So, that's it. Those are my thoughts on this expansion's raids. Probably lots to disagree with here, but there you go!
    Stymie, Wulfhere, code-zero and 9 others like this.
  2. Svann2 The Magnificent

I thought swarm commander was the easiest T1.
    -----Cinexa----- and Yinla like this.
  3. The real Sandaormo Augur

Probably the best over all set of Raids / Heroic Missions in the past 4 or 5 expansions.
    Metanis likes this.
  4. Syylke_EMarr Augur

Mechanically, it's the simplest, but is the most prone to wiping for us (of the tier 1 events). That could be due to our "face tank everything" strategy though. :p
  5. zleski Augur

This is a pretty good analysis. If you don't mind, I'll offer my own feedback as well since it's been on my mind now that we're six months into the raid content.

On Oubliette, initially, the raid followed the mission with the aura static in the centre. The best strategy was to pile everybody on the centre of the platform and not move at all. In no way was it a tier 3 event like that. Random auras is a good buff to the event's difficulty.

Overall, all of the events in this expansion are fun when there's no lag. Zelnithak is the standout as being the least fun, by far, even without lag. I understand what it's trying to do, but the implementation of the alternating invulnerabilities is a miss for me. The event plays as being more frustrating than anything else. This is probably a much more fun event if you're a non-caster. Our strategy now is to just burn the thing and pile up adds and get the event over, ignoring mechanics. Any time a raid team is aiming to intentionally bypass mechanics writ large because those mechanics frustrate players should be a red flag. Raid teams with less DPS (or tanking/healing) ability do not have this option and it can be a big slog (see below about event duration).

Mechanics this year were frustrating at times. I don't mind the ticks, even, though on Sunday I somehow ended up getting ping pong summoned by feasts and couldn't cast any spells (I'm an Enchanter, so I have a TON of runes) for the summons. When someone "ticked off" they should be immune to summons. It's bad enough the tick is pushing the player around, but adding summons on top of it just feels bad.

Mana drains and shadow steps really should be kept as a punish mechanic, used when the raid team does something "wrong." These mechanics, again, play out as frustrating and seem like a way to force a timer on top of the enrage timer. Design-wise, those two mechanics along with the Doomshade-style "AE DD to keep the healers from getting bored" come across as lazy.

Some of these events, like OP calls out, suffer greatly from graphics/rendering shortcomings. Taking Zelnithak and Free the Goranga as examples: Each of these has coloured auras that have a key impact. On Zelnithak, the stone aura doesn't render fully (perhaps some Z-axis issue) so it can be extremely difficult to know where you are in relation to it. On FTG, the large white aura can make it difficult to see the location "safe spots" from the moonfall. Here, OP suggests halving the size for balance, but I would opt to instead address the rendering issue to handle the overlap better.

My favourite event, assuming no lag, is actually Close the Gate. It is a very dynamic event with clear stages and a transition between them. I like that the NPCs can even assist, which is an asset for raid teams that need a leg up. On the flip side, this event has some of the more frustrating mechanics: One person can effectively wipe the raid by spawning a ton of shadows on top of the team. This is the last event, and a tier 3 event, so there should be some severe penalty for failing to comply with the emotes, but I would really like it if there was a cap of two shadows spawned per penalty).

Overall, the majority of the events were well designed and implemented. They suffer from the systemic lag issues that can pop up randomly on your raid night. As I mentioned in beta, some of these are just about five minutes too long. Events like AHR end up as a huge slog from when she goes active to when the blobs pop (on beta the blobs popped at 50%, which kept the event feeling more dynamic). Not every raid team is clearing these events in 10 or 12 minutes, and with those teams, the pain of duration is acutely felt. The two standout problems for this are Aten Ha Ra and Free the Goranga. If the mechanics were kept largely the same (I would move AHR's blobs back to 50%) but the overall event shortened a few minutes, I think it would be a net positive.

What I would love to see for future expansions is more mechanics-focused events like Close the Gate and fewer like Zelnithak. More individual achievements (kudos for making Unstomped individual!) and care/thought given to how the event programming tolerates lag. I know lag is a focus point, but we'll have the lag until we don't.
  6. Syylke_EMarr Augur

First, thanks for providing your own perspectives! I do like the idea of this being a general perspective thread and not just my own!

