Tear vs Prize

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Petalonyx, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Petalonyx Augur

So, after almost 2 years, im nearing the end of improvements I can make for my Paladin.

Among the few things left on my list are the Tears of Alaris and the Artisans Prize.

Which one will improve Paladin tanking more? Which one should i focus on first in terms of effort vs reward?

I have 300 skills and max trophies. No special effort to TS beyond that. I'm well funded, but dont have TS mat stockpiles. Dont have PoP progression.

I understand that I may be at a disadvantage at 115 for leveling the tear due to trivial loot code. I also believe it is within the realm of possibilities that Tear tablets could be added as a modern reward via Overseer currency, since this item should not become substantially more difficult to obtain while at max lvl. Here's a recent post on it from Allakazam:

"I'm now hearing that mobs have to con light blue to get these to drop from mobs or receive as a reward from the 4 "The Word" task. I understand at level 115 that most should have this done already and i do on two toons, But Lot also have 115 toons that have not finished it. Is there any way to get them now at level 115? Can a lower level request the task and any 115 get the fragment as a reward or are these toons just screwed out of completion now? This would also be a great item to put on overseer as long as you don't price them for an absurd amount of Tetradrachms"
  2. Szilent Augur

Artisan's Prize is more valuable.
  3. dubblestack Elder

But the fully leveled tear looks cool in range or ammo slot
  4. Tucoh Augur

Prize >>>>>>>>>>>>> tear

I have the fully evolved tear of alaris, i try not to think about how little it contributes.
    Khrizen likes this.
  5. Petalonyx Augur

Thanks all. I'll move the tear to the last spot on my list!
  6. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Also, you don't have to do anything more with TSs to get benefit from the AP. You get 40% of max stats just getting the prize, and leaving the skills at 300.

Also, if you follow that great guide by Adetia, getting all the scribable books with recipes, you can get the AP to at least 50% without doing any more TSs, just scribing all the books and getting the needed AAs.

So, what you're really asking is, is Tear better than 50% of the AP?

And you also have to ask yourself, is it really an either/or? Best way to casually max the Tear is to do the four quests in Pillars, and collect the drops (forget the name) which can be converted to Tear XP. You can work that in when you feel like it, instead of just doing one thing all of the time.
    minimind likes this.
  7. Funky Augur

artisan's prize is way more beneficial...

i dont see the tablets for the tear being added to overseer, as much of a pain in the butt it was to farm them and evolve it.. i'm sure it will stay that way. except now the only real way to get tablets is to have someone lower level in the group where they'll be dropable, and doing the pillar's tasks (given you are 115)
  8. Tatanka Joe Schmo

The drop rate on the tablets was always abysmal, anyway. Just do the 4 quests in Pillars once in a while, when the mood hits you, and eventually it'll be done.
  9. Petalonyx Augur

I like the idea of getting AP to 50% with scribed books. That just made my day :D

For the tear... can a 115 still get the tablets from the mission reward? The post i linked in OP questioned whether this was still possible.

Are the tablets no drop?

Does having a lower level in the group cancel the trivial loot code that is causing problems at level 115?
  10. Khrizen New Member

Do the AP first 100% it's the most beneficial, next though is shawl aug with 850 rune proc'ed off of dodge.

One and or both of those will yield 10x or more of the value of tear. Tear is great for sure, but not as good as it looks at first. Most of the bonuses it gives are already capped, it's only the def skill that counts and yes a little more dodge is great. Really though, are you dodging more than 6% of the time long term?

I don't think that makes it worth 85k hp worth of rune for an xp mob, and I'm sure it's not worth millions of hp worth of rune on a raid mob(s) depending on fight time.
  11. Stephen51 Augur

I did the light tower task last week, straight kill task in shadow tower with a mix of 111-115 toons. All got the fragment as a reward. Nothing appears to have changed, including the lack of reward for those not in group/zone when the hail is done.

My two peneth. Although I wouldn't be without my tear, the Artisan's Prize is by far the best aug in the game, even at 40%.
  12. p2aa Augur

Artisan's Prize is more valuable than Tear.
  13. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Shawl aug is worthless now. Its just a subpar ac aug.

Go actually parse it. It just doesn't almost ever proc, particularly in raids, because you don't dodge hardly at all anymore.
    Tucoh likes this.
  14. josh Augur

it procs, went off about 60 times on raids last night. We dodge extremely often, even in raids, the mob just strikes through it. The skill activates, and the rune procs, you just get hit anyway.

I do think it's very weak at this point, an 850 rune was weak when it was new. probably still better than the ac you'd get for swapping it out though.
  15. Tucoh Augur

I'll never get rid of my shawl aug even when I could replace it with a 1,000 AC aug. It coerced me down the path of EQ tradeskilling and I have stockholm syndrome.
    Tatanka, dreadlord and Nennius like this.
  16. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Two expansions ago I noticed I never saw the buff anymore. I searched my logs and saw no procs. I tested it, saw no procs.

Maybe there was something else going on at the time, who knows. But considering even with the proc I was already considering dropping it, still won't use it even if it did proc.

60 times in 4? hours or whatever? Not worth losing all the other heroics.
  17. Nennius Curmudgeon

And my Artisan's Prize helped to give me a mild form of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. The fun of playing EQ. :mad: