Suspended "cheating", not sure why, please help

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by PotatoPower, Nov 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PotatoPower Lorekeeper

Actually I got the GM email which said it is from using a VM machine dude. I didn't know why, at first, that's why I asked wtf I had done. They clarified with a follow up it was for a VM program. Which had been sitting on my PC in the background, put there by the guy who built my system, which until this I had no idea what it was. Never used it. Assumed it was some feature of windows, it was just a logo tucked out of sight which I'd never even clicked. Sent picture of my setup, two desktops side by side, to the GM in response to their email, accusing me of using VMs. I'll send another one (as I have offered to them to do) with a note saying anything they ask, to prove it's not a stock photo plucked off the web. Or with my photo ID, whatever.

Why are you trolls doing this? Give it a rest. We already got an unfair suspension for 2 days now, and maybe for 5 more to come, for something we didn't do. I think I have been punished more than enough considering I did not do this. I am trying to get this resolved by staff. People like you just love to sh*t on people with a genuine issue here don't you. Just enjoy the fact that some of us got a dose of misery and be happy knowing our day was made sh*tty already. You don't have to chime in and help make it worse dude.
    NameAlreadyInUse likes this.
  2. GNOME_POWER Augur

Did you update to windows 10 system 1909?
  3. Jimbob/Silvarfox Elder

Daybreak has certain algorithms they use to detect 3rd party software. Vm software etc. then bans are most like done automatic and generic email is sent to the person found in violation of their rules. If someone honestly was suspended for something they did not do and they can prove exactly why it happened daybreak will most likely help you. if you cannot prove anything then the suspension will stick.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  4. Nennius Curmudgeon

Explain??
  5. xmPradah Not a dude

I was playing during the suspensions, but we went back to live about 6 weeks ago - so if these were targeted at TLPs, I likely would be in the same situation as you if I'd been playing on Mangler. At least 2 of our computers have vm software installed, that we never use.

I'd be upset if I were in your shoes, guy. Some people on these forums are just the rejects of society, who happened to land here where they can stroke their own ego.
  6. Shanarias Augur

Don't any of you have a problem with DBG snooping your computers? It just boggles my mind that you "experts" don't have a problem with this. I am not saying this in order to troll. I have a problem with ANYONE nosing around my side of the Network Interface.
  7. KermittheFroglok Augur

No it doesn’t bother me and the Terms of Service make it very clear that by agreeing to the terms and using their services you consent to DBG monitoring what is going on in your computer. That’s somewhat common industry practice from what I’ve seen.
  8. That0neguy Augur

What they are snooping around in is a registry that is specifically built for programs to do that. What they are doing is not unique to any software you run.
  9. Nennius Curmudgeon

It is worth noting that DBG is not the only company that does not care for VMWare.

https://forums.pubg.com/topic/240371-vmware-not-allowed-program/

and

https://www.reddit.com/r/PUBATTLEGR..._battleye_saying_vmware_a_disallowed_program/

Just point at two different examples. What can bug me about this is the extent of what companies look at on my system. Cheating is a very serious issue IMHO, but can the solution go too far? How much intrusiveness is too much? I already assume that various and sundry governments have the capability to snoop on my life and might actually do so from time to time.

Years ago I had a close relative who had worked for the US government in a military capacity. :) He claimed that certain programs then in use would perk up their ears (so to speak) if particular words were thrown into the conversation. I have, and had, no way of knowing if that was true but it was fun to just throw words out and think that some poor NSA slob had to read a transcript of the conversation. Fun was where I could find it.
  10. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

You agree to it with the Terms of Service. I would be surprised if something similar wasn't in the Terms of Service of a lot of mmo games. Now you can argue that you want a choice in the matter and I guess you do. DBG clearly states they may check for cheating on your machine and if you don't want that don't play EQ. If enough folks feel that way then DBG would be forced to change that. Thing is they have been doing this for years under SOE before DBG so if people were going to leave they would have done so.

https://www.daybreakgames.com/terms-of-service

1. Collection and Use of Information about Your Computer
      We may collect certain information about your computer, such as the IP address, type of video card, size of hard drive, etc., and monitor the software and data on your computer, as reasonably necessary to assist us in optimizing the performance of our games and websites. We may also monitor the processes on your computer as reasonably necessary to detect unauthorized modifications to our game software and/or the use of software that enables or facilitates any kind of cheating
  11. PotatoPower Lorekeeper

I don't have a problem with this, if their detection doesn't make mistakes. Or if they can tell the difference between something installed in the background vs something being used with EQ.