Specific to the quote above, that's a valid point that I hadn't considered. My initial thought was mostly due to frustrations around the yellow and purple aura areas overlapping (exacerbated by the shadowstep).

I also agree that Close the Gate is a very good raid. Between it and Aten (when lag permits), I'm not sure which is my favorite. Both are very well designed, overall.
    zleski and Metanis like this.
  7. Metanis Bad Company

Nice write-up! Thank you for taking the time to do this. I couldn't find anything to quibble with your analysis as a cleric main.
    zleski and Syylke_EMarr like this.
  8. Cadira Augur

In my opinion...

Zelthiniak: 5/10
    Adds should have taken increased damage or normal damage depending on phase, instead of standard damage or reduced. Increase hp of everything in event to compensate. Same end result, but people hate seeing out right reductions in their dps as opposed to doing normal or bonus damage (yes you can have appropriate people on the appropriate mob during each phase but still an overall dps loss for people who do dps with both spells and melee, including pets, and it also can create an imabalance depending on your raid makeup where some phases might overwhelm you with adds if certain people stay on the boss -sorry, run on sentence).

Overlapping aes we're a little harsh for an entry level raid. True you can avoid one of them, with some summoning adds.

Overall not a great or bad raid but small changes could have made it way better.

Doomshade: 3/10

Has a raid wiping single person emote so it's automatically a terrible raid, at best.

Way too many emotes going out period. Purple aura decal is insanely huge for no reason - no one wants this.

Other than emote issue it's ok as far as other mechanics go.

Swarm commander: 6/10

I kinda like this one from any angle I play it on. Slightly harsh on the tank check especially since adds are random and can't always be pre targeted by the same tank each round. First few rounds of adds come so quick that a lot of tanks run out of discs by that time and have a hard time tanking even one mob let alone two without glyping due to adds hitting so hard. Can be worked around though.

Straight forward event otherwise and good for a t1 for the most part.

Goranga: 2/10

This raid was a complete failure for multiple reasons. It has a raid wiping single person emote going most of the time, making it terrible to start. Enormous decal on said emote is insanely huge and unwanted/unnecessary.

The devs could have turned this raid from zero to hero with a single change (albeit hard to implement possibly): instead of wards going active in a certain order, they should have let you kill a set of wards of your choice to limit your punishment by your own choice. Don't like the raid wipe emote? Cool kill those wards first! But no, you can't choose. Random mobs dt'ing you is also horrible and unwanted.

Otherwise I'm cool with most the other mechanics. Could have been a really cool raid where the devs empower the players to choose their own fate, but failed to allow us that right.

AHH: 3/10

Single person raid wiping emotes full time automatically makes this a bad raid. Failure to fix the latency issues makes this raid additionally painful if you get a slow instance. Most of the event is just beating the crap out of ahh and avoiding auras and emotes. Extremely boring. At least blobs make it a little more interesting for a few people. Enrage timer is a little harsh for mid tier guilds.

I don't know how they could have made this event better. It's just kind of bad.

Shei: 7/10

The one event you can "kind of" burn which is always wanted each expansion for at least one event. Typically in favor of melee dps though, and casters/rangers usually get hosed in most guilds for their full potential but still ok.

Very simplistic "gimmie" event most of the time but that's great for one raid each year. Lag makes dodging auras (overall stupid design imo) horrible though.

Oubliette: 8/10

I really like this event. Fairly straight forward with a slight learning curve but overall not too hard or easy. Death adds can be a little rough if people are stupid but that's on them. I mostly enjoy the event as a tank, slightly less so on healer or dps. Kinda sucks having purple aura spawn in yellow aura but it can be worked around.

Vampire: 5/10

Don't hate most of the mechanics of this event in general but they were tuned poorly.

Ticks hit too hard, punishment for killing charmed people was too rough (a lot of time they die to tank riposte which is bs) but can usually be worked through. Being a t3 raid is no excuse for increase in artificial difficulty, in any game (making things "hit harder" is a lazy artificial difficulty increase).

Ctg: 6/10

I generally like this but adds probably hit too hard for their sheer number and consistency. Same issue as swarm commander but maybe class balance will fix that at some point (lmfao).

All the emotes are a little much and don't offer a real form of challenge. It just seems like the devs said: "you know what will make the final raid really hard? Tons of emotes!" As if that's true. It just makes people have to have a ton of clickies, potions, and Gina triggers.

