Tempest Temple "Clearer Skies" mission much harder now

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Chordling, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Motherlee Augur

You have it backwards. They are in Gribbles BECAUSE that's the only content they can handle, whether it's time, skill, gear constraints. By defining harder content as 'real,' you are marginalizing other players. What needs to be done is to make sure the bulk of the content is aimed at the bulk of the players. DBG has that information. Locking zones behind progression that is too hard for the median player is a bad idea. Making content HARDER 3/4 of the way though the year is the worst idea.
  2. Motherlee Augur

Oh yeah, chanter punt not working in Erudin Burning. What's up with that?
  3. sojero One hit wonder

I don't want to sound mean and never advocate people leaving eq, but if gribbles are the top end of their play, EQ really isnt the game for them. There is so much more to the game than those.
  4. Motherlee Augur

We need them.
  5. Triconix Augur

I agree with this. Gribbles are beyond easy. If this is the limit to a player's abilities then they need to find a class they can play better or try and learn. If neither of these is possible they should probably just quit while they're ahead (or way behind, in this case).
  6. Laronk Augur

So I just did this mission again, what you can do is just stand to the side and kill one at a time. This is how I did it when I 2 boxed a bst and cleric they;re rooted and you don't need to stand in the middle of them.
  7. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Not all groups are created equal. And it doesn't really affect the point that you do not make content harder later in the contents lifespan because short of level increases it becomes even harder to get groups and do.
    And this group you follow they all just recently did this in the last couple of weeks? Dang they are busy and to be honest if they did that much since the changes they are not anything close to your average group of casuals so I don't think they are a good example.

There is a far larger range of player skill in the casual game then the raid game and raiders that do get somewhat carried along in raids benefit from raid gear so even the slackers can do better in group content do to their gear.

At one end of the casual game are the high end casuals who play the game well and treat the game much like a mini raid game making sure they know all their strats. Some are boxers some are molers and groupers. My first run through the content I six boxed it. Boxing has its own limitations but for harder progresion I sat there and figured out timing and strats to deal with things. High end grouping I can breeze through some stuff with other high end groupers... that being said a LOT of high end groupers take advantage of open raids so like me they end up in CotF T1 and T2 gear... makes life A LOT easier let me tell you. On my server I find high end casuals with no raid gear the exception unless they an alt.

Its the mid tier and lower casuals and those that have only leveled up recently that have issues with TDS content as far as I have seen. They are usually depending on mercs to some extent because there are simply not that many looking for groups for progression. Well all know mercs in TDS are problematic. They may not be as up on strats etc or in planning out encounters they need to get through in large part because of the pick up nature of their groups. Pick up groups of casuals are not all hard core peeps.. those peeps usually have fixed groups of people they play with. These players struggle more with the content.

And in the end I guess it is fine to say too bad you aren't good enough don't do the content. But the reality of it is that we NEED more players to be buying and wanting to play the content produced. I think eight months after progression required content is released it should be made easier not harder. We need these mid tier casuals engaged and enjoying everquest and paying for their All Access accounts or at the very least being FTP and making marketplace subscriptions.

Live servers need as many all access subscriptions as possible. Like it or not we are in competition with the TLPs for dev time and resources. TLPs give more bang for the buck atm so they are the favored child. I only see the raid game from the outside with my only participation open raids. Still I see the raid game as healtier then the casual game right now. At least on Xegony the casual game is not doing well at all to me a lot of that is due to the recent expasions and the RoF Exp nerf. Yeah smart high end players would take advantage previous expansions mass killing for better exp but it was also home to the more casuals who wanted a less intense experience. And TDS was a bad expansion for the more casuals.

Heh heh no one is going to read this long message but oh well. We need to look after the more casual players too because they help keep this game afloat and help keep dev resources focused on the live server.... just saying and just my opinion.
    Motherlee likes this.
  8. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

But of course the issue of this thread is you DO NOT make the content harder 8 or 9 months into it because the players that wanted the challenge finished the content several months ago. Those consuming the content currently are mainly those more casual players who also deserve some attention. If anything they should ease up on the difficulty of an expansion 8 or nine months into it or even ease up once the new expansion is releases.

