TBL wizard burn potential.

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Critts, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Vizier Augur

I'm curious: does anyone else have a different burn cycle for when they are just burning in exp groups?

Is there a guesstimate for how much dps increase you get going from ROS > TBL gear?
  2. kizant Augur

I haven't gotten a chance to replace the google service for creating URLs since it's no longer supported. But for a vanilla burn with all the basic druid/enc ADPS and new procs and with Luck and some increases to spell damage it's a little under 10%.

For a group/sustained case I'm sure it's a decent bit lower. You can go try out any scenario you want. It'll be pretty close for this sort of comparison.

[IMG]

RoS:

[IMG]
  3. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

I put into place on my recent to 110 wiz box the spell sequence Kizant proposed and there was a definite uptick in dps. Also an uptick in being LOM but that is AA and gear and nature of the beast classwise. Also I have yet to aug that character.
  4. kizant Augur

Definitely get the evocation Aug. It still helps a lot.
  5. Renotaki Elder

Okay, so we asked for "real world" situation Wizard burst parses, so I'd like to contribute to that now. I know that Kizant is lacking the full ADPS platter so I'd figure I'd put this out here. Also, I'd qualify "burst" burns as minute or less, and I know this is roughly double the time so do with that what you will. Sadly, I don't yet have level five evolving gloves. As stated earlier, I STILL don't have the new evolving item proc augs in (I have the raid ones in my bags, no group ones yet). :( This should be fixed pretty soon when i get the time. Also, I didn't receive Quick Time on this burn. Otherwise, this should be pretty close to optimal wizard burning.

Also, in the spirit of this being a "burn potential" thread, I hit everything on Ecclesiastic to get a measuring stick of a wizard on full blast- that means I hit Arcane Destruction, Frenzied Devastation, and Glyph of Destruction even though I would normally save these for later to prioritize sustained dps by staggering the crit chance out later. The enchanter hotswapped Bolstering Aura for Twincast once ITC/ spell Twincast went down. I had both the Mana repetition aura and the normal Mana repetition at the same time. Keeping these factors in mind- Wizard burst will be lower when you are focusing on sustained DPS.

The group makeup was: Wizard
    Wizard
    Bard
    Enchanter
    Druid
    Mage

Ralaifin Ecclesiastic on 4/11/2019

/GU Ralaifin Ecclesiastic in 151s, 140.0m @927024 | Renotaki + pets 140.0m@(927.0k in 151s) {GB}

Renotaki - 85
    --- Arcane Fury III - 1
    --- Bifold Focus - 1
    --- Blazing Infiltration - 1
    --- Call of Xuzl XVIII - 1
    --- Claw of Qunard Rk. III - 4
    --- Cloudburst Thunderbolt Rk. III - 2
    --- Dissident Fire - 1
    --- Ethereal Braid - 5
    --- Ethereal Icefloe Rk. III - 7
    --- Ethereal Skyfire Rk. III - 12
    --- Focus of Arcanum VI - 1
    --- Force of Flame IX - 5
    --- Force of Ice IX - 6
    --- Force of Will XXI - 10
    --- Forceful Rejuvenation - 1
    --- Frostbound Covenant Rk. III - 3
    --- Fury of the Gods LI - 1
    --- Glyph of Destruction IV - 1
    --- Improved Twincast VII - 1
    --- Lower Element III - 13
    --- Mana Burn XVII - 1
    --- Received Bard Epic - 1
    --- Received Black Wolf - 1
    --- Received Chromatic Haze - 1
    --- Received Fierce Eye - 1
    --- Received Illusions of Grandeur - 1
    --- Stormjolt Vortex Rk. III - 6
    --- Weave of Reclamation - 1

Produced by GamParse v2.0.0.75 BETA
    [IMG]
    Tucoh, Critts, Drogba and 3 others like this.
  6. kizant Augur

That is a good parse.
    Drogba likes this.
  7. Drogba Augur

haven't played my wizard much lately, but nice parse i think renotaki. Is you looking for guild? :p
    Renotaki and Sancus like this.
  8. Renotaki Elder

I've been in the same guild for a bit more than five years. I'm still content enough here to stay, and I suppose there is a factor of loyalty too. If that changes and I'm looking for another guild then ROI would be my first choice to apply to. I've thought about it before
  9. Critts Augur

It is nice to have an ADPS burn vs a non ADPS burn for comparisons sake. It’s interesting to see how close the numbers are to the non ADPS burn tho I would really like to see the burn at its peak DPS. I wonder if it was over 1000k?
  10. Renotaki Elder

At peak DPS, sure. Also as Kizant mentioned up above, the DPS looks similar only because you get *all* the shocking and Mana Burn charges by yourself in the GGH. Also the parse up above was much longer than the one in the GGH so ITC/ Twincast had faded for quite a while.