The raid wiping emotes near the end, although fairly short lived for most guilds, is the only real thing dragging down my rating on this event.

Overall: Raids this year were pretty bad, most people in the three guilds I'm in hate at least half of them, and most of the feed back Ms gave in beta was ignored that I believe would have made them at least average.

My opinions!
  9. Tevik Augur

I think some of that problem would be helped if they could get the "safe spot" decal to function in the raid the same way it does in the group mission. Players left with a little bit of guesswork on just how big that safe area is each round (the sparkly aura isn't exactly a clear line in the sand on where it ends) which can make it tough for people when it's close to the root auras or chainers.
    Syylke_EMarr likes this.
  10. Syylke_EMarr Augur

Snipped cause long post...

Thanks for the extra input! Always interesting to see different people's thoughts! More opinions is good, and, who knows, maybe we can help shape the future of raids!
    Cadira likes this.
  11. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I don't like the second phase on Obliette. The engine isn't good with drawing overlapping auras, and it is hard to spot where the safespots are, especially if you play in first person view.
    Auras like that need clear boundaries and a flat floor to work well, Vault from EoK was auras done right. The flickering mess in Obliette is poorly implemented imho.

I also think the safespot-particles in the Goranga raid are problematic, as they are sometimes beyond the far-clip-plane for particles. You can't always see them from the previous safespot.
    Xeladom, Yinla, Fenthen and 2 others like this.
  12. Qimble Augur

My thoughts as a paladin who typically does knight assignments. My guild beats raids but we aren't putting up those sustained 20m+ raidDPS numbers that a lot of y'all are probably accustomed to:

T1- Doomshade: I really enjoy it. The run away emotes can get a little nutty during that final burn, but I really enjoy the way the event changes at it goes on with the boss gaining more abilities but having less mezzable mobs to deal with.

NSC: I'm fairly sure that at some point they changed this raid, either that or we had insane RNG for a while there. For the first couple months of beating it we would get a fixed distribution of the different kinds of adds during the later add waves. That made it easy to throw out assignments for kit/root/tank away from raid/tank at raid for later add phases and so long as everyone did their job it went like clockwork. Since we started getting a random distribution it can be frustrating at times to get the root/tank away from raid adds controlled quickly enough that they don't go somewhere we don't want. Overall it's a raid I look forward to.

Zel: This donkey can die. 2nd least enjoyable raid this expansion, worst if you have an unbalanced raid force. We've been lucky that MOST of the time when we're unbalanced it's in favor of melee so we can have them help clean up adds. Aggro can be wonky at first because of the way the adds behave if you hit them with something while they're still pathing into the fight zone, but the real frustration is just how quickly can spiral out of control if you don't tightly control your DPS. (or have DPS hitting an AOE when they shouldn't and waking up some mezz adds) It'd be a much better fight if mezz/charm still reliably landed when the adds are spell-resistant.

T2- Shei: Most miserable raid this expansion even when being done with low lag. Caster-heavy raids probably don't mind it as much, but we usually only have 1 pally on the platform so the rest of us spend 90% of the raid doing little more than waiting for GINA to tell us to splash or that adds are spawning and we need to root them. I understand why they have the ramping platform AE, but I really wish there was a way to not just have people sitting on the floor doing almost nothing for the whole fight.

FTG: Love it. I don't love the way the graphics for shackle can obliterate my ability to see half the other stuff going on and I don't love the DTs, but otherwise it's a great raid. Even the enrage mechanic is something you can cope with, I think on our FTK we were so deep into the enrage that we were getting 12+ shadows when the last set spawned. Lots of stuff to tank, DPS and healers have to run around to deal with auras / runes / keeping shackled people alive. Fun.

AHR: An absolutely beautiful raid now that pathing has been fixed *if* you can get an instance without lag. I enjoy the number of things there are to tank, having to move the whole raid to avoid golems, the blobs, the blinds on enrage, all of it. Sadly it seems to have been designed by someone unaware of the habitual server issues. Pathing problems + summoning mobs + golems on a laggy night can wipe your raid without the raid force having made any mistakes.

