TBS flawed reward downscaling system

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Xhartor, Aug 30, 2021.

1. error Augur

I think the system missed the point of the system. Essentially all it did was make it so the longer, more difficult tasks give higher rewards which could've been easily achieved the traditional way by hard coding the rewards, but with the odd side effect of massively rewarding you for grinding hard immediately at the expansion unlock before the balancing really kicks in. Honestly it'd make more sense if the rewards were just randomized at set intervals if you wanted to get people to run a variety of tasks.

It's all kind of a moot point though, there's not going to be a TBS revamp at this stage in the game. Also SoF unlocks in like 3 weeks at which point it'll all be trivial content.
  2. Machen New Member

Hmm, so greater risk = greater reward. Sounds like they got it perfectly correct.
    Yinla likes this.
  3. error Augur

Sure, if perfectly correct means ignoring all the aforementioned problems with the system?
  4. Kodachi Augur

If the rewards were static RvR would be a thing, but its not. Silyssar missions are not 5-8x more difficult then the easiest missions but thats how big the reward difference is.
  5. Machen New Member

SO why don't people just do the silyssar missions instead of coming here to complain?

I ran them dozens of times on Phinigel precisely because they gave the best rewards.
    Waring_McMarrin likes this.
  6. Rasper Helpdesk The Original Helpdesk

Another factor is the ease of boxing. The Silyssar missions are more challenging and can require pulling, crowd control, more reactive healing, etc meaning they are more difficult when trying to manually control 2-3 characters. So the people that box stick to missions that are easy to box, and because they are worth less they must be done more often to get enough rewards, and doing them more causes them to stay bottomed out.

Personally, I like the idea of scaling rewards. But I kinda wish it was on a character basis instead of a server basis. That way if JimBob's crew ran Knowledge for Power 30 times it wouldn't impact others.

But that would mean adding 20 more things to every character's data file, so not probable.
    Skuz likes this.
  7. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

This was a good idea on a server with 6 to 12 months between expansions.

On a TLP server I don't think it is even needed.

On TLP you have a vastly higher population who are raiders, all they'll do is the access missions.

For the tiny number of players who are interested in doing the group content the system simply gives too little currency per mission for a server with 8 to 12 week unlocks.

This would have been by far the best way to do these.
  8. Machen New Member

I should have been more clear. When I said I ran them on Phinny, I meant six boxing with six computers, six mice/keyboard, and no software. I had my wife playing one character some of the time but not most.

They are challenging. They are difficult. But they are doable. Even for boxers.
  9. Machen New Member

I disagree. We shouldn't try to eliminate game mechanics from each expansion. What's even the point of progression if we just try to make every expansion the same?
    Yinla and Tweakfour17 like this.
  10. Kodachi Augur

I have 3 boxed half a dozen silyssar missions and grouped to do the rest. They aren't that much more challenging or difficult, its just dumb being stuck doing the same 2-3 missions over and over because the rewards for everything else are just terrible.

The actual damage the mobs do is almost the same as other missions people are running into the ground. I don't actually care about the currency rewards, my thing is the faction because each character has to grind it out to make use of the currency. I have literally 10k orux but can't use it till my alt hits ally and I need like 4 more of these stupid silyssar missions to do that.

I assume the reason most people don't like doing them is because you have to kill 40-50+ mobs per mission and they have over 100k hps each so if you don't go with a decently stacked dps group they are a very tedious slog.
  11. Xhartor Augur

So you are saying we shouldn't have AoC's on TLP, we should go back to original spawn/drop rates on VP, VT, key pieces?
  12. Captain Video Augur

It was designed for Live servers in-era, most of which had populations, at the time, significatly larger than Mangler is now. From what you and others have described, it's working exactly as intended, and as it originally worked in-era.

There isn't really that much spread in the difficulty of the missions, provided you're working through the overall progression of the expansion. The real problem is that very few players want to bother with the progression, so they only do the first few missions in the sequence, which pushes those rewards way down. That doesn't make them "easy" compared to the rest.
  13. Xhartor Augur

Mangler has a much larger population of raid gears characters with max AA's then Live servers had in era. Which impacts the speed at which these get completed. Most of us will be moving on from the content when SoF drops on the 9/22.

No changes are likely to impact this while it's in Era on Mangler. The fact still remain that it's poorly designed system for TLP player base, and should be changed to fit the condensed time table. There has have many other changes to fit the difference between Live and TLP player bases.
  14. Captain Video Augur

Post that statement in the Veteran's forum where all the Live players can see it, and you'll get laughed out of the zone. If you and your friends are all raid-geared, why are you complaining about group content? The whole point of these missions is to provide some progression path for players who aren't raiding.
  15. Xhartor Augur

What single live server had 10 guilds clearing Solteris?
    I remember playing live during SoF, and bulk of the player base population didn't have have anguish gear. The not the case when TLP's hit this content.

Orux is used for purity augs which goes the raid armor from Solteris.
  16. Captain Video Augur

Orux is used to buy group-level purity augs, socket type 13. Phosphite is used to buy raid-level purity augs, socket type 14. The last time I looked, TBS gear did not let you mix the socket types for vendor-purchased augs. If you already have raid gear, why are you wasting time farming for augs of the wrong socket type??
  17. Xhartor Augur

18. Captain Video Augur

Then I am mis-remembering what was on each vendor. 1000 Orux for the top-tier raid purity aug is a huge bargain, never mind the fact that anyone in raid gear should be able to plow through those high-return group missions with ease. The one where you watch the NPC use the teleporter is a sleepwalk once you learn and memorize the safe spots, and that one should always be high return because nobody else does it.
  19. Machen New Member

AoC's didn't remove mechanics, they added options. But for what it's worth, I was against them before they released. I'm ok with them now.

Key piece spawn rate? I don't really care about the spawn times as long as you still have to do the full quest and have to spend significant amounts of time on each piece. If they eliminate the keys altogether, yeah, I'd be against that, for the same reasons.

None of those completely eliminate any mechanic that is unique to a single expansion.
  20. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

In era I never even bothered grinding out Orux for the Purity augs, it was of such a small benefit the time sink was just not worth it, on a 6-12 month unlock like live was it was worth it just because you have four times as long to play in the same gear so even a tiny boost was worth it.

If people want to grind out those on a 8-12 week unlock that's cool but it's a far less important an upgrade than they think.

I'm fine for the up/down scale system to remain actually but as with most other currency systems in EQ - when they hit TLP servers they should grant higher rates, much like raid currencies were changed also.