If you are really interested in that 1 mil benchmark, then I have another parse that shows over 1 mil on the spell breakdown DPS under similar circumstances. This was another event that I hit everything on instead of staggering crit chance (this time just because of the event run time, rather than just to get a parse out for this thread).

This is with the same group makeup as the first parse. However, we only had two wizards in raid this time. I should have been able to fumigate two Covenants during ITC - I cast it twice. Unfortunately, we hit the debuff limit on the mob so my second one bounced. So, this could have been a bit higher.

Also, I'm really not sure why it said I received "Cry Havoc". Perhaps someone accidentally TGB'ed it to our group, if Berzerkers are able to do that (which in itself would be odd that they aren't using Cry Carnage).

/GU Mechagnomic Whirlrender in 81s, 80404k @992640 | Total 80404k@(992.6k in 81s)
    -- This is the first phase of this burn before he flew away.

Mechagnomic Whirlrender on 4/14/2019

Renotaki - 51
    --- Arcane Destruction V - 1
    --- Arcane Fury III - 1
    --- Call of Xuzl XVIII - 1
    --- Cryomancy XXVII - 1
    --- Ethereal Braid - 3
    --- Ethereal Icefloe Rk. III - 4
    --- Ethereal Skyfire Rk. III - 8
    --- Focus of Arcanum VI - 1
    --- Force of Flame IX - 3
    --- Force of Ice IX - 3
    --- Force of Will XXI - 5
    --- Forceful Rejuvenation - 1
    --- Frenzied Devastation XXX - 1
    --- Frostbound Covenant Rk. III - 2
    --- Fury of the Gods LI - 1
    --- Glyph of Destruction IV - 1
    --- Improved Twincast VII - 1
    --- Lower Element III - 5
    --- Mana Burn XVII - 1
    --- Received Auspice of the Hunter - 1
    --- Received Black Wolf - 1
    --- Received Chromatic Haze - 1
    --- Received Chromatic Haze Proc - 1
    --- Received Cry Havoc - 2
    --- Received Fierce Eye - 1
    --- Received Illusions of Grandeur - 1
    --- Received Paragon - 1
    --- Received Quick Time - 1
    --- Received Twincast - 0
    --- Second Spire of Arcanum IV - 1
    --- Silent Casting VI - 1
    --- Stormjolt Vortex Rk. III - 3
    --- Twincast Rk. III - 1
    --- Weave of Reclamation - 1

Produced by GamParse v2.0.0.75 BETA

[IMG]
    I guess Ethereal Braid really liked Ethereal Volley on this burn
  11. Renotaki Elder

Also I can't edit on mobile (or can't find where) but also forgot to mention we didn't have Bolstering Aura up during the course of ITC/ Twincast that time, so that could have made it a bit higher too.
    Critts likes this.
  12. Sancus Augur

If serverside lag wasn't so egregious during the initial 60-70 seconds of a raid burn, 1 mil + DPS would be more consistently achievable. It's once in a blue moon that you actually get a relatively lag-free burst fight. Everyone's DPS would go up in that case, but if you want to compare raid parses to combat dummy parses you have to keep that in mind. And the lag disproportionately affects the duration of the Global Cooldown (and pets :( ).
    Travestii and Renotaki like this.
  13. Critts Augur

Yea, I noticed that. That’s kind of what made me wonder how high the spike was. Great parse no matter.
  14. kizant Augur

So, this is what my parse looks like for Rustbottom with my FV wizard where we usually have a lot of lag. Tonight wasn't too bad though and I think I get numbers in the same ballpark as above. For the first 80 ish seconds I can sort of keep 1 million dps but then it starts to fall fairly quick. I had druid/bard/enc but my Wiz is behind a bit on that server. I don't have any of the new dps augs or the new 2h and I think I'm even missing some AAs. Besides the missing procs my spell breakdown is similar to my other posts.

Also, I'm not really sure what the goal is or why 1 million has come up a few times. I wouldn't really consider that a great burn for a number of classes. It's more like a minimum I would think for a decent burn.

