Tank Gears Questions

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Stephen51, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Stephen51 Augur

I'm 110. Max AA, All expansions, and in that twilight area of between group and raid gear, sadly mainly group gear these days.

I avoided calling it Paladin Gear Questions, partly because the answers I need maybe available or best for any of the task classes, but also because Paladin threads seem to leave a bad taste in some peoples mouth. Enough reverse-trolling, on to the questions....

1. What type 3 aug would you put in your shield. I realise this is going to be mainly paladin related due to the more recent ones are spell/disc specific. I don't use my shield all the time, so I don't really want to put anything in there that I will miss when I switch to a 2 hander, like the dodge aug for instance.
    2. Now that I've maxed my Alaran Tear, is there anything useful I can put in my ammo slot?
  2. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Don’t ride a unicorn, but as a knight I usually go with the type3 for challenge spell line in my shield. The reasoning is it’s not something cast as often when in dps mode and it’s impact is pretty minor even when I do, so that missing tick is not a big deal. Seen others use dot focuses too for the less used dot lines.

Regarding ammo, it’s purely aesthetic at this point, no? Hero’s Sigil of teh Council all the way!
  3. Wulfhere Augur

Type 3 aug for shields - Some choose Enchanted Stone of Burning Rage, because HStr adds to shield mitigation. HStr doesn't need to be in the shield slot to have this benefit, just that if you're wielding the shield then you might as well have +1AC or so. By way of comparison, it takes 510 HStr to equal the 35AC that you should have in your Type 5 shield slot.

Ammo slot doesn't support most stats, just skill mods like +defense. Many top end tanks convert the Tear back to an item once they are ready to replace it with another Type 3 aug.
  4. Livvy_CT Elder

Definitely ride a unicorn, it makes you look significantly cooler than the knuckle dragging SKs
  5. shiftie Augur

I have the 35 ac aug in my slot 5 and hstr aug in my type 3.

I don’t have the type 3 spell augs in my gear because I’m lazy and their impact is marginal. Min maxing to that effect at this point in my eq career just isn’t a priority and I don’t struggle so the investment is meh.

A slot 3 spell aug might not be with it but if not going for defense the sod +bash might make sense if you aren’t capped since it is a shield after all. I treat my shield as max defense so hstr made sense.
  6. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

I think the type 3 spell augs (for any/every spell you cast) are a lot more valuable than the hstr aug. If you have type 3 slots left over AFTER getting the spell augs for all the spells you use, hstr is better than nothing.

I think @Sheex has the best advice (use a type 3 aug for a spell that you don't normally cast while using a 2h).

I think I have a +Bash type 3 in my shield.
  7. Maedhros High King

Type 3's and the ammo slot are pretty irrelevant for the most part.
    Aside from the big time ones like Eyes of Life and Decay, Tears of Alaris and Stone of Judgement, the rest can get snuffed for all I care.
    As you can see in my magelo, I have no type 5 in my shield, but paladins get very pathetic selection of type 3 augs from the spell venders.
    As for putting the Tears of Alaris in your ammo slot... terrible idea. Ammo is for arrows.

Spend your energy maxxing out literally anything else rather than worrying about type 3s.
  8. Maedhros High King

Err no type 3 in my shield.
  9. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Ldon raids have some attack, regen and other things type3 usable stuff that while extemely minor, are literally better than nothing? Heck, you could rock out some bash mod augs from SoD too. Because everyone likes to bash!
  10. Wulfhere Augur

Since paladins have such trivial type 3 class augs, as Maedhros implies, and two that do not function at all, I do ignore most of them. I also have 2 or 3 Bash augs to make sure I'm at the damage cap for that.

The LDoN raid type 3 augs are mostly trivial too but their risk vs reward ratio might be better then spending 31kpp on a class aug.
  11. Maedhros High King

I am over the attack and bash caps. I suppose I could look for the regen type 3's, I actually think I have one in my bank, but 3hp regen is such a tiny insignificant drop in the bucket.
  12. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

There’s one that’s 10 regen iirc. Flowkeeper’s gem of replenishment I want to say it was.

Sk type3’s are way less sucky than unicorner ones, so I have it but don’t recall if using it or not.
  13. Wulfhere Augur

Here is the annotated list of paladin type 3 class augs that many do buy:

Salus Faycite Shard: Burst of Morninglight
    - bigger quick heal

Salus Faycite Shard: Expiation
    - bigger emergency self heal

Irae Faycite Shard: Remembrance
    Irae Faycite Shard: Brilliant Exoneration
    Irae Faycite Shard: Censure
    - bigger all purpose nukes improve still terrible DPS
    - improves +hate

Tempus Faycite Shard: Force of the Timorous Deep
    - reduces recast time by 1 second (8% quicker)
    - improves +hate frequency, so more hate over time
    - improves ability to stun lock

Irae Faycite Shard: Crush of the Timorous Deep
    Irae Faycite Shard: Crush of E'Ci
    - bigger nukes feel good, but they're really +hate spells
    - these augs do not increase hate because the spells have hate override

Durus Faycite Shard: Refute for Honor
    Tempus Faycite Shard: Hiatus
    - because you have an empty slot and 31kpp to spend

So maybe you fill up to 10 slots with these. Maybe. The remainder are:

Salus Faycite Shard: Merciful Touch
    Salus Faycite Shard: Merciful Light
    Durus Faycite Shard: Merciful Cleansing
    - because you never or rarely use these spells

Don't buy Salus Faycite Shard: Merciful Healing as it doesn't function. Known bug.

PS: You're more likely to fill up a couple of slots with level 105 TDS era augs if you often stack up nukes (Consecration) or quick heals (Burst of Dayspring).
  14. Brohg Augur

it is extremely unlikely that SPA 303 is the unique boost to any spell's damage that would change the agro it generates. Spell hate is based entirely on its base, unmodified damage.