Tank dead zone

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Treiln, Oct 24, 2022.

1. Treiln Augur

Sorry if this has been answered already, but I didn’t find anything on it:

But about when does a tank have to start really focusing on augs. When do the upgrades in just stats from gear start to no longer be sufficient?

Level range or expansion? I’m currently of the mindset that if I can get group gear, I can back track an expansion or two and be okay, and when I start getting within an expansion or two from current, that’s when I’ll need to start truly farming augs
  2. Windance Augur

I am not a tank but ... answering questions like these is nearly impossible.

The single most important thing is knowledge of the class you are playing. Someone who knows the tricks and timings will be able to do more with less. Someone who just auto attacks is going to need a lot more gear.

It also depends on what your play style and support healing is like. If you have a good cleric or shaman there healing you vs. a merc.

The best answer you're likely to get is try it and see. If you get owned ... you need more of something:

- aa
    - gear
    - knowledge of what disc/spells to use.
    - support (heals/dps)

To directly answer the question. The type 5 augs gives a lot of heroic stats. Might want to consider getting them.
    Tucoh and Treiln like this.
  3. Heimdall Elder

It also depends on the Augs. The right augs do a lot more than just any old aug. I'm just returning, and I picked up all the Heroic Augs from The Dream. After that I blew a bunch of COTF tokens on the upgraded AC Augs from there even though some were closer to side-grades.
    Treiln likes this.
  4. Shillingworth Augur

If you want to base it upon what we did during normal release cycle. It was somewhere around DoN/DoD where we really needed to focus on outfitting as many AC augs as possible and of the highest AC value possible. The AC amounts seem small individually but across an entire set of armor that's one or two extra armor pieces worth of AC you stand to gain.
    alanus and Treiln like this.
  5. Treiln Augur

Thanks for the responses guys.

1) I’ll be playing a knight. So support healing isn’t a big issue and most likely a cleric merc for the majority of it when I need it and unable to use a Rogue Merc.

2) I kind of remember being okay just having the few odds and ends augs i had picked up along the way until about RoF. I remember RoF rocking my world and going back and getting 4-5 more AC augs kind of made a big difference back in the day. Wee bit later than DoN/DoD (DoD was pretty rough too).

3) I’ll be playing on live so the current release isn’t as much of a concern as I’ll be able to out gear all that stuff up to a certain point.
  6. Tucoh Augur

I'd start with asking the questions "what am i trying to accomplish?" "What is the best way to get there?" and "what resources do I have to get there?".

If you're trying to get to level cap on live asap, the best choice is probably to limp along with as minimal AA and gear as you can afford. But that might be a drain on others and less fun than taking your time and getting gear you'll quickly grow out of and AAs that you could get faster if you leveled higher.
    Zarzac and Treiln like this.
  7. Treiln Augur

Middle ground. I’d love to get caught up to everyone, but I also want to be useful when I get there.

I currently am only playing one account. Though I do have access to multiple ones, just didn’t feel like paying/dealing for multiple accounts. I did notice I have 2 tanks at level 110. An SK in RoS t2 gear and a Warrior in straight Conflagrant gear. And a Paladin at 97. All on the same account and on a different server. So not new to tanking or the classes in general. But I’m starting anew on FV for the exp bonus.

Wonder if I need to do 2 steps forwards and 1 step back.

Hit 106, get Conflagrant gear, farm exp/augs in TDS/EoK
    Hit 110, get Snowbound gear, farm RoS/TBL
    So on and so forth.

This way upon hitting 120, I’m not completely useless and can do a little work in ToL and maybe catch NoS before the expansion is over
    minimind likes this.
  8. Tucoh Augur

Cool, you're on your way. I'd recommend adding a heroic bard and letting them level to your SK as you gain AAs and gear. With a bard you'll triple your lethality and they are very easy to box.