At the moderator of this forum's request I added the information about my PC to my petition ticket. Didn't hear anything back. I followed up to ask if there's been any progress. Said he would check that they had received my email. That was today at 9.52am. Still waiting.
  12. PotatoPower Lorekeeper

As yet no response from anyone regarding the status of the ticket. I realize it's probable the suspension will run its course before this is even investigated, but I would like the suspension removed from my records moving forward, in case such a thing happens again and it's not doubly assumed I'm guilty next time due to this mistake.
  13. Brild0n New Member

I agree 100% PotatoPower, I knew from the start of this they wouldn't turn any decisions around in a week, still hopeful they will admit they made a mistake in some peoples cases and clean the records of those that didn't deserve the suspension but we will see
    PotatoPower likes this.
  14. PotatoPower Lorekeeper

Thanks - and yeah this is pretty much what I'm interested in at this point, since I'm about 36 hours away now from the full duration of this suspension I would just like for this to be taken off my record in case some similar circumstance comes up in future, and I'm not protesting a full ban if / when that occurs. A week's free play time and an apology wouldn't go astray either, but won't hold my breath. Customer service is not what it used to be.
  15. PotatoPower Lorekeeper

Still no update on the status of the investigation into the suspension. No response to emails. It seems the people who said when all this began to not bother were right after all.
  16. KermittheFroglok Augur

Being hyper critical of the Devs/CS staff probably won’t help your case. Especially if you’re arguement is that a banned program was just sitting there because someone else built your computer. If that’s the case I would be asking and complaining about that to the guy that built my PC, not DBG.

If there are false positives, then they need time to work through them, even if there aren’t I doubt you’ll get the desired results from any service organization if you keep publicly criticizing them on their own forums.

Two lessons to learn:

1) Do not run any form of VMware when you’re playing EQ. You’re not supposed to use it and no one has given a real (logical) reason that it would be on while playing a TLP. It’s never been a secret that they don’t like VMware.

2) Do not complain constantly to everyone about the people you’re trying to get your suspension lifted by. Do you think a police officer would let you off with a warning if your start shouting out the car window at him in public?

I’m not trying to be mean I’m just trying to advise you on how to handle future situations differently.
  17. Svann2 The Magnificent

My read on that is they are looking for cheat software, not vmware. Since vmware is not generally considered cheatware, they should specify in the ToS that vmware is bannable, and not just in some dev forum post from years ago.
  18. PotatoPower Lorekeeper

The issue people are having is, many had VM ware installed on their machines for completely unrelated purposes, they weren't running EQ through it. For work, as a standard feature for some laptop operating systems, or to play other games where it was allowed, or in my case not even aware it was there. Whatever detection they used picked up the presence of VM software and flagged those accounts. I've seen players who use VMware for work / business asking repeatedly for clarification on the rules since this event. As yet that's not been addressed by staff. People may rightly say the TOS say they can suspend for any reason at any time at their sole discretion. Sure. As someone who wants a healthy future for the game I'd advise against that mentality and practice.

There may be future waves of suspension and more people hit who weren't using a VM for EQ.
  19. PotatoPower Lorekeeper

You must not have read the other threads. All of that has been thrashed out in depth. People have them on their machines for work, or their business, etc etc etc. Check out the various threads in the TLP section, such as the locked one titled "So". There's nothing illogical about it in most cases. Even if it is allowed to play on some other game but isn't being used for EQ, what business or concern is that for DBG? If a person is not breaking their rule with some software, why hand out suspensions?

As for your second comment, I did not begin by constantly complaining. I began by politely inquiring, directly to the staff at first. I continued to politely inquire. Then I came here to inquire. There was not much by way of answer provided - an email which said "cheating", a follow up which said "VMs were used", and that was it. Of course a lot of forum trolls commenced a gaslighting campaign to provoke people with sarcastic remarks and insults and accusations. The game is, they provoke you, and provoke you again, till you bite, and then they can say "ooohhh look he is acting provoked, we don't like this person, now you don't have our sympathies, now we really truly don't believe you, or now we believe you but we don't like how you're talking so you deserve it." Why do this? Because it indicates an extremely sick mind with a very deep and incurable mental illness which we need not go into here.

As time drew out and the questions remained unanswered, both in my own personal case and in the wider sense of clarity for the players at large, yes I grew more frustrated and found there was some just cause for complaint. Some people complain because they mean the company ill, some people complain because they want to draw the attention of the company to very unwise business practice. Kind of like how if the owner of a Macdonalds knew the burger maker was spitting in the burgers and calling the customers a racist name, you would be doing him a favor to call attention to it so he could fix the problem and not drive away the customers. Once upon a time this was regarded as honest feedback and it was something companies valued. I guess those days are gone as are the days when your customers weren't treated as an annoyance to be tolerated by the company staff, or maybe better yet gotten rid of so it's less work for you. And as for "future situations", the whole point is to make sure there are no such future situations. Let's see if this sort of thing happens to you how zen you are.
  20. muchacha New Member

incibile people working in daybreak, suspended friends acc for 7 days what I was launched on pc where was installed VM, it was in background, i just realised when they suspended!
    PotatoPower likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.