Tempest Temple Big Fish group task

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by lancelove, Apr 2, 2016.

1. lancelove Augur

Can a dev take a look at this?? I decided to go back and do some of the old expansion tasks for some of the vitality stuff etc.. and came across this one. Big Fish. All I can say is wow! With a max aa Ranger, Mage, Wizzy and Enchanter, all lvl 105, it took us 3 wipes before we even got the namer to spawn, and at that point we were spent on burns, and the adds kept coming!
    The first run I thought it was a mistake, after the second I was digging the challenge and after the third time I was like WOW! Fourth time we just opened it all up and got to the namer but with the adds coming non stop ... definately not a group task, and for that zone non the less!
  2. mackal Augur

I did it with 6 actual PCs (not 105 at the time) and just a bard doing CC. It wasn't the easiest, but didn't wipe :/
  3. Gumby Augur

While it is a hard task, that's pretty awful with the classes you have attempting it. Those things should melt with that dps.
    Fatrat, Geri_Petrovna and Iila like this.
  4. Geri_Petrovna Augur

How many of the 3 players were afk, at any given moment? Your mercs could almost do this by themselves.
    Fatrat likes this.
  5. Rakknar Elder

First the mission is easy. It does not need to be changed.

Just did it for my ranger alt on 3/30/16. I also boxed my bard which does not cc. Had a mage with. We used a wizard merc on balanced and 2 cleric mercs (because dps wasn't an issue).

We literally steamrolled this mission. It took 11 mins 30 seconds. There was a total of 58 mobs.

My ranger sustained 52669 dps.

Your group should be more powerful, theoretically. Being max level and max AA does not equal being max dps. It seems like each member of your team could use a little practice and some parsing.

One trick to bearing it is ignore any adds when named finally pops.

Before the haters chime in remember this. Eq gets a lot easier when people can actually dps and play their characters correctly.

Chromatic haze plus wizard...
    Geri_Petrovna and Fatrat like this.
  6. Zamiam Augur

math does not compute
  7. Reval Augur

I am a strong proponent of video for showing in game issues or problems that people come across. I would like to bring up that not only in this case, but also in the case of every class being too powerful/not powerful enough, video would easily show the situation so that people could point out any issues, or if they are wrong about something they could see what they are wrong about easily (say the mobs in this got ninja retuned and are not 10x the hp and hit 5x as hard).
  8. Aghinem Augur

You are just getting DPS checked. Did it with 3 SKs, A shammy, wizard, healer.
  9. Fatrat New Member

Fact 1: Basically what Rakknar said, max level/AA is completely meaningless if the player behind the toon isn't any good. It's actually an extremely common issue in this game which has only been exacerbated by the brain-dead ease of Gribble, etc. People don't have to be good so they usually just aren't.
    Fact 2: As Aghinem stated, this mission is basically a dps check, although you could probably grind it out with a good tank/healer combo and lackluster dps.
    Fact 3: You had an extremely dps-heavy group which was technically capable of obliterating this mission with ease, assuming people knew how to play their classes decently.

Sorry to say this, but when you add it all up it's quite obvious that most -- if not all -- of the people in your group are pretty awful at playing their classes (either that or they were afk). By all means, get Gamparse and check it yourself - you'll probably be shocked and dismayed at the results. If any or all of those classes you mentioned (Ranger, Wizard, Mage, Enchanter) aren't significantly out-damaging dps mercs by at least a factor of 2 or more on an event like this (and judging by your problems with this mission I think this is a very safe bet), they're doing something seriously wrong. I'll say it again because it bears repeating: that is a very common problem in this game.

P.S. I was the mage in Rakknar's group (/wave - this obviously isn't my main account). My mage is an alt who's really lousy at dps compared to my main, and we still easily smoked that mission. And I do mean easily; there was no challenge involved whatsoever, so I never even used my burn or my pet's burn. I don't think we ever had more than 3 mobs briefly in camp at any given time except maybe during the boss phase, and we were usually twiddling our thumbs and waiting on them to spawn and come to us.
  10. Zamiam Augur

maybe the OP was boxing ? although he was saying things like we and us so maybe was a real group ..
  11. Mehdisin Mahn Augur

boxing SK, shaman, and a very gimpy rogue I was able to get the named to spawn and get him to about 30% before being overrun on my first attempt a couple of weeks ago, having never seen this task before. I'd say the task is pretty well tuned personally.

also, it's open zone content.... if you are *really* having that much of an issue, get some friends to join you... maybe bring along an actual tank... or even a knight!
  12. Brohg Augur

Really have no idea what this post could be about. I *think* three afk players with tank/healer/dps mercs would lose the event, but I'm really not sure of that. How much worse OP & friends must be than those to lose repeatedly is beyond me.
    Fatrat likes this.
  13. lancelove Augur

Yeah, i was boxing it. If any of you who did it so cleanly with a lesser group are on xegony, id love to come watch you do it.
  14. lancelove Augur

Or, if you havent done it in a bit go back and try it and let me know how you fare...the serpents were coming in 3-4 at a time towards the end, and definately not every 60 seconds...more like every 20 seconds.
  15. lancelove Augur

ok after pulling back up the hill some i figured out the serpents come in and stop in the druid ring and stay until you are ready unless you are in aggro range so it made it a bit easier than fighting on the beach. good luck! fun to box!
  16. Knight-errant Journeyman

The fight is very doable on the beach as well, if you have a tank to get aggro. The serpent adds are all mezzable, so a lvl 105 Enc should be able to keep them all locked down as they come in. Also, once the named dies, any adds still up disappear. So, when he pops up just burn him down as fast as possible.
  17. Siddar Augur

You can always get outside help for this one. Multiple group doing mission several times to get everyone flagged is the easy method of doing it.
  18. Lily Augur

Is that a new mount?
  19. Faerie Journeyman

Are you sure? Have you tried it since the CC nerf bat fell on TDS zones?
  20. Caitie New Member

Did this with 105 SK tank - 105 rogue - cleric merc - caster merc. No problem. SK locked down the adds as they came in and rogue/caster merc went to work. Tried to kill the dark blues first and the light blues were not a challenge. Assassinate for the win!