Magelo for this wiz if you're interested.
    https://eq.magelo.com/profile/3695973

Rustbottom, Grinder of Gears in 219s, 2. Kazint = 155.20M@725.22K in 214s

For the chart I plot current DPS at the time when damage is seen.

[IMG]
    Alarya, Renotaki and Sancus like this.
  15. Renotaki Elder

Honestly, I think that's probably the big takeaway for wizard burst right now. Even if you execute it right and have full support, what's solid numbers for a wizard can be outdone pretty soundly be a few other classes. In a way, I think us falling behind has a lot to do with how our burns are built right now. A lot of our burns last a while. Our "burn time" can be made to last even longer if you stagger crit chance. While that's nice, it also means upgrades tend to be more suited as longer parses.

Improved Twincast is a burst burn ability essentially, but we already run spell twin-cast/ Improved Twincast for the length of a burst parse more or less so further upgrades can't increase our burst anymore because a twincast is always simply just that. Second spire also has a pretty small up-time compared to our normal burn timers, but I wouldn't count on it being upgraded because I think when wizards brought up a second spire upgrade a few years ago, the response was along the lines of "You know we already made your second spire too good, right?". Or so I hear from my wizard friend.

That's mainly why I think we need a new focused burst damage burn for wizards. I already threw out my suggestion for that up above, there may be a few good answers to the issue but I just don't know what they could mess with on our current burns to noticeably increase burst while also not inflating our already decent raid sustained damage. I'd be careful not to try to ask for something that's too good, because that can easily get the class nerfed and leave us even worse off than where we started. I think we all know how that ride goes by now.
    kizant likes this.
  16. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

Excellent information and discussion here btw. Really appreciate the detailed parses (you don't see other classes posting parses like these). And they have helped me be a better wizard on raids.

Personally, I think a focus on burst dps is flawed for wizards right now because of the current bias towards melee versus casting in the game, particularly in the rate of resists (both high resists mobs and negative changes to caster debuffs). In a vacuum, a new critical damage increase would be welcome...but I worry that focusing power into a 20 minute aa, we just invite a "balance" addition for the melee side that will end up putting us behind further. I also don't like long refresh abilities that start not being up if your raid force is moving fast (either between events or wiping).

I'd rather see changes in our current abilities - like eliminating counters for ITC, AD, and FD with slightly reduced ability times - that give bigger benefits to wizards who are really on their game. I would love to see mana burn be the premier single damage ability in the game again (but I don't think that will ever happen with the current devs). I would like for Arcane Fusion to matter (1 percent of damage on a burn parse seems small to me). I would like the spell type on our synergy removed so all spells are affected. I think you get the idea...

If we were to get something new, I would want it to be vanilla...as in a +X% critical damage increase for Y seconds. All the abilities that tend to be cute are either not worth it or end up too powerful and get changed to not worth it.
    Xurn and kizant like this.
  17. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

As a side note, I don't have the Eyes of Life and Decay (I wasn't raiding TBM through EoK) and I have yet to convince my guildmates that going back for it would be fun and exciting for them.

Through Kizant's web app, I'm seeing about a 6 percent change in dps with and without. Is that still accurate?
  18. kizant Augur

It won't help AA nukes or procs and effectiveness is slightly less helpful than increasing base damage directly. Considering a lot of our dps comes from procs I think 6% is definitely reasonable.

That's another issue though. That item won't be useful for much longer and impacts certain classes much more than others. It may end up making some balance issues even worse than they are right now.
  19. Endaar Augur

I'm glad you posted this. It's been driving me nuts that on some of these raids my multibinds are hanging up (typically on Braid or Dissident), and I've been trying to figure out if something was wrong. If it's just the hamsters running slowly then I guess there's not much to do about it.
    Travestii likes this.
  20. Travestii Elder

Once you start looking at this you'll realize that any of the spells can hang up a multibind, the longer recast spells are just more noticeable. I see claw hang up frequently also, its refresh is just shorter so it's not as noticeable. Although the slow hamsters may have something to do with it, I'm starting to think more and more that the multibind hangup is caused by a failure of the server to recognize that a spell has been cast and is on cooldown, because the multibind simply won't give up trying to cast a particular spell once it hangs, you've got to manually mash a spellbar gem to override it. EVEN THEN, once you have cast a spell or 2 from the spellbar, if the spell that the multibind was stuck on has not refreshed, your multibind will go directly back to trying to cast that same friggin spell.

Yes, it drives me bat $#!7 crazy.