OR

One a new expansion comes out do something that makes the previous expansions content easier for any who buy the new expansion. That way you get the more casuals buying the new expansion to make the previous expansion easier for them plus you get the high end players buying the new expansions for the current content. Win/Win. How you do this I haven't put any thought into but I think its an interesting idea.
    Yimin likes this.
  9. Endless Augur

I three boxed Clearer Skies yesterday. war/cleric/enchanter and 3x caster mercs. TDS T3 group geared, no raid gear at all.

Honestly, I thought it was really easy. As someone earlier noted all the mobs are rooted. I am not sure they were before, but they are now. My enchanter couldn't mez any of them, but....they are all rooted. Just don't stand next to them.
  10. Motherlee Augur

You're right.

I guess they can't see past the end of their noses. Let the game die. I'm out of breath. If I see one more man post about how easy all this stuff is, I'll throw up all over my keyboard. Better yet, HIS keyboard! :-Q
  11. Agrippa Augur

@Endless You were also two tiers overgeared for the content.

I haven't done the mission since the changes, but I rather like it when the spells and abilities of the given class that I'm playing work properly, with few exceptions. It's reaching the point now where the average trash mob has boss immunities and abilities.

Regardless of how easy an expansion is, skilled players are always able to find ways to challenge themselves and push their groups to their limits. Can the same be said of players on the other end being able to progress their characters?
    Motherlee likes this.
  12. Chordling New Member

Any pair of 105s + mercs could beat this mission in its current form. That's not the issue here.
    When I first did this mission I was a returning player (6 years absent) and leveling in latent etheric gear.
    My bard and my wizard were both 102 and I was using a tank merc and a heal merc, so positioning a tank merc on the edge so he only agros 1 mob was not an option.
    With that group and careful mezzing and setting my wizard as puller so the mercs came over to the island with me, I was able to just scrape through the mission, I very much enjoyed the difficulty and it gave me confidence to keep going with progression.
    This is the issue, if I turned back the clock and was doing this again, there is no way in hell I would get through it in its current form with the team and tactics I used.
    Please stop posting that you can do this with a full group of 105s.
    That's completely irrelevant.
    This mission for people still leveling with low aa has jumped an order of magnitude in difficulty - simply due to lack of ability to mez the mobs.
  13. Coronay Augur

Lack of ability to mez... When I first did this mission I had no mezzer and tanked all the mobs on the island in latent etheric at 101.

Got the time trial and challenge of toughness. Mezzer would've made it easier ya of course but it wasn't hard.
  14. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

And yet many others had problems So no raid geared toons? I saw an awful lot of players do all their leveling in CotF before going to TDS. So grats on doing it at 101. You don't raid have no raid gear and are just an average skilled group player? Unless you feel your abilties are at the average group level how you finished the task in what gear is not as relevant in my mind but you are free to disagree.

Those who are completing progression "now" are on average not the hard chargers or high end skilled players who were doing the progression when it first game out. They are more likely to be relying on mercs and groups that are not the best balanced. And the simple fact they have held back or had problems getting through progression says something.

I don't want to make Everquest super easy. But you don't make the content harder after the most skilled players have completed it and their are far fewer chances for full or well balanced groups. How they screwed that up by accident I have a hard time imagining but I guess its possible.. Someone mixed up the flags the inmunities I guess.

A
    Xeladom and Motherlee like this.
  15. Duhbeast Augur

An A in your signature Cor. I'm confused, are you Absor logged into a different account with the same signature? :cool:
  16. Coronay Augur

Hmmmm oops. I don't even see an A lol o_O

letshee if it happens again.
  17. Coronay Augur

I agree with what your saying that they should not make it harder months down the line. I guess I just think there should be a better example of them making it harder for people as this mission is probably the easiest group mission in TDS even after the changes.

Wish more people would spend the time to put together groups to do the content instead of having content tuned to the worst 2 combo classes and a clr/tank merc. People expect their clr/tank merc to be able to do all the content and when it can't I guess they just give up and go back to gribble.
    Motherlee likes this.
  18. Motherlee Augur

Stuff in the Grounds that used to be puntable is now immune to run speed changes.
  19. madiaxe New Member

20. madiaxe New Member

“- Reviewed the majority of enemies in Call of the Forsaken and The Darkened Sea zones with regards to immunity to runspeed changes, mesmerization, stun, lull, charm, and fear, and removed or relaxed restrictions on most NPCs.”

wasnt this the initial point of the thread that they promised one thing and did totally the opposite. Nothing to do with easier or harder