T3- Oubliette: When I was first running this group mission in the beta we didn't experiment with the doorway strat, so we beat it by just moving the group between safe spots based on where the lights drop. Kinda wish that you had to do the same for raid, as is tanking them in the doorway makes the entirety of P1 pretty unexciting. P2 I will echo the comments of others w/r/t the visibility of auras in raid vs group versions. If the safe spot aura grew it would be better, I would also prefer if there was a graphical warning of how large the danger zone is going to grow before the 2nd/3rd pulses hit. Adding that visibility would remove the guesswork of trying to decide if we can keep the raid at the very edge of the platform for 1 more cycle to lower the chance of people being shadowstepped into the yellow auras when the safe spot is littered with them.

PV: Obviously biased, but I love it. My one little nitpick is that it's annoying to have to free up a top level inventory slot and play an inventory management subgame to deal with the ticks and AE blockers. Would be less annoying if the two items created weren't lore and were tradeable. Regarding the punishment for killing a charmed person, I'm glad it's not a guaranteed raid wiping emote. I think it's only wiped us once out of 4 or 5 times we got hit by it. Just gotta make sure people are saving their big buttons for it.

CTG: As much as we about auras blocking everything, I wish there was some sort of visual cue to make it easier to see if someone is standing in the wrong spot and was going to get double AE'd. Like with many others this raid can be unbeatable if you get an instance that is lagged to , we have had a couple times where we had to burn a blood just to try and get a less-laggy instance because the stonegrabbers were rubber banding so hard we could not get them into position to avoid a double/triple AE from wiping us out. The light/darkness emotes near the end can also be quite frustrating because you can't even kite the adds. So if you have 1 darkness person out of position you get 6 adds. Not a guaranteed wipe but since the adds summon at 100% it's pretty damn likely. We also have had at least on attempt get wiped because a dead person got hit with the darkness emote, and even without them taking a rez it still fired the aura where their corpse was. More than any other raid this expansion it's laughably easy if you have extremely high DPS since you can effectively skip the entire last phase.

tl;dr: Donkey sucks, shei is boring, other raids are good to great without lag. Would like it if dev's took event behavior during nights with lag into consideration when designing events. I personally do not enjoy events where how much the server lags determines the outcome, I thought it was boring when it was in our favor with sontalak and I didn't like it when we wiped to 3-4 sets of golems on AHR finally moving with overlapping auras so the entire fight area is covered by the time we wipe.
    Syylke_EMarr likes this.
  13. Qimble Augur

And as a side note: I wonder if developers understand that the difference between mid and top tier raiding guild DPS means that we aren't really playing the same game.
    Metanis, Syylke_EMarr and Zunnoab like this.
  14. Zunnoab Augur

They need to be aware of what thier servers can handle. While I don't know the back end I think these would work better:
    Don't rely on pathing. Spawn and despawn things to make areas safe or unsafe if the pathing lag can't be fixed. Secondly, a failsafe despawn timer would mitigate problems like the Shei auras and multiple waves of golems being up on Aten Ha Ra. I assume thier despawn is based on reaching thier destination as is. When they can't path it's a disaster.

"One fails, they all fail" achievements are annoying. Luckily unstomped was changed prior to launch. It's not this expansion but Sontalak has to be the single best example of an awful achievement like this with the event's extreme lag and ludicrously short emote reaction time.

I dislike enrage timers without a specific lore reason for the event. Most of the game hasn't used them. They don't need to be shoehorned in. That said I do like the soft enrage nature to them in this expansion.

Personally I like the expansion. I do know a few people who dread Oubliette and Aten Ha Ra for being too drawn out though.

I'm torn on Close the Gate. I actually think it's done well. It is the final encounter after all, and I like that the stonegrabbers are first. They would have been obnoxious later in the event due to wasted time if the raid slips up and gets leveled

Aten Ha Ra's HP is absolutely needlessly absurdly high.

There was a time when each Oubliette phase would have been its own event. I don't mind the shadow step, but I don't feel the mixing it and random aura locations with the banish zones is good. I prefer the raid aura mechanic personally.

Kudos for axing phase one of Close the Gate.

I think this expansion has too many raid ending emotes. For something that severe, I think it should take more than one person to fail it. They have implemented that before on some events, where it took multiple fails. The whole "giant DoT with silence that lasts so long a wipe is almost certain" thing is obnoxious and should take more than a single person to trigger in my opinion.