If you get an opportunity to get carried on the very exp rich completion achievements of ToV or ToL, it'd be worth your while to sneak in a group doing it. I'd recommend joining one of the large guilds on FV to get some help and build a social circle.
  9. Treiln Augur

Problem being: tanks are on Luclin server. Brand new start on FV.

I have had a Bard before but mainly used as a melody bot (and CC, but missed out on full potential). So I do understand the potency it would bring to my tank, but am kinda hoping to just play one account. Maybe I’ll use a bard until I get high enough to group up
  10. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

In terms of expansions & levels around Depths of Darkhollow / Level 70 is when AC Augs really start being something tanks need to think about on TLP - the Shield installable AC Aug from LDoN being something of an anomoly that you will want to focus on before then & GoD AC being more of a nice to have than absolutely essential. But you could probably be relaxed about them until Underfoot, which if you are raiding you want to have the best kit you can get going into that expansion as a tank, even on TLP that expansion will be tough on the best geared tanks.

On live it depends somewhat on whether you play alone/box or have a regular group or raid team, with the desirability for keeping up to date on augs going up in direct proportion with the difficulty of the content you are tackling.
    Treiln likes this.
  11. Treiln Augur

Well let me revise my question here. I was looking into the group armor that appears to be player made for the last few expansions a lot like that Conflagrant gear from RoS.

Would I be able to hold my own if I focused on auto-grant AAs, the player made group gear for the appropriate levels (and augs to go with it) and then the random oddball Aug I picked up from a named mob or two, while working my way to 120 and then farming AAs/augs
  12. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Conflagrant with full set of same era augs will see you okay until you can rep it with ToV where you will possibly start to struggle some.
    I'd prioritise any TBL gear you manage to find along the way for your tank as it will provide good upgrades over Conflagrant stuff, your other boxes will be okay.
  13. Ssworidss Journeyman

Honestly, my own personal rule of thumb has been to throw out the old "1AC=10HP" rule and instead say 100HP = 1 AC. I factor heroic stamina in via the HP it grants, and use that to weight AC augs vs one another. Okay, sure, that doesn't account for heroic agility or dex, but plenty of augs with good agi/dex have enough stamina/raw HP on them that I am not even remotely a pure stamina build.

You can, of course, find your own weighting system if you like. I'm just a nobody who made up numbers that sounded alright and applied them.
    Treiln likes this.
  14. Tucoh Augur

Ah i see.

Being on FV you'll have access to a lot of tradeable gear that will make it much easier to level up. The need to aug and AA up will be less. Best thing you and any other non boxing player can do is use that IRL charisma to ally up and find a consistent group of people to help carry you to endgame. Hang out in big guilds discords and get into some big guilds and you can claw to the top without boxing. But boxing will still make it essier.
    Treiln and Fenthen like this.
  15. Treiln Augur

This is reassuring at least. And I know Snowbound that came with....was that ToV? is an upgrade from Conflagrant so I should be able to hold out alright then.
  16. Chorus Augur

I use a warrior, and haven't bothered with augs at all since RoF era. As long as AA is up to snuff (-1 or 2 expansions is fine), I didn't really need the augs. I use a druid healer as well that is still very behind on heal AA, so it's not the cleric/sham healing superstar being in effect here. The exception was the shield aug, which I tank dual wield now so even that isn't really a thing since ToV. In short, get 'em when you feel you need 'em. Otherwise, don't think twice about it.
  17. Tucoh Augur

Yeah, if you don't need it, don't bother with it.

I definitely need the ~20k HP, ~1k AC the augs provide my tank. My tank has to handle one sloppy pull after another with no breaks to let defensive abilities refresh, or doing instances with as little healing as possible to maximize DPS. All while needing the ~350 hDex and ~800 attack from the augs to get my DPS high enough to keep the mob grinding machine churning.
  18. Chorus Augur

Aye. In my old age I don't like pulling 1/2 the zone anymore, too much work so I've toned it down quite a bit. :p