The ticks' melee on Primal Vampire is too high and thier teleportation is unfair. There were people on beta insisting thier melee was fine and I strongly disagree unless semi-random DT was the intended outcome. The event functions; but if the melee was meant to be of minor concern it's just plain not.
    Metanis and Syylke_EMarr like this.
  15. Qimble Augur

I'm pretty sure we won't see that again anytime soon because of what happened with Sontalak. I know they did not like that the go-to strat was just pop every burn and useless swarm pet clickie and lag the server so that the drakes would never get to the raid and the aura wouldn't move at all.

I don't mind enrage timers as a general thing, but I've probably been trained by other MMOs to expect them as the default. Agree that it's nice they're soft enrages this expansion, because before we got more practice in, got our gear and DPS up we were *deep* into enrage timers on most of our FTK's. Some of that is self-inflicted (killing the chainers on oubliette to give us more room to work with) and some is not (going into a raid down 2 DPS groups)

We are often tank heavy so we use improved taunts on ticks attacking DPS and the clickie items when they target healers, we encourage everyone who can to pop a dragon glyph when the first wave spawns, then we MGB runes for the tick spawn(s) where that glyph has expired. I agree their teleportation / movement / push mechanic is terrible. As a hybrid I also strongly dislike that the debuff the ticks puts on me makes it so I effectively can't cast spells. Guess I should be aug'ing for h-wis? lol
    Syylke_EMarr likes this.
  16. Zunnoab Augur

I do wonder this. Take the Funeral Dirge nerf for example. For my guild, it will likely be a small annoyance. For others, it could be devastating depending on the event.

Not IL, but when I was raiding Empires of Kunark they implemented a series of nerfs that virtually kicked my guild back four months in progression. We were close to beating T2 and they nerfed several classes making the first phase of vault nearly impossible for us despite almost beating the event. They also heavily nerfed mana recovery.

Then they altered the Queen to make her outright kill her minions rather than heavily damaging them, dramatically increasing the difficulty for guilds that didn't help her finish them off. They then staggered huge DoT debuff casts on a certain add type, making them even worse (which was the opposite of what they were trying to do).
    They directly changed mob names which I took as mocking the raid forces this devastated, adding "lol" to them, to this day as far as I know. I think that's the closest I came to quitting this game, seeing months of progress erased facing mobs with "lol" added to thier names.

I was a raid leader seeing 3-4 months of progress down the drain with multiple friends quitting. What was probably meant as a silly joke was outright cruel to me. There is little chance they had any idea what they were doing to the mid tier. If they did, the change to the Queen to add "lol" was heartless.

Someone told me that was due to thier being aware of an exploit unrelated to the captain changes but it was shocking to me.
    Stymie likes this.
  17. Qimble Augur

I feel ya on that, I'm not sure exactly how much it will hurt us but I know it will. One of the things some of my guildies have worked their off this expansion is trying to get all the SKs and Bards in line with rotating through those to have good uptime. I think (I don't put the groups together or pay too much attention to makeup of non-tanks) we average 5 or 6 bards and 4 SKs per raid night, so we can keep stuff rolling pretty well through an event.
  18. Syylke_EMarr Augur

It does seem that opinion on Shei is largely dependent on your class. As a knight (especially SK since we have no banes for this event), I'm either tanking Shei or doing nothing useful other than dodging auras. Super engaging event. :rolleyes:
    Qimble likes this.
  19. zleski Augur

I play an Enchanter primarily and a Necromancer secondarily and on my Enchanter I'm usually on the floor, baning. I find Shei to be very stressful. For those on the floor, and especially those responsible for baning, constant vigilince is required for a good 5-6 minutes (for my primary raid team) and double that (for the secondary team). One must be on the lookout for the pathers and the location of the aliens to bring to bane. One misstep and 54 people lose out on the achievement. The first time around it took us a handful of tries, with a skeleton crew, to get it right.

Shei runs the range of being incredibly dull from the one cleric healing the one tank, to very stressful.

Don't get me wrong, I REALLY like this event because it's a pure mechanics event, but man, oh man, does this one stress me out.
  20. Zunnoab Augur

I forgot to mention I absolutely love the bane mechanics this expansion.

I'd like to see events bring back melee type and resist type weaknesses again too.
    Qimble and zleski like this.